Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 16:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where to sell old camera gear? Film SLR

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 10, 2010 16:24 |  #1

After being a G series enthusiast since about 2002 now, and owning now my 3rd one, I have decided to get rid of my old film SLR gear.

Being that this is a Canon forum and the camera is a Minolta, I thought I'd best ask for ideas on this. I can list my broken G9 in the marketplace section here but hesitate to do the Minolta stuff.

There is a lot of it, the camera body, multiple lenses, motor drive, multiple flashes, filters and a bunch of other accessories too.

And then there is the hard part about trying to decide what the stuff is worth. Any ideas on that?

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 10, 2010 19:52 |  #2

What kind of gear do you have? I'm sure it'd be OK to post in the sale forum, but check with a mod to make sure.

You do realize that we have the very best films ever made now. Are you sure you don't want to go out a shoot a roll of Ektar or Fujicolor Pro 160S???

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 10, 2010 19:57 |  #3

Id keep it personally, But thats me. If your sure, ask a Mod and I'm sure it'll be ok to sell it here.

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

mpix345
Goldmember
2,842 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 10, 2010 21:32 as a reply to  @ Radders's post |  #4

Check out www.dyxum.com (external link) for Minolta users. There is a buy/sell section there, and some pretty helpful participants who I'm sure would help you figure out value.

afkenner
318 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 10, 2010 21:57 |  #5

I funded my first Canon DSLR by selling a mountain of used Olympus film gear (3 bodies, 6 lenses, flashes, cables, accessories & a dusty, old, overstuffed LowePro bag) to KEH photo (external link) in Georgia. I shipped it to them, they evaluated each piece and sent me a reasonable offer for the whole package, which I accepted rather than try to sell each piece separately on my own. Without even sending them anything, I could use their site as source for a preliminary idea of the resale value of my gear.

Note to Mods: I have no affiliation with this commercial operation, but I did have a positive and professional experience with my transaction so I hope it's okay to mention them here. If not, sorry and please remove my post.

Experimenting with: WP Photoblog (external link) | Zenphoto (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Canon 7D, Zooms, Primes, Macro, 580EXII, 430EX, G12, IXUS 75; Tamron 17-50; Sigma 30 f1.4 & EF 530 DG Super; eBay Triggers & DIY lighting paraphernalia.

Jakpro
320 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 10, 2010 23:38 as a reply to  @ afkenner's post |  #6

From the prices that I have seen, film cameras are not worth very much. In fact, you might consider donating it to a high school student if they are using film. Even then, most schools are using digital. I gave a bunch of Nikon film stuff to the daughter of a friend who need one for her class.

The lenses, however, could have some value. You can check Ebay to get an idea of the going prices by looking at closed auctions.

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 10, 2010 23:47 as a reply to  @ Jakpro's post |  #7

Well, I have kept it for 8 years after going digital and I have not used it once.

There is the temptation to go shoot a roll of Fuju 50 or Kodachrome 64 that I used to like a lot, but I doubt I will. Part of me really does want to keep it though.

And I seriously doubt I could get more than about 250 for the lot.

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 11, 2010 02:04 as a reply to  @ BobsYourUncle's post |  #8

Is it the same mount that Sony uses? If so, Sony has bodies for less than 300 dollars

http://dealnews.com …free-shipping/394881.html (external link)

I know this is counter to your question, just though I'd add it.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

jb1911
492 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 14, 2010 06:40 |  #9

ebay is the best place to sell anything.

7D/BG-E7 - 580EXII - EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - in a Domke F-2RW
http://www.banpuppymil​ls.com/ (external link)
I like to keep a bottle of liquor handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. ~ W C Fields ~

billythek
161 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 14, 2010 07:18 |  #10

I'd second the vote for ebay. Or try to write it off as a donation.

My wife's friend bought a group of about 8 film cameras with assorted lenses and filters for $125 at an auction at the local Goodwill. Included was a pretty nice looking Minolta. I thought she paid too much, but her plan was to try to sell it all on ebay. We'll see how that goes.

You can at least check on ebay to see what film cameras like yours are selling for.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,244 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 14, 2010 07:38 as a reply to  @ billythek's post |  #11

Consider selling to B&H, Adorama or KEH (http://www.keh.com/ (external link)) and as mentioned, ebay is a good place too since there's a huge audience.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 14, 2010 07:44 |  #12

I had the same issue as you.
Suggest you look at ebay to see what similar gear is bringing.
Some dealers will take it in to sell on ebay. Those dealers can check ebay to determine selling price of similar equipment sold recently.
Another thought--college photo schools may still have need for film equipment. Specially the simplest camera bodies.
I traded one camera body; saved the value of the body and tax on that. It wasn't much. Kept the better of the two.
Someone else asked==will your lenses work on new Sony bodies?

Dave

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 14, 2010 09:39 |  #13

2mnycars wrote in post #11094814 (external link)
Someone else asked==will your lenses work on new Sony bodies?

Lenses are Minolta bayonet mount. Don't know what the interchange options are for other makes.

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 14, 2010 15:01 |  #14

I have another make, and regret not looking at a Sony Alpha 700 when I purchased my first dslt. Reason? Many good Minolta primes that will work with that camera body. It has image stabil. in the camera body.
So I have no first-hand experience, but that's worth investigating I think if you want to sell Minolta stuff. Suspect that the glass has more value than the body and motor drive...but that's just my thought.

Dave

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 14, 2010 22:14 as a reply to  @ 2mnycars's post |  #15

Yeah, maybe I should get into the bag and catalog everything. Memory is fading a bit after 8 years of not using it.
Some of the glass I bought used, some new.

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

sponsored links

9,484 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where to sell old camera gear? Film SLR
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.