Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 27, 2010 21:30 |  #181

Apparently it works fine (external link) though, but i'll compare with the dedicated player when it arrives.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
Paulos75
541 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 28, 2010 00:08 |  #182

tim wrote in post #11166208 (external link)
Samsung 50" 3D Plasma, with 3D blu ray player and 2 pairs of 3D glasses for $2800. Plus receiver, speakers, and PS3. It's all here, i'll set it up Wednesday or Thursday evening.

Bugger, I paid $3180 for the same system a couple of months ago, always happens.

The 3D movie that comes with the package (Monsters vs Aliens) plays fine on the PS3, just make sure you've updated the PS3 software to the latest version, 3.5 I think, which includes the upgrade for 3D. You also need to have a high speed HDMI cable.

You might get lucky but don't count on Samsung sending the player, glasses and movie package that quickly. Mine took an age to get here, with the help of a couple of prompting e-mails. I'm just waiting for GT5 to come out, it's going to be awesome.

Photo wise my S95 arrived yesterday, awesome little unit, can't wait to try it out properly this weekend. Underwater housing arrives tomorrow:D

Cheers, Paul.
If it moves, shoot it. If it shoots back, get a bigger lens.
Gear: A slowly but surely growing list of mainly Canon bits and pieces.
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)Facebook (external link)

momentz
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 28, 2010 01:49 |  #183

RobDickinson wrote in post #11178007 (external link)
Ah not sure how important that is realy. Havnt seen any 3D stuff on TV's.

PS3 is HDMI 1.3, 1080p 3D requires HDMI 1.4 is all.

PS3 updates in September enabled it to play 3D movies at 1080p . Games are limited to 720p by Sony due to the hardware as they typically need to run at a frame rate above 24fps to look smooth.

3D at home is a fad anyway, next to nobody in the gadget world seriously believes it has any more sticking power this time round.

Canon EOS
Eos is the Titanic goddess of the dawn, who rose from her home at the edge of Oceanus, the Ocean that surrounds the world, to herald her brother Helios, the sun.

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 28, 2010 05:00 |  #184

I made sure my cables were 1.4a spec before I bought them. I'm sure Samsung will take their time, and i'll prompt them if needed, how long did it take for yours to turn up? I consider 3D a bonus, not a major selling point. If the 50" Plasma didn't have 3D I may have gone for the 55" LCD, because otherwise they were about the same. I'm already thinking the power usage, burn in (seen it already, but it went away), and slower response means maybe LCD would've been better... but the picture is just awesome. Loving the 5.1 sound too, better than a movie theatre as it's set up for you!

I got a Netgear home powerline networking kit, it works quite well. When the Plasma screen's off I get 15Mbps or more, when it's turned on I get 6Mbps or so. Close to the transmitter I get 15+ Mbps. I'm considering looking into line conditioners for the home theatre equipment to help improve my network speed, though it's probably good enough since I doubt i'll be playing 1080p material from the PC.

My next challenge: cooling everything. It gets pretty warm in the cabinet, if I had the doors closed there'd be no airflow at all. I'll either have to get a couple of PC fans and rig up a power supply or buy something from ebay, unless someone can suggest something.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Her_B4
180 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 29, 2010 01:06 |  #185

manipula wrote in post #11159659 (external link)
I went to see the Brian Brake exhibition at Te Papa today with Bruce/tongmaster. Was lovely actually and very positive to see photography being given such a stage in the national museum, contrary to the common beliefs of many institutions that photography's not art. Also saw Chrissie/Her B4 there, but before we crossed paths as we filed around she'd vanished. :( Good to see the Welly gang turning out though. :D

Expensive selection of Lecias on display too, does nothing for my desire to have one... :confused::cry:

Anyone in Wellington between now and May *has* to go.

Totally recommend the exhibition - also very pleased to see the size and quality of the display.

Next time foot trip me Dave :cool:

http://wfphotography.b​logspot.com/ (external link)

Paulos75
541 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 29, 2010 01:38 |  #186

tim wrote in post #11180037 (external link)
I made sure my cables were 1.4a spec before I bought them. I'm sure Samsung will take their time, and i'll prompt them if needed, how long did it take for yours to turn up? I consider 3D a bonus, not a major selling point. If the 50" Plasma didn't have 3D I may have gone for the 55" LCD, because otherwise they were about the same. I'm already thinking the power usage, burn in (seen it already, but it went away), and slower response means maybe LCD would've been better... but the picture is just awesome. Loving the 5.1 sound too, better than a movie theatre as it's set up for you!

I got a Netgear home powerline networking kit, it works quite well. When the Plasma screen's off I get 15Mbps or more, when it's turned on I get 6Mbps or so. Close to the transmitter I get 15+ Mbps. I'm considering looking into line conditioners for the home theatre equipment to help improve my network speed, though it's probably good enough since I doubt i'll be playing 1080p material from the PC.

My next challenge: cooling everything. It gets pretty warm in the cabinet, if I had the doors closed there'd be no airflow at all. I'll either have to get a couple of PC fans and rig up a power supply or buy something from ebay, unless someone can suggest something.

It was just short of 2 months, which in reality isn't too bad. What got me was I had a quick response via e-mail, within a couple of days of submitting the redemption form, saying we're busy processing blah blah, you can expect delivery in about 2 weeks. After odd 5 weeks I sent them an e-mail to which they apologised saying It'll be with me in 2 weeks. 3 weeks later it arrived.

No big deal, the only thing that's come out of the box is the DVD, just if you say you're going to do something then do it, don't wait for the customer to query/complain.

Cheers, Paul.
If it moves, shoot it. If it shoots back, get a bigger lens.
Gear: A slowly but surely growing list of mainly Canon bits and pieces.
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)Facebook (external link)

momentz
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 29, 2010 04:58 |  #187

tim wrote in post #11180037 (external link)

That's interesting to hear. I did wonder what the speed would be like with various power loads on the line. It's so tempting to see if you could drop a network cable down the same hole through the nogs/studs that the power cable uses at our place.

Canon EOS
Eos is the Titanic goddess of the dawn, who rose from her home at the edge of Oceanus, the Ocean that surrounds the world, to herald her brother Helios, the sun.

dgcorner
Goldmember
4,722 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 29, 2010 12:58 |  #188

momentz wrote in post #11186339 (external link)
That's interesting to hear. I did wonder what the speed would be like with various power loads on the line. It's so tempting to see if you could drop a network cable down the same hole through the nogs/studs that the power cable uses at our place.

I saw this electrician work through the "nogs/Studs" by first tying(?) the end of an original cable in the outlet with some sturdy line/cord. He then yanked the cable/wires + cord up into the ceiling then added the new wire into the group, came down and pulled the cord down with everything with it -- he made it look so easy!

John;)

Believe... Work hard... and it will happen!

My Gear

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 29, 2010 13:08 |  #189

dgcorner wrote in post #11188357 (external link)
I saw this electrician work through the "nogs/Studs" by first tying(?) the end of an original cable in the outlet with some sturdy line/cord. He then yanked the cable/wires + cord up into the ceiling then added the new wire into the group, came down and pulled the cord down with everything with it -- he made it look so easy!

Builders twine - the stuff for making level lines (without the chalk dust in it). Works great. It's how I wired up network in my house. I used the phone line as the draw line, as it should be in it's own hole through the nogs, so should have more space to thread another cable (or 4) through. Much easier to do if you have two people - one in the roof, one downstairs, as if it snags, you can pull the wire back a bit, and try again.

Also - I used electrical tape to tape the feed wire, and drawstring together. I also when feeding the new wire all back together - made sure that there was a draw string left in the wall, so If I needed to run another wire in the future, there is already the drawstring to use (attaching a new drawstring to it as well).

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

dgcorner
Goldmember
4,722 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 29, 2010 18:57 |  #190

pleb1024 wrote in post #11188413 (external link)
Builders twine - the stuff for making level lines (without the chalk dust in it). Works great. It's how I wired up network in my house. I used the phone line as the draw line, as it should be in it's own hole through the nogs, so should have more space to thread another cable (or 4) through. Much easier to do if you have two people - one in the roof, one downstairs, as if it snags, you can pull the wire back a bit, and try again.

Also - I used electrical tape to tape the feed wire, and drawstring together. I also when feeding the new wire all back together - made sure that there was a draw string left in the wall, so If I needed to run another wire in the future, there is already the drawstring to use (attaching a new drawstring to it as well).

Daniel

That about sums it up! ;)

John;)

Believe... Work hard... and it will happen!

My Gear

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 29, 2010 19:32 |  #191

momentz wrote in post #11186339 (external link)

I played with it some more last night. The speed varies between 6Mbps and 14Mbps depending on where the transmitter and receiver are, and averages about 7-8Mbps. That's nothing like the 100Mbps claimed, but it's still better than having to run a cable, and that would be quite difficult here.

Moving the transmitter off a multibox helped, as did turning off the plasma screen and all the small transformers powering things around the house.

Mevunky
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 29, 2010 19:39 |  #192

Why don't you just use wifi? N can happily do 100mbit sustained these days no issues, I can transfer around my house at roughly 120-130mbit sustained or so with MIMO N on 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands.

flickr (external link) - So much gear, so little skill.

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 29, 2010 20:22 |  #193

I don't know why but the PS3 just doesn't work well with WiFi. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The wired option seems more reliable. I was going to put a wireless receiver/switch behind the TV and trick it into thinking it was a wired network, but the powerline stuff works fine so i'll stick with that.

I can stream regular TV fine, just not sure about 720p. I can always copy it to the ps3 then watch it, though it's more of a pita.

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 29, 2010 20:35 |  #194

tim wrote in post #11190623 (external link)
I don't know why but the PS3 just doesn't work well with WiFi. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The wired option seems more reliable. I was going to put a wireless receiver/switch behind the TV and trick it into thinking it was a wired network, but the powerline stuff works fine so i'll stick with that.

I can stream regular TV fine, just not sure about 720p. I can always copy it to the ps3 then watch it, though it's more of a pita.

I use powerline (200mbps version) here. I can stream 720p and 1080i fine. 1080p doesnt work well enough for my liking. I think the software I'm using just needs a bigger buffer to smooth out the peaks and troughs a bit. I've actually found when I was testing I wasn't getting great speeds, but when used for real it works fine. It really works well when it's on the same power circuit.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 29, 2010 21:06 |  #195

When I have the PS3 do a download it gets about 1MB/sec, which is about the same as the tests. 720p streams fine, 1080p is way too much for it.

I could tweak things to make them go faster, but I don't think i'll bother.

sponsored links

2,079,904 views & 1,444 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.