Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 18, 2011 02:46 |  #961

If there are a lot of people you just need to find a place where you can see all faces.
Obviously depends on how many people there are in the group.
I have had to take group portraits of 80 people or more & it can be difficult to find a place where you can either get up high & look down on them, or can arrange several rows where each row is higher than the one in front.
Steps, hills or low walls can be useful. Just take the time to scout out a place early on.

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

sponsored links
momentz
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 18, 2011 04:11 |  #962

kaypony wrote in post #11865115 (external link)
Mild panic is setting in.... My camera gear has mostly been in my bag for the past few months. My mother kindly offered my photo-taking services to my step-grandmother for her 70th birthday tomorrow. Now my step-grandmother's son has decided against getting the pro they were having come, and putting me in his/her place! To make matters worse, they've decided they want photos taken at 12pm tomorrow. There will be approx 20 people, including large numbers of small children. I have a Canon 400D, two kit set lenses and 100mm Macro. Any suggestions?!?

Use the 100mm as much as possible. It will mean having to stand a fair distance back, but the sharpness and background separation will be worth the foot-zoom. Background blur/separation is what the guests with p+s will not be able to get.

Canon EOS
Eos is the Titanic goddess of the dawn, who rose from her home at the edge of Oceanus, the Ocean that surrounds the world, to herald her brother Helios, the sun.

Raizer
Goldmember
1,412 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 18, 2011 12:44 as a reply to  @ momentz's post |  #963

State "favorite things" insurance ftw! lol
Monday/Valentines day = take wife for walk on beach and take photos, fall off rocks and drown camera, ring State when we get home.
Tuesday = drop camera off to get a damage report done, tech is off work for the day.
Wednesday = pick camera/report up at 10 am, email copy to state, pick up new camera/lenses etc at lunch time!

flickr (external link)

dgcorner
Goldmember
4,722 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 18, 2011 17:21 |  #964

Sancho wrote in post #11859723 (external link)
Tonight's Moon...

Why is it when we take the moon's photos it seems like it is always gives us that face... I would have thought all the spinning would give us different facets...? Otherwise, nice!

tim wrote in post #11859767 (external link)
Nice. I could show you a moon photo, but I don't think anyone would like it much.

I don't think it would beat someone in the blue robe:lol:

kaypony wrote in post #11865115 (external link)
Mild panic is setting in.... My camera gear has mostly been in my bag for the past few months. . . Any suggestions?!?

All of the above suggestions. Do watch your aperture settings though... you wouldn't want the ones at the back to have some blurry faces. I remember reading somewhere... 1 - 2 deep - min. f5.6; 3 - 4 deep f8-f16... but also depending on your distance from subjects... Remember, when in doubt, chimp :p Also try to bring a stool or something to get the focal plane in line...

Remember that 12PM will cast some very strong shadows too... As Peter says, try to find a shaded spot if you can. Otherwise, fill-in flash will be good.

Also, remind everyone to either wipe the oil and sweat of their foreheads to minimise shine. the women are best to put on some face powder, again to minimise shine/blow-outs.

Lastly, remember that photography is like riding a bike - you never forget... you wobble for the first couple of seconds then you get into the hang of it pretty quickly. Enjoy!

Raizer wrote in post #11868211 (external link)
State "favorite things" insurance ftw! lol
Monday/Valentines day = take wife for walk on beach and take photos, fall off rocks and drown camera, ring State when we get home.
Tuesday = drop camera off to get a damage report done, tech is off work for the day.
Wednesday = pick camera/report up at 10 am, email copy to state, pick up new camera/lenses etc at lunch time!

Sweet!

John;)

Believe... Work hard... and it will happen!

My Gear

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 18, 2011 17:47 |  #965

dgcorner wrote in post #11869861 (external link)
Why is it when we take the moon's photos it seems like it is always gives us that face... I would have thought all the spinning would give us different facets...? Otherwise, nice!

Ask Pink Floyd...the moon has to have a dark side or the album wouldn't have made any sense!;)

(Of course it is spinning...at exactly the right speed to keep one side pointing at us. I always thought it was strange, too...but there you are...that's rotational physics for you!:confused:

Growing old disgracefully!

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 18, 2011 19:18 |  #966

I was just surprised I got anything decent first using the telescope and only had 10 mins while dinner was cooking :) First time using live view too which made it MUCH easier ...

Camera accessories? www.phototools.co.nz (external link) | Studio Lighting? www.studio-lighting.co.nz (external link)

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 18, 2011 20:22 |  #967

Sancho wrote in post #11870518 (external link)
I was just surprised I got anything decent first using the telescope and only had 10 mins while dinner was cooking :) First time using live view too which made it MUCH easier ...

I think it's very good...the definition of the craters on the right side is excellent.
What telescope, Mark?

Growing old disgracefully!

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 18, 2011 23:15 |  #968

Saxon 705az3 - Was a 1-day special :D Always wanted to play with one and the price was right :)

Camera accessories? www.phototools.co.nz (external link) | Studio Lighting? www.studio-lighting.co.nz (external link)

kaypony
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 19, 2011 14:58 |  #969

Thank you all for your comments- they were very helpful. A few of the first photos from yesterday.... Lots of faults but I'm hopeful my family will like them anyway.
I'm also now living in Auckland and would love to get out and about with my camera (or without it) a little more so if anyone is planning any outings, I would definitely be keen.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Potisdad
667 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 19, 2011 15:36 as a reply to  @ kaypony's post |  #970

Nice work kaypony, that second one really catches a moment and will be cherished.

Whereabouts in Auckland are you?

David

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 19, 2011 15:47 |  #971

Nice work, just a suggestion, try cropping the 2nd one in portrait and getting a much tighter crop, I think it may work well by getting in closer and being even more personal :)

Glad you faced the fear and did it anyway, it's what life is all about, pushing those comfort zones... good on you! And I bet you gained a whole experience point in your photography too! LOL

scotttnz
"tick, tick, tick, tick......"
3,925 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Feb 19, 2011 18:27 |  #972

<flameproof suit on>

So, I'm seriously considering selling all my camera gear getting myself a high end compact, and putting the rest of the moey into debt repayment.

In the last year I have taken less than 1500 photos, most of which could have used point and shoot for. That doesn't really justify the money I have tied up.

I've tried to revive my interest, but its not happening.

So if anybody wants any of the gear in my sig, please PM me. Otherwise I think it is going to go on trademe in the near future.

Any suggestions for a good compact would be appreciated too.

Ex CANON 5D owner - defected to m4/3
Bodies: Panasonic G9|GX85 DJI Mavic Pro
Zooms: Panasonic 7-14 f4|12-35 f2.8|35-100 f2.8|100-300 II f4-5.6|14-140 f3.5-5.6
Primes: Panasonic Leica 15 f1.7|25 f1.4|42.5 f1.2 Olympus 60 f2.8 Macro

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,979 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 19, 2011 18:59 |  #973

scotttnz wrote in post #11875367 (external link)
<flameproof suit on>

So, I'm seriously considering selling all my camera gear getting myself a high end compact, and putting the rest of the moey into debt repayment.

In the last year I have taken less than 1500 photos, most of which could have used point and shoot for. That doesn't really justify the money I have tied up.

So if anybody wants any of the gear in my sig, please PM me. Otherwise I think it is going to go on trademe in the near future.

Has the passion completely gone out of it, or are you just taking a long break?

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 19, 2011 20:18 |  #974

scotttnz wrote in post #11875367 (external link)
<flameproof suit on>

That sucks :( I have been there myself the last year. My gear does little more than take product shots for websites and tardme! Again a P&S could do that! I love the art still and the passion has never been far, its a time thing for me. I love getting creative and doing fashion type stuff but simply cannot justify the time it take in PP when I should be working. I have around 200 items sitting in boxes that are not listed, I have about 800 items to get on my website plus 3 other websites for different products altogether that haven't even been started yet! How can i justify spending a bunch of hours on a hobby when I have that in the inbox :| Plus I'd probably get around 15-20K for what I have. Not needing the money at this stage but I have had the thought certainly several time in the last year.

Am hopeing now that I am full time I'll start to catch up on the backlog but it's happening very slowly! Then again I have taken on a bit of a social life again, visiting old mates on a regular basis, got back into indoor cricket, taking a few walks etc instead of 100% living to work. LOL - ooops... dribbled on a tad there :)

scotttnz
"tick, tick, tick, tick......"
3,925 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 19, 2011 20:58 as a reply to  @ Sancho's post |  #975

Moppie wrote in post #11875491 (external link)
Has the passion completely gone out of it, or are you just taking a long break?

We are talking about a long term loss of passion for photography. Even when I have the time, I just can't be bothered. The last photos I took, that I liked enough to print were taken in July 2009! :( Everything since could have been done on a point and shoot.

I'm looking at replacing my gear with something smaller, lighter, cheaper and more modern. Still with some creative control (Manual and RAW capabilities.) Thinking of something along the lines of the Sony NEX range. Looked at the G11 and 12 too, but the controls felt very old fashioned. Or maybe a Powershot Sx210 pocketable type thing. Who knows, maybe some new gear will fire the interest again? :confused:

Ex CANON 5D owner - defected to m4/3
Bodies: Panasonic G9|GX85 DJI Mavic Pro
Zooms: Panasonic 7-14 f4|12-35 f2.8|35-100 f2.8|100-300 II f4-5.6|14-140 f3.5-5.6
Primes: Panasonic Leica 15 f1.7|25 f1.4|42.5 f1.2 Olympus 60 f2.8 Macro

sponsored links

2,541,383 views & 1,569 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.