Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 20, 2010 19:29 |  #331

I just returned my 50" Samsung Plasma. The buzzing, halos around moving objects (mostly caused by anti jitter feature), and burn-in got to me. I've exchanged it for a 55" LCD Samsung, which looks almost as good, no buzzing, less power usage, and less blurring. No 3D and the picture isn't quite as crisp or the blacks quite as good, but on balance better for me.

The Onkyo receiver, Wharfdale speakers, and PS3 are doing great though. Just having fun with the home network trying to get it working, i'll probably have to give up and run an ethernet cable under the house.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
momentz
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 20, 2010 20:54 |  #332

Hey Tim, what model wharfedales did you get? Any positives / negatives about them? Audiophiles seem to scorn them as entry-level, but they sound pretty good to me in the stores I've heard them.

Canon EOS
Eos is the Titanic goddess of the dawn, who rose from her home at the edge of Oceanus, the Ocean that surrounds the world, to herald her brother Helios, the sun.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 20, 2010 21:45 |  #333

Wharfedale Vardus. They're definitely entry level, but they sound amazing compared with the $400 stereo I had before. They cost $1200 less 20% at L V Martin.

I know i'll want to upgrade to something better in a year or three, they sound pretty great but they're not perfect. I suspect it'll be the main speakers that'd be upgraded first, then the centre.

Incidentally L V Martin has been fantastic with replacing the first TV and then letting me change to an LCD. There've been no extra charges other than a delivery fee, whereas I think a restock fee would've been quite reasonable given they can't sell them as new now. I'll buy anything I can from them in the future.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 20, 2010 23:25 |  #334

weka2000 wrote in post #11318784 (external link)
Thought I better break our 2 day silence, must be a GKPE record. :lol:

Doesn't help when the laptop dies.... RIP my 3 year old thing, its been slowly dying over the last 6 months or so, and finally gave up the ghost Thursday night. Now have a brand new i5 460m based laptop, so may not have to use the desktop for processing large stuff now...:cool:

momentz wrote in post #11319345 (external link)
Hey Tim, what model wharfedales did you get? Any positives / negatives about them? Audiophiles seem to scorn them as entry-level, but they sound pretty good to me in the stores I've heard them.

I had a set of Wharfedale Crystal bought from Hardly Normal in 04 (about $1200 back then). Sold them when i shifted to the US. For me - best bang for the buck. Massive difference between them and the cheap end stereo speakers, and I couldnt tell the difference between them and the higher (at twice or more the price) end speakers. When you get into the higher end gear - it's a lot like photograph forums - the smallest little details, or a weird happenings in certain rare scenarios tend to get blown out of proportion. For me the wharfedales were the best balance between getting good quality, and still having a bank account balance.

Negatives seem to be the subs arent the best. Mine started having problems with autopower off not working (at about 4 years old), and my brothers did the great puff of electrical smoke at about 2.5-3 years old. neither were abused by overstressing the speaker.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 20, 2010 23:26 |  #335

I'd be interested to hear how the i5 laptop does for image processing.

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 21, 2010 00:25 |  #336

Well I've been busy setting myself up on redbubble (external link) in some vain hope to put together a calender for the folks , still ripping though my back catalog of images, slowly, oooh so slowly..:(

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,197 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 21, 2010 02:04 |  #337

Evening all

Nothing interesting from me, very busy, just finished trying to catch up on paperwork.

Also, just finished voting in the Canon Photo 5 comp. None of mine made the cut but worth while having a vote.

Got another funeral to photograph on either Wed. or Thursday, another one of Fiony's uncles.

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 21, 2010 06:04 |  #338

RobDickinson wrote in post #11320003 (external link)
Well I've been busy setting myself up on redbubble (external link) in some vain hope to put together a calender for the folks , still ripping though my back catalog of images, slowly, oooh so slowly..:(

Hey Rob, would still be keen to catch up for an outing one day/evening soon if you were keen.

Camera accessories? www.phototools.co.nz (external link) | Studio Lighting? www.studio-lighting.co.nz (external link)

dgcorner
Goldmember
4,722 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 21, 2010 23:31 |  #339

Good evening all! Just thought I would pop in to say hello.

Things are still moving quickly at work... and I am finally getting things sorted to my liking -- enough stocks = less stress... I can start focusing on gaining new business... not that there is any to be had at this time of the year when food companies are focusing on getting their Christmas stocks built. Oh well, there's 2011 to look forward to!

John;)

Believe... Work hard... and it will happen!

My Gear

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 22, 2010 01:47 |  #340

Mark, sure! Ak I usualy have no fixed schedule or anything and go shoot when light or time allow... I also want a few flash modifiers/toys etc but not entirely sure what!

May be off this weekend somewhere fun who knows?

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

tongmaster
547 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 22, 2010 02:58 as a reply to  @ RobDickinson's post |  #341

Boys fishing trip was cancelled at short notice last week so decided to use the tickets to Queenstown and visit family and friends in Southland. The weather was not great for photography but I didn't let that stop me take a few.

The set of 16 is on my Flickr.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D MkII, 24-105 F4L IS, Flickr (external link)

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 22, 2010 06:35 |  #342

RobDickinson wrote in post #11325157 (external link)
Mark, sure! Ak I usualy have no fixed schedule or anything and go shoot when light or time allow... I also want a few flash modifiers/toys etc but not entirely sure what!

May be off this weekend somewhere fun who knows?

Wednesdays and Saturdays I can be free at pretty short notice, very keen to get out and experiment more, especially with landscape stuff and you certainly seem to know what you're doing :)

I'd also be up for day trips to the lakes and that kind of thing, motivate each other and split the gas :)

Camera accessories? www.phototools.co.nz (external link) | Studio Lighting? www.studio-lighting.co.nz (external link)

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 22, 2010 07:22 |  #343

tim wrote in post #11318969 (external link)
I just returned my 50" Samsung Plasma. The buzzing, halos around moving objects (mostly caused by anti jitter feature), and burn-in got to me. I've exchanged it for a 55" LCD Samsung, which looks almost as good, no buzzing, less power usage, and less blurring. No 3D and the picture isn't quite as crisp or the blacks quite as good, but on balance better for me.

The Onkyo receiver, Wharfdale speakers, and PS3 are doing great though. Just having fun with the home network trying to get it working, i'll probably have to give up and run an ethernet cable under the house.

I just connected my ps3 via ethernet cable after I tried to watch a movie from my Home server which kept on jumping. I ripped it at a quality setting too high & the wlan just couldn't hack it.
Makes everything smoother and faster. Well worth it.

RobDickinson wrote in post #11320003 (external link)

I plan to start on that project tonight ! :(

tongmaster wrote in post #11325280 (external link)
Boys fishing trip was cancelled at short notice last week so decided to use the tickets to Queenstown and visit family and friends in Southland. The weather was not great for photography but I didn't let that stop me take a few.

The set of 16 is on my Flickr.

Looks cool.
A colleague of mine just arrived back from N.Z. yesterday after 3 weeks holiday there. Had great weather & a great time..

Managed to do my tax yesterday... Another job I have been pushing in front of me for ages done.

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

scotttnz
"tick, tick, tick, tick......"
3,925 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Nov 22, 2010 11:55 as a reply to  @ akiwi's post |  #344

momentz wrote in post #11319345 (external link)

tim wrote in post #11319520 (external link)
Wharfedale Vardus. They're definitely entry level, but they sound amazing compared with the $400 stereo I had before. They cost $1200 less 20% at L V Martin.

I have Diamond 8s which I have been very happy with. The Diamonds are the next model up from the Vardus. The Diamond 10s have just been released, so there might be some good deals around on the 9s?

I wasn't very impressed with the matching Warfedale sub though, so got something else that was better for the price.

Audiophiles will always scorn "cheap" speakers, even ones that sound 100 times better than a HTIB, but the fact is that the law of diminising returns applies to speakers as much as anything else. So work out how much you want to spend, and find something that sounds good to YOU for that price.

Ex CANON 5D owner - defected to m4/3
Bodies: Panasonic G9|GX85 DJI Mavic Pro
Zooms: Panasonic 7-14 f4|12-35 f2.8|35-100 f2.8|100-300 II f4-5.6|14-140 f3.5-5.6
Primes: Panasonic Leica 15 f1.7|25 f1.4|42.5 f1.2 Olympus 60 f2.8 Macro

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 22, 2010 13:38 |  #345

The wharfdale sub isn't great, it bottoms out pretty quickly. I might upgrade it one day. For now I just don't run it too loud.

My wireless bridge works well... except the Linksys keeps forgetting the settings when I leave the power off so I have to do them again. I'll run an ethernet cable once I get a bit drill bit and work out a nice way.

sponsored links

2,542,223 views & 1,570 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.