Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,832 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 18, 2018 01:25 |  #8266

that is my brother outside the queens house in London.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

sponsored links
kiwichris
I forget how I didded that!
2,691 posts
Gallery: 117 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 23, 2018 05:20 |  #8267

Seeing as I have slowed considerably in my picture taking adventures I have cancelled my Adobe subscription, so I guess it is non nerd me learning to use Onone which I have not had a lot of success with in the past. I do feel I would like to sell my 6D but have not considered with what to replace it, but I should imagine it will be something small and light and versatile. Cell phone maybe? I think not I prefer my cam to concentrate on being a cam, not making phone calls.

Panasonic Lumix G9 and lenses from 7mm wide to 300mm long.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chriswaynzpics/ (external link)

Potisdad
664 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited 7 months ago by Potisdad.

Mar 23, 2018 14:49 as a reply to  @ kiwichris's post |  #8268

Have you considered trying a small prime on your 6D Chris? My 5D and a 35mm fits in my jacket pocket.

David

kiwichris
2,691 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited 7 months ago by kiwichris with reason 'wrong they're!'.

Mar 23, 2018 16:55 as a reply to  @ Potisdad's post |  #8269

I learned on 35 mm film and small primes, I avoided them like the plague, foot zoom indeed, but they have their place. Nah I am just not well, infirm and find the 6D quite heavy to hold, and hold my breathe to take a shot. Can't do it I am afraid.

scotttnz
"tick, tick, tick, tick......"
3,872 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Mar 23, 2018 23:30 as a reply to  @ kiwichris's post |  #8270

Chris, I don’t want to appear as if I’m blindly promoting the gear I use, because really it isn’t for everyone, but from what you have said micro 4/3 might be ideal for you. With body size and weight ranging from tiny to similar to a small DSLR, and lenses much smaller and lighter than full frame and aps-c. Current m4/3 cameras also have excellent stabilisation. Olympus in body stabilisation is probably the best in the industry, and recent Panasonic’s combine in body with in lens stabilisation for up to 6.5 stops stabilisation with comparable lenses. There is a huge range of native lenses too.
Of course there is no free lunch, the main trade offs with the smaller sensor are less DOF control, and more high ISO noise. I don’t shoot in low light often, and am often looking for more DOF rather than less, so the system works for me. (and when I do want shallow DOF I just use a fast prime)
I’ll stop rambling, but if you are interested I’m happy to answer any questions. Or have a look over at mu-43.com they are a helpful bunch.

Ex CANON 5D owner - defected to m4/3
Bodies: Panasonic G9|GX85 DJI Mavic Pro
Zooms: Panasonic 7-14 f4|12-35 f2.8|35-100 f2.8|100-300 II f4-5.6|14-140 f3.5-5.6
Primes: Panasonic Leica 15 f1.7|25 f1.4|42.5 f1.2 Olympus 60 f2.8 Macro

kiwichris
2,691 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 24, 2018 17:35 as a reply to  @ scotttnz's post |  #8271

Scott, that is actually good advice and am looking into it. Doing a little research I found this review and a stunning gallery of pics.

http://aurelm.com …m1-mark-2-english-review/ (external link)

Seeing as most of my interest is recording? style landscapes I rarely now look for shallow depth of field and feel latest trend towards razor thin DOF sort of I feel makes sum subjects look like caricatures rather than making the most of their beauty. My opinion of course.

I will definately be looking into your format, and strangely loved the retro looking cameras when I bought the 6D. I do prefer dials to menus! Now also I probably need to get myself pscyched up to sell the 6D and gear including mobility van (I do have a car as well) and looking at 4/3 format. Thankyou for taking time to offer your advice. :)

scotttnz
3,872 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 24, 2018 18:42 as a reply to  @ kiwichris's post |  #8272

The EM1 mk2 is a great camera, and that stunning gallery really shows off what it is capable of. I went the Panasonic route because 6 years ago when I switched I liked the menu system more, and somehow they just felt more like the Canon I was coming from. The ergonomics of the lower end Olympus cameras also did not appeal to me (but the EM1 is excellent.) Ironically i’m now thinking about trading my G85 for a G9, so i’ll End up with a larger flagship camera anyway. (But I will keep the GX85 for when I want to minimise size)

I’m happy to meet up some time if you want to have a play with my Panasonic stuff etc.

Zooms: Panasonic 7-14 f4|12-35 f2.8|35-100 f2.8|100-300 II f4-5.6|14-140 f3.5-5.6

kiwichris
2,691 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 28, 2018 04:26 |  #8273

scotttnz wrote in post #18593276 (external link)
The EM1 mk2 is a great camera, and that stunning gallery really shows off what it is capable of. I went the Panasonic route because 6 years ago when I switched I liked the menu system more, and somehow they just felt more like the Canon I was coming from. The ergonomics of the lower end Olympus cameras also did not appeal to me (but the EM1 is excellent.) Ironically i’m now thinking about trading my G85 for a G9, so i’ll End up with a larger flagship camera anyway. (But I will keep the GX85 for when I want to minimise size)

I’m happy to meet up some time if you want to have a play with my Panasonic stuff etc.

I will take you up on that with much thanks, but presently I have one hearing aid under repair, and the other is working on being in the same position shortly. I am profoundly deaf. I will get back to you when my communication challenges are somewhat less, otherwise you would be needing a large pad and fast writing hand. Conversations where I can talk but not hear others talk back, never seem to go well. Currently researching and getting confused with the number of OM1 OM10 and G85 GX85 and now you throw in the G9 as well just I guess, to make sure I am not asleep! 'Cos, No I am not! :D

scotttnz
3,872 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 28, 2018 21:56 as a reply to  @ kiwichris's post |  #8274

No problem @kiwichris i’m Around for the next 2 weeks, then away for 3 weeks, normally available most evenings and weekends.

Panasonic are good at making cameras, but terrible at naming them in a consistent way. But in general GX series are range finder style, G are SLR style (generally larger, with better grip and central view finder) GH are hybrid video cameras. Less digits in the name means a higher level camera, so a G9 is a better camera than a G85 etc

I’m not as familiar with Olympus, but can tell you that the Pen series are smaller range finder style bodies, and OMD are more SLR style with the central viewfinder on top. OMD-EM10 is the smallest, OMD-EM5 is midrange in size and features, EM1 is the top of the range. And (unlike Panasonic) Oly indicates a new model by incrementing the mark. The current range topper is the OMD-EM1 mark 2 for example. Personally the EM1s are the only OMD I could stand from an ergonomics perspective, but your hands may disagree with mine.

weka2000
Is that a 300mm in your pocket?
20,723 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 28, 2018 23:54 |  #8275

Hope everyone has great easter up at 3am to head of to bay of islands photos tuesady

https://500px.com/tony​searle/galleries (external link)

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,162 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 29, 2018 01:59 |  #8276

Just got back from 4 days up there, a little bit of photography, a little fishing and a little off-roading. The washed out bridge was re-opened yesterday afternoon with a large convoy heading south. Probably those in low cars or rentals who didn't want to drive on 90 Mile Beach. It will take me half a day to get all of the sand out...... photos (If they are any good, to follow)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,832 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 29, 2018 02:14 |  #8277

I drive a Golf GTi, I would hate to use metal roads or a beach.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,162 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 29, 2018 02:46 |  #8278

That is what this is for

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,667 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 29, 2018 03:11 |  #8279

Once upon a time I remember spending an afternoon doing handbrake slides & donuts on 90 Mile beach in a 998cc Mini Clubman.
Lord knows what I would have done had I got it stuck....

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

kiwichris
2,691 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited 7 months ago by kiwichris.

Mar 29, 2018 03:26 |  #8280

joeseph wrote in post #18596180 (external link)
Once upon a time I remember spending an afternoon doing handbrake slides & donuts on 90 Mile beach in a 998cc Mini Clubman.
Lord knows what I would have done had I got it stuck....

Got out and picked it up and moved it over probably ;)

BTW I hope you got sum good pics that day!

sponsored links

867,019 views & 728 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.