Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

Paulos75
541 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 21, 2010 00:50 |  #121

Dave, my personal preference would be to see shortish sessions 2 to 3 hrs and pretty subject specific (if you're looking at a more advanced level), with a bit of a gap between sessions and, for want of a better word, homework that would be submitted at the next session (optional) and you could evaluate and give feedback - via e-mail or the following session. I'd say that week day evenings would be a better bet.

And now for some photos. These are my entries to the Canon EOS Photo 5 Competition. I do enjoy this compo, I reckon it's the shoot with a purpose thing.
Anybody else in here do any entries?

IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1156/5098937138_2290886142.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/11643909@N07/5​098937138/  (external link) Thumb Tack Forrest (external link) by Paulol75 (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/5098335415_6bc513988b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/11643909@N07/5​098335415/  (external link) Static Motion (external link) by Paulol75 (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1390/5098336413_0bd8e4a4a8.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/11643909@N07/5​098336413/  (external link) Whistle Bomb (external link) by Paulol75 (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1079/5098336853_09ff09e4cd.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/11643909@N07/5​098336853/  (external link) Centripetal (external link) by Paulol75 (external link), on Flickr"]
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
 (external link) Centripetal (external link) by Paulol75, on Flickr (external link)
IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1195/5098337219_8fe8072679.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/11643909@N07/5​098337219/  (external link) Bubblegum Madness (external link) by Paulol75 (external link), on Flickr

Cheers, Paul.
If it moves, shoot it. If it shoots back, get a bigger lens.
Gear: A slowly but surely growing list of mainly Canon bits and pieces.
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 21, 2010 00:59 |  #122

Guys, i'm redoing my entire lounge from bottom to top and could use some tips, mostly about the electornics. I'm going to buy myself a 50" TV this weekend, give or take 5". I also want a way to stream movies from my PC to the TV wirelessly (can't do wired), so a PS3, blu ray player, or a random device. Also a surround sound system, a nice wide low entertainment unit for it to sit on, coffee table, bookcase, and sofas. Suggestions would be appreciated, especially on the make/model of the TV and the best way to stream movies to it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Mevunky
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 21, 2010 01:47 |  #123

High end Panasonic Plasma for TV IMO over the all but most expensive LCD offerings which are far to expensive for what are still average blacks.

What format are the movies on the PC? h264 mkv container?

Sound is another kettle of fish, need to outline a budget or ill suggest you buy some Krell and be done with it ;)

flickr (external link) - So much gear, so little skill.

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 21, 2010 02:05 |  #124

Budget say $5K for TV, audio, and streaming media solution. Audio quality is my lowest priority, a user friendly way to stream things to the TV and navigate through a large media library is most important.

A few people have said Panasonic Plasma, i'll definitely take a close look at them. They have $2000 and $3000 full HD 50" models, I think just a step up in quality and features between them, quite reasonable really.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Mevunky
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 21, 2010 02:10 |  #125

tim wrote in post #11136740 (external link)
Budget say $5K for TV, audio, and streaming media solution. Audio quality is my lowest priority, a user friendly way to stream things to the TV and navigate through a large media library is most important.

A few people have said Panasonic Plasma, i'll definitely take a close look at them. They have $2000 and $3000 full HD 50" models, I think just a step up in quality and features between them, quite reasonable really.

They are by far currently the best bang for buck the 50 @ 3k model for sure.

Leaving you 2k, an integrated surround system possibly like the Logitech is only about 700-800 is best bang for buck or was (by from IT reseller cheaply), that leaves you enough for furniture and the device for streaming (check the Asus media streamer out its not half bad).

http://www.logitech.co​m …e-pc-speakers/devices/224 (external link)

Is a fantastic system for the price, extremely hard to beat...

flickr (external link) - So much gear, so little skill.

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,182 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 21, 2010 02:31 |  #126

Paulos75 wrote in post #11136486 (external link)
And now for some photos. These are my entries to the Canon EOS Photo 5 Competition. I do enjoy this compo, I reckon it's the shoot with a purpose thing.
Anybody else in here do any entries?

Those are really good Paul, I entered as well (was supposed to last year as well but it never happened :oops:)

I'm happy with mine except for the first, had lots of things planned but they all seem to have been done to death. Unfortunately, Mr Egg Head took a fall after my first test shot and all the Kings' men couldn't put him together again :rolleyes:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/mark_vuleta/image/129561122.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/mark_vuleta/image/129561123.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/mark_vuleta/image/129561124.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/mark_vuleta/image/129561126.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/mark_vuleta/image/129561127.jpg

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 21, 2010 02:47 |  #127

Mevunky wrote in post #11136753 (external link)
They are by far currently the best bang for buck the 50 @ 3k model for sure.

Leaving you 2k, an integrated surround system possibly like the Logitech is only about 700-800 is best bang for buck or was (by from IT reseller cheaply), that leaves you enough for furniture and the device for streaming (check the Asus media streamer out its not half bad).

http://www.logitech.co​m …e-pc-speakers/devices/224 (external link)

Is a fantastic system for the price, extremely hard to beat...

$5K is just for the electronics, not including furniture. I won't buy logitech for the lounge, i'll probably get a Sony/Panasonic/Samsung home entertainment system.

The trick will be finding a good media player system, and having a semi-integrated system so I don't have two DVD players and 5 remotes. I'll have to keep how connect everything together in mind when I choose stuff too.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,466 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 21, 2010 03:09 |  #128

tim wrote in post #11136514 (external link)
Guys, i'm redoing my entire lounge from bottom to top and could use some tips, mostly about the electornics. I'm going to buy myself a 50" TV this weekend, give or take 5". I also want a way to stream movies from my PC to the TV wirelessly (can't do wired), so a PS3, blu ray player, or a random device. Also a surround sound system, a nice wide low entertainment unit for it to sit on, coffee table, bookcase, and sofas. Suggestions would be appreciated, especially on the make/model of the TV and the best way to stream movies to it.

can't claim to be any sort of expert in the field but this is an area that I've dabbled recently. Be interested to hear of comments/suggestions about my set-up.

I found when I bought my Sony TV that it had an ethernet port - I hadn't thought about any sort of connectivity while picking a model, just compared pictures and bought a unit that looked better than similar ones from other manufacturers.

Then the kids wanted endless DVD's so I looked into ways to get them onto hard-drive, and save all the swapping discs in & out every 30 minutes. Found that the Sony supported DLNA (grabbing files from a file-sharing source basicly) via the ethernet.

Tried a number of free/cheap applications and file formats that failed to function (Sony's apparently support DLNA but are really fussy about the source, aledgedly the PSP is a preferred one for some unknown reason :rolleyes: ) before finding one that worked, and worked quite well.

you may like the name of it: Wild Media Server (external link) ;)

Anyways, I just rip the VOB file from whatever DVD and bung it onto a folder on the P.C. start the media server app and can "browse" and play the shares using the remote on the T.V.

Simple & effective. I haven't yet bought this software - have tested two versions and will likely buy it once the trial period runs out.

Then because our Hard-drive DVD recorder is packing up, I gets an idea that it might be possible to record some telly using a DVB-T card in the P.C. so I looks into what file format you get, and wether the Sony can play these files. Turns out most PC cards churn out .TS files that the Sony won't play - no real drama, Wild Media has a "transcode" function that converts file formats as it streams.

I'm now looking for a reasonably priced twin-tuner DVB-T PCI/PCIe card to do this - can't say it'll get used a lot as there's seldom anything worth recording, but at least I can then bin the DVD recorder & potentially play stuff in multiple places around the house if needed. The only other software I've managed to get working in a similar fashion is Nero Mediahome4 - but this won't transcode .TS files so is a non-starter.

In your situation it would be really easy to set up a couple of wireless units to communicate the network to get over the need for a cable, but don't see it as a problem, streaming doesn't use a huge bandwidth so unless your wireless coverage is cr@p due to living under a cell tower or similar then you'd be good to go.

keeping this discussion on a photo-related subject, from the TV you can also do a slideshow of your .jpg files on the server... :cool:

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and an M5, along with a M6 destined for 720nm
TF posting: here :-)

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,857 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 21, 2010 03:31 |  #129

We have a Samsung TV that also does DLNA, but comes with it's own server software, or can just use Windows Media Player or Media Center as the server.

It's not fussy about the file format either, so far it's played all of the movies and music I've feed it from the computer.
It streams full HD over the network, or off a USB connected flash drive or hard drive.

When we bought it I did quite a bit of research, and it seems that the Samsung and Sony's rank top for LCD image quality, while the Panasonic s and Samsung's rank top for Plasma's.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 21, 2010 03:42 |  #130

Thanks for the thoughts guys, it's all useful. The idea of buying a TV, sound system, and getting movies to it is becoming more complex than expected.

Panasonic Plasma is probably what i'll get. The main difference between the $2K and $3K models seems to be features like DLNA and wireless. Since i'll get a PS3 to drive it the cheaper one's probably fine. You can get a 50" Sony LCD for $2500 or a 55" Sony LCD for $2700, and if I buy a bunch of Sony stuff i'll get a bit of a deal too. It might integrate better too.

I've been told an Onkyo receiver and speakers (or package) might be a better idea than a standard Sony/Panasonic home theatre system too. Thing is you can get a package with receiver and speakers for $500, or you can get a receiver for $1500 and speakers for $2000. I'm wanting something around $1K for that, so i'll have to shop around.

This is taking more effort than i'd hoped.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,466 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 21, 2010 03:47 |  #131

Moppie wrote in post #11136936 (external link)
It's not fussy about the file format either, so far it's played all of the movies and music I've feed it from the computer.

would it cope with a .ts file natively? I can see a time when I'll need to ditch the horrible rear-projection TV in the lounge and get another flat-screen...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and an M5, along with a M6 destined for 720nm

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 21, 2010 03:55 |  #132

Why would you give it raw files from a DVD? Mp4 encode them into an mkv container and save a massive amount of space. Handbrake (free software) will do it for you.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,466 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 21, 2010 04:04 |  #133

tim wrote in post #11136971 (external link)
Why would you give it raw files from a DVD? Mp4 encode them into an mkv container and save a massive amount of space. Handbrake (free software) will do it for you.

laziness really - I tried a number of compressed file formats and found the Sony is really picky about what it plays from some sources so found easiest was not to bother fiddling - just rip & put on the server. Hard drive space is cheap enough & I can't really be bothered trying to find a file format that works anymore. There's only so many times you'll watch Bob the Builder or Thomas the Tank Engine before wanting to bin the lot... ;)

Paulos75
541 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 21, 2010 04:08 |  #134

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #11136805 (external link)
Those are really good Paul, I entered as well (was supposed to last year as well but it never happened :oops:)

I'm happy with mine except for the first, had lots of things planned but they all seem to have been done to death. Unfortunately, Mr Egg Head took a fall after my first test shot and all the Kings' men couldn't put him together again :rolleyes:

Nicely done Mark, especially like that confetti shot. Yea that's the problem with using breakables for props, accidents happen. Burned the front end of the car (not in flames) with the smoke shot when it slipped off the steel plate into an incense stick and kept on getting colour bleeds when I was constantly rearranging the close up one. The whole thing was thoroughly enjoyable though.

Anybody got suggestions for a good point and squirt, looking at doing a week long kayak tour round the Bay of Islands at the beginning of next year. Not fussed bout taking my 450D out on the water, not too far off upgrading anyway, just not over enthralled about exposing my lenses to that environment (I think we can all picture in our minds what could go wrong). Besides it's a bit on the big side. So looking for a P&S with good IQ (shoots in raw?), good range from reasonably wide to reasonably long (vague I know:D ) and just a good all-round unit.

No suggestions for a get together yet?

Cheers, Paul.
If it moves, shoot it. If it shoots back, get a bigger lens.
Gear: A slowly but surely growing list of mainly Canon bits and pieces.
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)Facebook (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 21, 2010 04:11 |  #135

Fair enough :)

sponsored links

2,075,287 views & 1,442 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.