Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 30, 2010 02:32 |  #196

dgcorner wrote in post #11188357 (external link)
I saw this electrician work through the "nogs/Studs" by first tying(?) the end of an original cable in the outlet with some sturdy line/cord. He then yanked the cable/wires + cord up into the ceiling then added the new wire into the group, came down and pulled the cord down with everything with it -- he made it look so easy!

I tried that once with a power cable as the original. It turns out that the building codes in the U.S. require power wires to be stapled to the studs. Plus they only drill the holes barely big enough for the wire they're running through. I wound up learning a lot about patching drywall.

When we remodeled our kitchen, I insisted on running an extra empty conduit for future use. Didn't bother with a pull wire, since conduit makes it pretty easy to snake a pull through.

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

sponsored links
Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,981 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 01, 2010 03:44 |  #197

Right, I'm heading to Wellington on the 1st of December and have to back at work on the 8th.

Anyone got a spare bed? :cool:

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

Mevunky
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 01, 2010 03:54 |  #198

Ahhh haha im going to Auckland that week.

flickr (external link) - So much gear, so little skill.

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,981 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 01, 2010 04:02 |  #199

Mevunky wrote in post #11202731 (external link)
Ahhh haha im going to Auckland that week.

:lol::lol::lol:

My cousin is getting married on the weekend, so I thought I would come down early and see who's free for a shoot and a beer :cool:

When are you coming up this way? Might be able to meet in the middle, or catch up before the other leaves.....

flickr (external link)

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

momentz
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 01, 2010 04:58 |  #200

Mevunky wrote in post #11190426 (external link)
Why don't you just use wifi? N can happily do 100mbit sustained these days no issues, I can transfer around my house at roughly 120-130mbit sustained or so with MIMO N on 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands.

PS3 is B/G only, no N (although you could use two N APs as a bridge). Also, WiFi on the PS3 is ok (not good enough for streaming though) so long as you leave it out in the open. The minute you put it into an entertainment cabinet under your tv, kiss wifi goodbye.

Canon EOS
Eos is the Titanic goddess of the dawn, who rose from her home at the edge of Oceanus, the Ocean that surrounds the world, to herald her brother Helios, the sun.

Mevunky
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 01, 2010 05:02 |  #201

Moppie wrote in post #11202751 (external link)
:lol::lol::lol:

My cousin is getting married on the weekend, so I thought I would come down early and see who's free for a shoot and a beer :cool:

When are you coming up this way? Might be able to meet in the middle, or catch up before the other leaves.....

Flying on the Wed 1st for two days of work related goodies, then holiday Fri-Sun. Will drink beer and consume pizza anytime as will Dave, this is all that matters.

Mevunky
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 01, 2010 05:04 |  #202

momentz wrote in post #11202852 (external link)
PS3 is B/G only, no N (although you could use two N APs as a bridge). Also, WiFi on the PS3 is ok (not good enough for streaming though) so long as you leave it out in the open. The minute you put it into an entertainment cabinet under your tv, kiss wifi goodbye.

All sounds a bit nasty :( I guess it doesn't support adding another via USB either I bet. Bridges are very cool if done right, I got some nice bridging going on at work with Xirrus units (about 6k each) and the MIMO speeds on the bridge are amazing.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 01, 2010 05:17 |  #203

momentz wrote in post #11202852 (external link)

Yep that was my experience. Even a bit of distance screws it up, even if my iPod works fine.

Mevunky wrote in post #11202871 (external link)
All sounds a bit nasty :( I guess it doesn't support adding another via USB either I bet. Bridges are very cool if done right, I got some nice bridging going on at work with Xirrus units (about 6k each) and the MIMO speeds on the bridge are amazing.

I considered that, and I may still try it one day. The powerline networking only gets me 12Mbps, which is honestly enough for now.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

tongmaster
547 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 01, 2010 14:02 |  #204

Moppie wrote in post #11202706 (external link)
Right, I'm heading to Wellington on the 1st of December and have to back at work on the 8th.

Anyone got a spare bed? :cool:

Bugger. Wife and I are at the rowing champs at Lake Karapiro all week,

Canon 5D MkII, 24-105 F4L IS, Flickr (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 01, 2010 18:51 |  #205

Heh I'm in welly on thursday/friday. work tho :(

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

North ­ of ­ Auckland
731 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 02, 2010 02:11 as a reply to  @ RobDickinson's post |  #206

If anyone is interested Chris Sisarich (from New Zealand's Next Top Model) is online at the moment answering questions http://www.hellophoto.​co.nz …stions-for-Chris-Sisarich (external link)

Sorry, not meant as SPAM :oops:

A photo :lol:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

10 year old killer vampire from hell. (external link) by Ashley Daws aka North of Auckland (external link), on Flickr

My Flickr photostream (external link)

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 02, 2010 22:21 |  #207

Hey all... Back from a great wee holiday.

All this talk of home theatre has made me realise I will be without my 110" screen for however long it takes to have my house rebuilt :| This seriously sucks as I use it 2 - 3 nights a week.

Camera accessories? www.phototools.co.nz (external link) | Studio Lighting? www.studio-lighting.co.nz (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 02, 2010 22:33 |  #208

110", is that a projector? Or are you secretly selling herb?! ;)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 02, 2010 23:30 |  #209

Yeah it's a projector, my 3rd, have had one for the last 9 years :) Simply cant beat the size! Actually I think its a 118" screen, can't remember, I bought a new screen a few months back.

Camera accessories? www.phototools.co.nz (external link) | Studio Lighting? www.studio-lighting.co.nz (external link)

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,981 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 02, 2010 23:51 |  #210

RobDickinson wrote in post #11207091 (external link)
Heh I'm in welly on thursday/friday. work tho :(

Do they let you out for Beer and Pizza? :cool:

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,541,924 views & 1,570 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.