Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 15:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I wait or buy now?

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 09, 2010 15:11 |  #1

I am in the market for a 300 or 400 2.8 prime L lens. I am leaning more towards the 300 2.8L because I can throw a TC on it for added reach yet still be able to remove it in case it is too much lens for what I am shooting.

With that said, should I wait to buy the 300 until the 300 v2 comes out? Do you think that the original will drop in price?

Also, has Canon stopped producing the 300 IS v1 altogether to make the v2?

Lastly, would you wait for the 300 v2 or just get the 300 v1? My budget is around 5,000 right now but I am not sure if it is smarter to wait for the v2 and spend much more on it or to just get the v1 and be happy.

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

sponsored links
kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 09, 2010 15:38 |  #2

i purchased the 70-200 Mk1 as i noticed that many of them were on sale when the Mk2 was out...

FF 6 months... i'm holding a Mk2 and am in the poor house again...

maybe wait till Mk2 hits the market and see how the 2nd hand market responds...

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 09, 2010 15:39 |  #3

Well I want to buy new, not used for something this pricey.

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 09, 2010 17:32 |  #4

ajaffe wrote in post #11064857 (external link)
Well I want to buy new, not used for something this pricey.

A wise decision.

David :)

David

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 09, 2010 17:35 |  #5

Thanks. I just need to figure out if it is wiser to get a hold of one now OR wait for the v2 to come around and hope that it drops the price of the v1 OR wait for a v2 and get that.

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 09, 2010 18:19 |  #6

ajaffe wrote in post #11065264 (external link)
Thanks. I just need to figure out if it is wiser to get a hold of one now OR wait for the v2 to come around and hope that it drops the price of the v1 OR wait for a v2 and get that.

I almost suggested that you await the arrival of the Mk11 and consider that. It won't be cheap but if you take care of it, it will hols it's value well, although I doubt whether you'll want to part with it in a hurry.

David :)

David

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 09, 2010 19:07 |  #7

ajaffe wrote in post #11064766 (external link)
I am in the market for a 300 or 400 2.8 prime L lens. I am leaning more towards the 300 2.8L because I can throw a TC on it for added reach yet still be able to remove it in case it is too much lens for what I am shooting.

With that said, should I wait to buy the 300 until the 300 v2 comes out? Do you think that the original will drop in price?

Also, has Canon stopped producing the 300 IS v1 altogether to make the v2?

Lastly, would you wait for the 300 v2 or just get the 300 v1? My budget is around 5,000 right now but I am not sure if it is smarter to wait for the v2 and spend much more on it or to just get the v1 and be happy.

From the looks of it you might have to save a bit more to get the new 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM. Hopefully street price will be a little less.

"The two new super-telephoto lenses should be available in December. The suggested retail price on the Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II is $7000. And the price for the Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II is – maybe you’d better have a seat – it’s $11,000. Yup – eleven grand – [Insert pricing wisecrack here]…"

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 09, 2010 19:26 |  #8

Yeah that is what worries me. Even with the typical MSRP discounts it will probably run at 6300ish which for that price I would just get the 400. So 300 v1 it is!

sponsored links

1,216 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I wait or buy now?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.