Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Oct 2010 (Monday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First real attempt of my wife please C&C

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 11, 2010 16:59 |  #1

I tried for my first real setup, I followed a tutorial that suggested a feathered light from softbox and a gel flash.
I had to do a little adjustment in lightroom. I did meter them but they seemed a little over exposed.
f/6.3,ss 200, iso100

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 484264 does not exist. ]

I would like all help possible to show how beautiful my model is. :D

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |​

sponsored links
celina20
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 11, 2010 17:12 |  #2

Sorry..I am only an amateur. But..why don't you use "soft" light with this kind of face.Besides, coming from above the light shows too much the texture of the skin.
My 2 cent.
Luis

ed.
Goldmember
2,978 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 11, 2010 17:35 |  #3

I think as a portrait it's ok.
What size softbox are you using?

http://www.edwardhor.c​om (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/edwardhor/ (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/EdwardHor (external link)
http://www.twitter.com​/edwardhor (external link)
justAL: PIxel peeping is what separates the men from the boys!

Hoppy1
841 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 11, 2010 22:53 |  #4

Notice how the wrinkles on her left eye are much less obvious than on her right, because the angle of the light is picking them out.

Move the light further round towards the camera - not too much as you want to keep that directional modelling - and move it closer, to soften it further. Try both of those things and see if you like either/both better.

Also turn her a little more towards the camera, it will help smooth out her neck and she'll look a little less uncomfortable and the pose less contrived.

5D2, 17-40L, 50/1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L 4 IS, 580/270EX, Strato II/RF-602, Elinchroms

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 11, 2010 23:13 |  #5

Hoppy1 wrote in post #11079282 (external link)
Notice how the wrinkles on her left eye are much less obvious than on her right, because the angle of the light is picking them out.

Move the light further round towards the camera - not too much as you want to keep that directional modelling - and move it closer, to soften it further. Try both of those things and see if you like either/both better.

Also turn her a little more towards the camera, it will help smooth out her neck and she'll look a little less uncomfortable and the pose less contrived.

X2

Agree with trying closer soft box and more strait on. I would also play with the shoulder and head position in an effort to tighten up the skin that is too relaxed around the neck and jaw. All technical books aside I would just move it all over the place and see what happens and have fun with it you are doing great!

ukcyberboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 12, 2010 02:25 as a reply to  @ david lacey's post |  #6

Firstly thanks for taking the time to C&C.

celina20 wrote in post #11077285 (external link)
Sorry..I am only an amateur. But..why don't you use "soft" light with this kind of face.Besides, coming from above the light shows too much the texture of the skin.
My 2 cent.
Luis

Yup it doesn't look that bad on my screen it has suffered from compression.

I used a 24" square softbox, was also hoping people would say whether the exposure is OK.

Hoppy1, I agree I need to look at a few things with this one we shot loads, this was one I liked but I need to be more critical.

Thanks again

David I think I may shoot from a higher position or sit her on the floor.

I tried the straight on it seemed flat was trying for a little more drama.I am trying to get some pop too.

Body | Canon 6D |

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 12, 2010 05:56 |  #7

ukcyberboy wrote in post #11080404 (external link)
I used a 24" square softbox, was also hoping people would say whether the exposure is OK.

That is a TINY softbox to be using for a portrait if you want soft lighting. I usually start with my 30"x60" softbox as my main light for portrait work. Then I add other lights for fill, hair lighting, background lighting, etc.

The large softbox lets me emulate a large window if I care to. I might even put black tape across it's front surface so that the catchlights look like the muntins in a divided-light window.

The exposure looks about right. Are you using a flash meter to figure out your exposure or just a lot of experimenting?

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

ukcyberboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 12, 2010 08:20 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #8

Flash meter, I have a Kenko 1100, the one that was Minolta.
I am just looking into a newer set up going to sell the small box and Flash and go with a single strobe.
But thanks for comments and help.

Body | Canon 6D |

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 12, 2010 12:01 |  #9

SkipD wrote in post #11081067 (external link)
I might even put black tape across it's front surface so that the catchlights look like the muntins in a divided-light window.

Nice tip! thanks for sharing it.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 12, 2010 13:23 |  #10

I like the lighting and the detail you've captured and the color looks good. Softer would be better. And she does look a bit stretched in that pose. Shift her left shoulder a bit toward the camera?

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

sponsored links

1,683 views & 0 likes for this thread
First real attempt of my wife please C&C
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.