Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your coolest accessory.

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 04, 2012 13:28 |  #541

@fotoworx; what do you do when you take the gear out of the dry cabinet & actually use it?
It's still going to be used in humid environments

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

sponsored links
Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 04, 2012 16:00 |  #542

Since they are in a dry cabinet, would it make more sense to remove the caps so that the equipment gets "Dried" out sorta speaking?

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

Malsam
382 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 05, 2012 00:18 |  #543

The dry cabi is useful for countries that are perpetually humid. It simply stop the fungus from growing if left in the open for a long period of time. Once u get them out to use, you will be moving around and less likely to leave it stationary for a long period of inactivity. If you stay in a country like mine and put all your stuffs outside for long period, either you are thinking of switching your system to Nikon or giving up photography for good.

Gear Stuffs

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 05, 2012 08:51 |  #544

I'm not sure Nikons would fair any better to humid induced fungus growth...

I jsut don't see the point, same with those silica-gel packets, once exposed to air, it's all moot.
Just because your moving around doesn't mean humidity won't affect it.

When you move around in a humid environment or you stand still, you're body still perspires so keeping your gear in a dry-cabinet then using outdoors won't make difference to the life of the gear.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

spb
583 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 05, 2012 09:27 |  #545

do not entirely agree.

i agree that just because you are moving around that does not protect you from the humidity. however. a dry cabinet, although will not completely eliminate the exposure to the humidity, will certainly reduce it.

60d | 50d | grip | 11-16 2.8 | 17-55 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 24-105 | 70-200 II | 60 macro | 580EXII x2
flickr (external link) | gear | feedback

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 05, 2012 12:00 |  #546

Sun light kills fungus, a dry cabinet will stop its growth during non-use.

A dry cabinet makes perfect sense in any humid climat, my question was whether it was more effective without the lenscap/bodycap/uvfilt​ers seals by allowing the lens to reach the dryer humidities faster.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 05, 2012 12:00 |  #547

The thought of storing gear in a wine or cigar type cabinet seems ridiculous, until you consider that fungus thrives on continued exposure to moisture and heat. If I had those thousands of dollars worth of equipment in that kind of environment, I'd absolutely want to have humidity and temperature controlled storage, even if I was using some of the equipment every day.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 05, 2012 13:56 |  #548

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #14021123 (external link)
what do you do when you take the gear out of the dry cabinet & actually use it?
It's still going to be used in humid environments

Nothing, you use it as normal then pop it back into the dry cabinet afterwards.

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #14026937 (external link)
I jsut don't see the point, same with those silica-gel packets, once exposed to air, it's all moot.
Just because your moving around doesn't mean humidity won't affect it.

When you move around in a humid environment or you stand still, you're body still perspires so keeping your gear in a dry-cabinet then using outdoors won't make difference to the life of the gear.

Fungus takes time to grow. Its not going to grow as soon as you take it out and it gets exposed to humidity. It will grow if the lens is exposed to the correct conditions (humidity, heat) for a period of time. Using a dry cabinet or silica gel packs means that after you finish using the equipment (which is a very short period of time, speaking relatively), you return the lens to an environment which is inhospitable to fungus, meaning it will not have a chance to grow at all whilst waiting for your next use (which may be a very long period of time).

Saying a dry cabinet or silica gel packs are useless or don't make sense just shows you don't live in a very hot/humid place and don't know what can happen to camera gear in those environments.

As regards the moving around etc... it does make a difference: fungus spores need time (yes, again its down to time) to grow. Using a lens means that you are constantly changing its internal volume (focus, zoom) which sucks/expels air and dust, and fungal spores. If the spores are being blown around, they are not going to grow. This is pretty well exemplified by the saying "a rolling stone gathers no moss" although moss and fungus aren't exactly identical, the idea is the same.

As for storing the lens with the caps off, I don't really see the point. The caps aren't airtight, so the dehumidifier will have no trouble extracting the moisture.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,696 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 05, 2012 16:21 |  #549

Dry cabinets in humid areas (and there are plenty of humid areas and fungus infected lenses in the U.S ) make perfect sense.

One of the first questions a buyer will usually ask of a seller selling a lens is "Any fungus in the lens" ?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 05, 2012 17:45 |  #550

Carbon Fiber Lens Hood

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7210/6957321397_53d57eb410_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mratedm3/695732​1397/  (external link)
Carbon Fetish (external link) by Chad Andreo Photography (external link), on Flickr

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 05, 2012 18:04 |  #551

ChadAndreo wrote in post #14030587 (external link)
Carbon Fiber Lens Hood

The smooth tracking and strength of a heavy metal hood with the lightweight high-performance responsiveness of a hood made from hummingbird wings.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 05, 2012 18:18 |  #552

carbon fiber hoods are sexy! :D

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK https://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 05, 2012 19:26 |  #553

tomcat7886 wrote in post #14030830 (external link)
carbon fiber hoods are sexy! :D

Real carbon fiber is sexy; vinyl wrap, not so much ;)

gordon
Gear and Feedback

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 05, 2012 19:27 |  #554

Haha...love the comments.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 05, 2012 19:42 |  #555

klr.b wrote in post #14031347 (external link)
Real carbon fiber is sexy; vinyl wrap, not so much ;)

LOL! :lol:

Bryan

My Gear List

sponsored links

664,249 views & 37 likes for this thread
Show us your coolest accessory.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.