Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 05 Oct 2010 (Tuesday) 20:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Wedding

shutterbugcrazy
458 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 05, 2010 20:57 |  #1

I really have no plans on doing weddings but my wifes cousin was getting married cheaply and I was "recruited" to be the photographer. For the most part they turned out fine even though the church was not very appealing.. What advice or compliments do you have on these three. I decided to learn layer masks and I'm playing with some of the shots before I give them the prints..

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/36095​6144097830 (external link)

sponsored links
Danimal_inc
344 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 05, 2010 21:01 |  #2

im personally not a fan of the selective coloring.

and the mirror shot is a nice idea, but in the bathroom is just kind of weird. if you couldnt tell it was a bathroom it would be good. but the toilet paper/paper towels/hamper kill them.

the first one is pretty nice other than the selective coloring.

Gripped 5DMkII * Gripped 30D * Canon 85mm ƒ1.8 * Canon 17-40mm ƒ4L * Canon 70-200mm ƒ4L IS * Canon 580EXII Flash
My Flickr (external link)
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."

FamilyJules
Goldmember
3,104 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 05, 2010 21:02 |  #3

The first advice everyone here will give you is to not use selective coloring. Some people still like it, but it's a very dated process.
Try to stick with things that will stand the test of time.

Can you post more than three? It's hard enough to get an idea of how you did with our 8 photo limit, but 3 is really limiting.... And post either black and white or color photos.

*Jules* Gear: 2 x 7D| 40D | 2 x 17-55 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 85 1.4 | 70-200 2.8 IS |28-135 IS | 3 x 580EX II | www.JulieWilsonPhotos.​com (external link) or join me on Facebook (external link)

shutterbugcrazy
THREAD ­ STARTER
458 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 05, 2010 21:06 |  #4

Danimal_inc wrote in post #11041805 (external link)
im personally not a fan of the selective coloring.

and the mirror shot is a nice idea, but in the bathroom is just kind of weird. if you couldnt tell it was a bathroom it would be good. but the toilet paper/paper towels/hamper kill them.

the first one is pretty nice other than the selective coloring.

I know but the only mirrors in the place was the bathrooms, it was a very cluttered and old church so not very photogenic.

shutterbugcrazy
THREAD ­ STARTER
458 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 05, 2010 21:37 |  #5

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Any techniques for removing flash shadows?

bbvdm
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 06, 2010 07:32 |  #6

shutterbugcrazy wrote in post #11041846 (external link)
...old church so not very photogenic.

I have no idea what the church looked like, but an old church could be extremely cool to create nice images. Just a thought.

Canon 5D MkII gripped, Canon 7D gripped, Canon 40D gripped, Canon XTI (IR) gripped, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 60 Macro 2.8, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS , Canon 24-105 4.0, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sekonic L-358, Canon Speedlite 580-EX II, (2)430-EX, Pocket Wizards, lots of other stuff that seems to keep growing...:lol:

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 06, 2010 13:23 |  #7

"Any techniques for removing flash shadows?"

Learn how to bounce the flash and you won't have to correct the shadows in post-process.

Enough has been said about selective color and I will concur - ditch it pls.

Watch your background for unwanted objects like the toilet paper and garbage bins. It's kinda hard to comment since the shots are not numbered...wish they were laughing in the last one, they look lost.

Otherwise I think you did well for your first wedding, keep shooting!

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

shutterbugcrazy
THREAD ­ STARTER
458 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 08, 2010 22:25 |  #8

Svetlana wrote in post #11046177 (external link)
"Any techniques for removing flash shadows?"

Learn how to bounce the flash and you won't have to correct the shadows in post-process.

I did... I rubber banded a piece of white foam arts and crafts paper to the head of the flash and rotated the flash head up. I had it set to ettl and I'm wondering if cutting the flash stength might have prevented the shadows. I never sue my flash much.

Yeoer
804 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 09, 2010 04:29 |  #9

When you say you rubber banded a bit of card i'm assuming that was to act as a white card refector? ie, a small flat bit of card on top of the flash head pointing straight forward so when the head is rotated up the light will bounce of it towards the subject correct? or did you bend the foam around to make a soften style flash head?

In either case you'll quite often get harsh shadows, the perpose of the white card refectors is ususally to add a little direct flash to the subject to add a highlight to the eyes, lovely for the news papers but i find not so good for wedding shots, the soften style diffusers can be quite good if the ceilings are very high or the subject is allong way from a surface to bounce off, but for me if your going to bounce the flash, blounce it from where the natural light is coming from, your pictures will look natural but with better lighting, i also like to add a bit extra to the flash to really make the colours pop.

At a recent weeding i was talking to one of the bridesmaids and she was asking a few questions about why this and that, one question was why was my flash pointing all over the place!

I took the first shot to show her what the pictures would look like if i just snapped away... then i took the second shot to show her what my pictures will look like because my flash is being used properly...

1. Direct nasty flash!

IMAGE: http://www.nyphotographic.co.uk/share/flash2.jpg

2. Bounced flash with no flash head reflectors or soften diffuser.
IMAGE: http://www.nyphotographic.co.uk/share/flash1.jpg

Not a wedding sample but if you look in the lttle girls eye you will see the big light pool created by the bounced flash oh yeah and me too lol, so it no wonder all the shadows are soft.

IMAGE: http://www.nyphotographic.co.uk/share/24-70_fs.JPG

Canon 5D MarkII, 40D, 350D, EOS100, G10. Canon 24-105 F4 L, 85mm, 400mm F5.6, 50mm F1.8, 18-55mm, Sigma 10-20, 100-300mm, Canon 28-105 F3.5-F4.5, Kenko x1.4, Tubes and a bunch of Elinchrom Lights, flashes, reflectors and triggers.

shutterbugcrazy
THREAD ­ STARTER
458 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 09, 2010 11:36 |  #10

So a correct bounce is to let it travel to the ceiling? Trust me when I really have no plans on doing more weddings but learning correct flash usuage is on my must learn list..

Yeoer
804 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 09, 2010 12:12 |  #11

Ceiling/wall/ large object anything which is going to let the light bounce off it, be carefull though, if a wall or object is a colour it will change the colour temperature of the light on the subject so it best to shoot RAW to make white balance correction easier after.

Canon 5D MarkII, 40D, 350D, EOS100, G10. Canon 24-105 F4 L, 85mm, 400mm F5.6, 50mm F1.8, 18-55mm, Sigma 10-20, 100-300mm, Canon 28-105 F3.5-F4.5, Kenko x1.4, Tubes and a bunch of Elinchrom Lights, flashes, reflectors and triggers.

shutterbugcrazy
THREAD ­ STARTER
458 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 11, 2010 18:22 |  #12

Thank you Yeoer

sponsored links

2,090 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.