Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Oct 2010 (Monday) 08:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cybersync vs Radiopopper Jrx

tjames
261 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 11, 2010 08:45 |  #1

So I went to go buy new triggers today and found myself scratching my head on what to buy. I have been planning on buying the cybersync CSRB+ for a while now and was just waiting until I sold my motorcycle to pay for em. Then I was just looking at the radiopopper jrx studio system and think it would be great to be able to get some on camera power control from my strobes & speedlites. So now I'm stuck again.. the cyber commander is great for my AB's but there's many times where I'm just not needing my ab's and use speedlites on location instead. Is anyone using the jrx system? any thoughts? I've also contemplated adding the PX system at a later date just for ettl capability if I'm in a rush and don't have time to fiddle... thoughts?

Gear List: Kodak Funsaver MAX Cameras, Epson Scanner, MS Paint & some Crayons

sponsored links
ckalephoto
Goldmember
1,006 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 11, 2010 09:42 |  #2

If you have any plans to use ETTL in the future, go with the Radiopoppers or Pocket Wizzards. Both will work with your studio strobes and with the speedlights. The cybersync system works great with the Bee's and works great for the speedlights in manual. I like the price of the Cybercyncs myself.

Chris

Gear 2)1Ds mark ii/EOS 1V/ 50 1.4/135L 2.0/24-105L 4.0/

akphotography07
526 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 11, 2010 14:06 |  #3

I use Cybersync's and I think they are great I have never had a problem however I do wish I had poppers so I could use HSS (High Speed Sync) so I could get the exposures that I want but Cybersyncs will get the job done none the less.

5D l135L l 70-200L l 28 1.8 l 580exII l 430exII l CST l CSRB l Photoflex NXT Octodome
www.akportraitphoto.co​m (external link)
www.akseniors.net (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​akphotography07 (external link)
"I am a Mac" 15.4' Macbook Pro!

Conner999
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 11, 2010 14:31 |  #4

I use PWIIs but also RP Jrx Studios to trigger my Profoto gear and also some Nikon SB-80s (from my Canon body). The RP's work very well. Strong range, reliable and can remotely control the power of the speed lights from the hotshoe. Handy when using them up high or out way. All you need is a TTL-ready speed light. I use Nikon as they are cheap to get, powerful, have IR triggers, etc and Canon speedlights apparently are very sensitive to minute adjustments of the power dial vs Nikon which is more user-friendly and simpler) and I don't use E-TTL

Up to three groups of speed lights can be dialed up/down independently from full power step-less down to almost 'did it trigger?' nothing. Also allows you get get partial power between 1:1 and 1:2 which is nice.

There is also a free iPhone app from a 3rd party that acts as an electronic 'cheat sheet'. Set what settings you want on the app and it shows you how to set the dip switches on the Rx and/or Tx.

tjames
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 11, 2010 14:34 |  #5

Conner999 wrote in post #11076339 (external link)
I use PWIIs but also RP Jrx Studios to trigger my Profoto gear and also some Nikon SB-80s (from my Canon body). The RP's work very well. Strong range, reliable and can remotely control the power of the speed lights from the hotshoe. Handy when using them up high or out way.

Up to three groups of speed lights can be dialed up/down independently from full power step-less down to almost 'did it trigger?' nothing. Also allows you get get partial power between 1:1 and 1:2 which is nice.

There is also a free iPhone app from a 3rd party that acts as an electronic 'cheat sheet'. Set what settings you want on the app and it shows you how to set the dip switches on the Rx and/or Tx.

Thanks, after weighing my options I ordered the Jrx's with 3 extra receivers along with the cubes a little while ago.. for total control over my speedlites and AB's it's actually cheaper for the RP's over the cybersyncs and the cybercommander, and with the csrbs and CC I can't control power to the speedlites... kind of a no brainer IMO. plus when I get the PX system it's all interchangeable, bonus.

Gear List: Kodak Funsaver MAX Cameras, Epson Scanner, MS Paint & some Crayons

Conner999
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 11, 2010 15:13 |  #6

Having a trigger to remote control speed lights is nice as the buggers are usually tucked away in some manner where getting acces to the controls is a pita. The ability to do power in a step less mode is nice as well.

maxwell1295
789 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 11, 2010 17:01 |  #7

I love the Cybersyncs, but I'm switching over to the JrX + RPCube setup as soon as I get through the wedding season. I use Nkon TTL flashes off-camera, so I'll be able to control power levels on them on my ABs right from camera. I can't images it getting any better than that...

Canon EOS 1n|Canon 40mm Pancake|Canon 50mm/1.8

showtm490
951 posts
Gallery: 136 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 17, 2010 10:02 as a reply to  @ maxwell1295's post |  #8

I have the JrX Studio and PX system. I started with the PX since I use ettl on shoots that are on the move and its cut my shoot time down. Plus HSS is nice. I later bought the JrX for my studio lights and have been happy with them.

JohnBphotography.net (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Sony A7 III with Grip - Canon 5D3 with Grip - Canon 16-35 f4 IS - Tamron 28-75 f2.8 - Canon 50 f1.4 - Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II - Canon 430EX - Flashpoint XPLOR600 - AB 47' Octa

sponsored links

2,718 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cybersync vs Radiopopper Jrx
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.