Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Oct 2010 (Friday) 14:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

- Share your positive stories here -

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 08, 2010 14:02 |  #1

Hi everyone.

After much reading around this forum, I've found out that plenty of horror stories happened to lot of you. You than shared them here, warning us what not to do. That is really great, but usually those are negative stories with a bad ending. I want to create a thread where people share there positive stories. Whether you have been lucky, gifted or any great story with a happy ending. Hope you like my idea, I'll start with mine.

It happened about a month ago. I was going to sleep at my girlfriend's house. She lives in a calm city where there's almost never any action. She lives 1 minute of walk away to a police station. I always leave everything into my car, parked in front of her house. That day, I had all my camera gear + my iPad in my car, in a big sport bag, with my clothing. I usually have my clothes in her room but that day I had no more boxers. I went to my car and instead of searching in my bag for a pair of boxers, I simply took it inside. Didn't want to search outside, it was raining and dark. Her parent's weren't there, they were coming back from a trip to New York late this night. We went in bed and felled asleep. Suddenly, her father wakes me up in a hurry. ''David, David, David!!! Wake up, wake up!! We're just back from New York and when we parked, we notice someone was inside your car, like if he was looking for things to steal. I ran to your car and as soon as he saw me, he ran away.'' I than went outside, in my car to see if he stole me anything and found out, horrified, that my sport bag wasn't there anymore. All my camera gear + iPad I paid with hard earned money was gone. I am not insured for theft in car's policy as it was too high for me, poor student that I was. Neither any of my gear was insured. I had a panic moment before I remembered that I picked it up earlier because I was needing a pair of boxer. The guy stole nothing, there was nothing else to take.

I was very, very lucky that day.

So, let's here your great stories below, that was mine :)

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 10, 2010 00:40 |  #2

Heh! I have a less dramatic story. Three or so years ago I was in a nearby site that is quite a visiting place for tourists and especially photographer because it's quite, well, photogenic.

I was trekking aound with a tripod, my body, and a decent range of lenses when I ran into an older couple with a Canon DSLR. I struck up a friendly conversation with them and the wife mentioned that, much to their chagrin, they were stopped from out of state and left their motel room for the day with the camera but no wide angle lens! And this was a place where if you don't have something wide you are suffering!

Well, I offered to let them use the 16-35 lens I had on my 5DC and they gratefully accepted, a nice day was had by all, etc.

A year later, I was at the NAPP Worldwide Photo Walk in Portland, OR, with about 50 total strangers. I decided to take this on as a "walkabout" with just my 5D and the 24-105 lens, which was fine for all of what I wanted to shoot. Until...

I met up with a couple Canon shooters, a father and son, and we were shooting some architectural stuff. There was no way that the 24-105 would give me some of the shots I wanted, and just made an off-the-hand remark "dang! I left my 16-35 lens in my car!" and was prepared to just move on when the dad said "Hey! I've got one in my bag! Here, get your shots! And, the one of the results was what I consider a nice shot!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 10, 2010 17:02 |  #3

Well, that's what I called karma. You did a good action and it has been given back to you :)

Hi, I'm David.

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 10, 2010 18:04 |  #4

Several years ago my brother and I attended a weekend photography workshop in North Carolina. I wasn't used to shooting outdoors since most of my photography was taking snapshots of my children in the home so I never had to worry about keeping up with what little equipment I had. We were up early to shoot the sunrise and then moved on to another location where I realized I had left my camera bag with all my lenses at the overlook where we had been shooting. When we got back of course my bag was gone. We went to the lodge where the workshop was held but no camera equipment had been turned in. The next morning at our beginning session I checked again and there was all my camera equipment. I learned that one of the other photographers had seen the bag on the side of the road and returned it to the lodge but I was never able to find out who the other photographer was. There were a lot of tourists in the area that weekend but fortunately for me a photographer found my equipment. I learned a valuable lesson that day and now I always know where my camera bag is!

Joe
5DIII

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 11, 2010 20:37 |  #5

Wow, you really got lucky on that one. Here, people would have kept it. That's sad.

Hi, I'm David.

bheard1836
40 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 12, 2010 21:29 as a reply to  @ Rivest's post |  #6

A few months back I was in DC on business and brought my gear so that I could stay an extra day and shoot the mall. That night after my meetings and dinner I was doing a night shoot and was at the Vietnam Memorial. There was a lady and her two sons sitting with candles at the wall and as I passed by I heard one of the boys say "the batteries are dead" referring to the P&S they had. I approached and asked if I could take some shots for them and was able to get several keepers with their candle light only. I gave her my card and then sent her a gallery of the shots. She was most appreciative and it really felt good to be able to help a family that has paid such price for the freedom I enjoy each day.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 12, 2010 23:06 |  #7

bheard1836 wrote in post #11086034 (external link)
A few months back I was in DC on business and brought my gear so that I could stay an extra day and shoot the mall. That night after my meetings and dinner I was doing a night shoot and was at the Vietnam Memorial. There was a lady and her two sons sitting with candles at the wall and as I passed by I heard one of the boys say "the batteries are dead" referring to the P&S they had. I approached and asked if I could take some shots for them and was able to get several keepers with their candle light only. I gave her my card and then sent her a gallery of the shots. She was most appreciative and it really felt good to be able to help a family that has paid such price for the freedom I enjoy each day.

Thats a nice story..

I did something similar.. I was in a very remote area of northern Laos sitting in a small store in a small village having a cold drink.. This people mover bus turns up and a few people get off.. One couple (Kiwis) had the same problem with their 400D, flat battery.. I asked if I could help.. I took their CF card, flicked my 20D to jpeg then took a few shots of them and the surrounding scenery and handed their card back..

We exchanged emails for awhile and they loved the pics..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 12, 2010 23:54 |  #8

I think my favorite moments while out shooting is the shared sense of awe and the free exchange of information between photographers at National Parks here in America. Only once can I remember even the slightest amount of rudeness or the "these waves are mine, dude" type A-hole surfer mentality from another shooter at a national park viewpoint.
It is very common while shooting with a long lens for someone to walk up and ask "what do you see?" and I admit it gets a little annoying at times, but I always share info with other photographers and usually get the same in return.
There is just something about extreme natural beauty as is found at the grand tetons or in yellowstone or crater lake or especially on the rim of the grand canyon that just puts people in "be a decent human" mode, and it seems to have an even greater effect on photographers, totally non reliant on camera brand or lens quality or even P+S or DSLR.

Lets all hold hands and sing koom-baya, you go first.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 31, 2011 16:55 |  #9

Small bump, I'm sure lots of you got positive stories to share with us :D

Hi, I'm David.

Alex.K
Goldmember
1,570 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 31, 2011 18:01 as a reply to  @ Rivest's post |  #10

What a great thread!

This past summer I went to a Lansing Lugnuts game(Minor league baseball btw) to photograph the umpires - who are friends of mine. Well I'm standing the "press area" but there is a bar and stands right next to me. A guy, who was a little 'happy' told me, "I bet you can get better pictures than me!"(he just had a simple P&S) I said to him, "Probably, but if you take a photo of my screen you might get a "better" one! Since I didn't want him knowing I was photographing the umps, I just shot the pitcher(the whole wind up and everything.)
The guy was happy and I thought I'll just delete those shots when I get home.

WELL! My mom also came with me, and she started talking with one of the players parents. They were from out of town and seeing their son(a pitcher...like third string or whatever its called. he hardly ever pitches), but I told them(this is after the game) if I ever saw their son pitching I'd take some shots for them. We exchanged email addresses and went on our way.

The next day I downloaded the pictures and discovered the photos I took *for* the fan were of the lady's son! Not the best, but I kept all 9shots, fixed them up and emailed her my "website" link so she could see them and pick which ones she wanted me to send her. She LOVED them all and said they'd make a wonderful birthday gift to the son. So I sent them to her and well..she helped out a newbie photographer by sending me a check that I wasn't expecting.
(:
I love my job.
I've a got a lot more from the umpires I shoot - I'll share more later. (:

flickr (external link)
website (external link)
facebook (external link)
365/The Last Year project (external link)

CalPiker
397 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 31, 2011 23:00 |  #11

Here's one you don't hear much about. It's usually a story with the opposite result.

I was doing some night shooting out in Los Angeles and decided to stop in one of my favorite cities to do some light painting. It is a very industrial city, so it was dead that night. Just as I'm setting up my camera, I hear a car coming down the street. I look up and it is a blacked out Police Suburban. He was driving down the wrong side of the road, trying to hide behind a dumpster that was there, so I wouldn't see him.

I smiled, waved, and said hi. He kept it very friendly, but was throwing in some obvious "intelligence gathering" questions. Questions like, "Do you have a card?" (to ID me without asking for my ID) and "Are you out here all by yourself this late at night?" (in case I was with someone else that might have been burglarizing the building I was in front of). He asked quite a few other questions, but I don't remember most. He ran my plate and hinted to me that he did, because he said I was a long way from home. He also asked my name just to confirm it matched the registration.

I just told him I was doing some light painting, which I could see from the look on his face he didn't know what that was. He never even got out of the car until I offered to show him a couple of my very terrible shots from earlier that night. (Actually one of the shots I showed him was my first shot for my Project 52 this year. It is pretty bad, but I like it. lol). He told me to have a good night and drove off. Just as he turned the corner, another police car came along and stopped. I was laughing when he pulled up. This officer knew everything was cool, since he was monitoring what the other officer had done. He just wanted to see what I was doing. I explained light painting to him, which I think was more than he wanted to hear. He left after about 30 seconds. The first officer was there for a few minutes.

It's the first time that I have come in contact with law enforcement when out shooting (well, them contacting me and instead of me going to them). Not once did they hint at or tell me that I needed to leave. There's really nothing special about this, but since we usually only hear the bad side of these stories I thought I share my story of what should happen.

Gear List
Can I take your picture? "I'll swallow your soul!" Well, my camera will at least.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 31, 2011 23:57 |  #12

Haha, sorry man, but a non-negative story is NOT a positive one :)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 01, 2011 00:05 |  #13

My not necessarily positive, but funny none the less story...the ex and I were in Vancouver for the Olympics and we were just hanging out when a group of Asian girls came up to us and started motioning with their cameras...being from Victoria, I'm used to this, so I grabbed the camera to take a picture of them..."no no no" they said and took the camera back and all but one (the holding the camera) promptly posed with us for a picture...apparently they wanted a photo with a white couple...it was hilariously awesome!

Another photo related story: A guy about 100km away posted a Canon 2x Extender II for $100 on CL (he said he had a receipt for $212, from less than a year ago for it). Thinking this is a smashing deal, I emailed him, asked him if he'd hold it if I jumped in my car and drove up right away and he said yes. I get there and he looks annoyed...we started talking then he said he was mad at himself because he paid well over $500 for the extender and the $212 line on the receipt was for a big memory card he bought.

There was a tense moment in which neither of us knew what to say and he said had he known he would have listed for much more...if it had been in town I simply would have said "don't worry about it" and left, but, all in all it cost me nearly $20 in gas and 3 hours to pick it up, which I didn't want to be out for his mistake (though I didn't say this to him)...he simply shrugged (he lived in a very nice brand new house and drove a very nice brand new vehicle, so he certainly wasn't hurting for money) and said "well, my mistake" and gave it to me for the $100 we agreed on. We ended up talking after for nearly 2 hours. :)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links

2,075 views & 0 likes for this thread
- Share your positive stories here -
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.