Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 10 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 08:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shot my 1st wedding........

Phil_0816
325 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 10, 2010 08:30 |  #1

on Friday night. Instead of posting the proverbial "HolySh!tI'mshootingmy 1stweddingpleasehelpme​rightnow" threads, I read some of the posts here from some of you folks that do this regularly along with a book or 2. The bride is a good friend and was very forewarned that I'm not a professional and haven't done this before. Still insisted on me shooting it. Although I'm fairly happy, there were some disappointments. Here is the list of equip I had: 7D, T1i, 17-55 f/2.8, 24-105 f/4, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 and a 580EX II flash.

Things I learned:
This church was very poorly lit. Tall stained glass windows floor to ceiling behind altar about a ft or so wide. Worked out okay for ceremony anyways other than the different colors of the glass. (Facing the west for a 6p ceremony)

The lens you plan on using for shooting the ceremony, carry 2 of them, if not 3. My beloved 17-55 f/2.8 IS was a PIA Fri night.

Use your tripod more than you have planned to use it. (The dark church required a slow shutter speed even shooting at 800-1600 ISO)

I wish I would've had a 30mm instead of my 50mm or 85mm for the ceremony.

There were various other things I learned but these were the main points.

The biggest thing I learned--You professional, do-it-every-weekend, wedding photographers earn every penny you charge!

Before anybody asks to see photos, it will be 2 weeks before the B&G are back and get them. They will get them 1st and before anybody else sees them. Maybe can post a few after that for C&C.

sponsored links
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 10, 2010 08:44 |  #2

Great gear to use for a first wedding! Indoor ceremony shots are my least favorite, you work with what you got! Congrats. Can't wait to see how you did. One down. :)

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

MomTo2
429 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 10, 2010 18:31 |  #3

I shot my first wedding this weekend too, and also for a friend. I too, warned my friend that I'm not a professional and haven't done this before, and had some dissapointments myself.
In poorly lit areas I had to bump up my ISO and now that I'm editing, I am wondering what do people do with super grainy high ISO pics? What kind of post processing can fix that? I have been using my blur tool, but there has to be other tricks for this? Are you coming across the same problem?

www.jillchildsphotogra​phy.com (external link)

wdwpsu
625 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 10, 2010 18:35 |  #4

MomTo2 wrote in post #11070575 (external link)
I shot my first wedding this weekend too, and also for a friend. I too, warned my friend that I'm not a professional and haven't done this before, and had some dissapointments myself.
In poorly lit areas I had to bump up my ISO and now that I'm editing, I am wondering what do people do with super grainy high ISO pics? What kind of post processing can fix that? I have been using my blur tool, but there has to be other tricks for this? Are you coming across the same problem?

Nik Dfine/Noise Ninja/LR 3/Photoshop CS5... All preferred over the <cringe> blur tool.

Wedding and Event Photography ∙ Orlando, Florida ∙ DSWfoto.com (external link)
Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)

Phil_0816
THREAD ­ STARTER
325 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 10, 2010 18:42 |  #5

Yes I have some grainy pics but thet are mostly from the dance floor at the reception. I have some blur issues from such slow shutter speeds to keep the pics from being to dark. The lowest ISO I shot all day was 800 except for a few outside pics. The 1600 ISO shots aren't bad (which is where I was for all the ceremony). The 3200 ISO from the reception were grainy a bit.

Phil_0816
THREAD ­ STARTER
325 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 10, 2010 18:43 |  #6

wdwpsu wrote in post #11070598 (external link)
Nik Dfine/Noise Ninja/LR 3/Photoshop CS5... All preferred over the <cringe> blur tool.

LR 2.7 as well?? Thats what I currently have, may have to download upgrades.

Project22a
453 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 10, 2010 18:46 |  #7

I'm a fan of Topaz Denoise as well.

B&W film shooter gone digital.

MomTo2
429 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 10, 2010 19:43 |  #8

wdwpsu wrote in post #11070598 (external link)

I'm working with elements 6.0... I know... but it's all I've got for now. :oops:
Never heard of Nik Dfine or Noise Ninja?

MomTo2
429 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 10, 2010 20:00 |  #9

Phil_0816 wrote in post #11070642 (external link)
The 1600 ISO shots aren't bad (which is where I was for all the ceremony).

What shutter speed/AV/Focal length were you using w/ 1600? Any time I use anything higher than ISO 800 I get noisy pics. I know there must be something that I just dont know yet (always learning).

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 10, 2010 20:29 |  #10

I was shooting ISO6400 for the ceremony yesterday... luckily my new cameras do better at 6400 than my old cameras did at 1600 :)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 11, 2010 09:26 |  #11

For any grainy photos that are beyond NR plugin, I would convert to B/W.

trickydan
177 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 12, 2010 00:27 |  #12

Phil_0816 wrote in post #11067988 (external link)
The biggest thing I learned--You professional, do-it-every-weekend, wedding photographers earn every penny you charge!

wholeheartedly agree! like a few others in this thread i shot my first wedding (as primary photog) a couple of weeks ago also for acquaintances - and i absolutely loved it! definitely more stressful than any other shoot ive done but i got the biggest buzz out of it! like the travel buzz people get? anyway i want to do more! :P

my brother was 2nd shooting and had his iso up too high a fair bit but this one was one of my favorites! i think i only used a minor amount of nr

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://i90.photobucket​.com …05DSC_1227copy2​better.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

trickydan's website! (external link)
gear

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,363 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 12, 2010 09:01 |  #13

MomTo2 wrote in post #11071131 (external link)
What shutter speed/AV/Focal length were you using w/ 1600? Any time I use anything higher than ISO 800 I get noisy pics. I know there must be something that I just dont know yet (always learning).

The secret to low-noise high-ISO shots is to expose to the right http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial​s/expose-right.shtml (external link). If you have the exposure settings you need/want for the shot (shutter speed, f-stop) but the shot will be too dark, raise the ISO https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=744235.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 12, 2010 09:38 |  #14

Phil_0816 wrote in post #11067988 (external link)
Use your tripod more than you have planned to use it. (The dark church required a slow shutter speed even shooting at 800-1600 ISO)

I quit using that blasted tripod... :) one less thing to carry around.

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebook (external link) | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographers (external link) - The seriously outdated website.

dche5390
714 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 12, 2010 18:43 |  #15

Congrats Phil. Now that your cherry has been popped ...

Its amazing how much I've learned and progressed since my first wedding a few months ago.

angusporter.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,672 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shot my 1st wedding........
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.