Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 12 Oct 2010 (Tuesday) 00:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NFL: Broncos at Ravens 10-10-10

northpointphoto
754 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 12, 2010 00:23 |  #1

Went back to M&T Bank Stadium to shoot the Ravens' second home game of the season against the Broncos. It was a pretty hyped up game because the Broncos' "#1 ranked pass offense" was going against the Ravens "#1 ranked pass defense." The Ravens pretty much shut down the Broncos for three quarters of football and ran the ball right down their throats the whole game.

Shot these with a D3 and 400f2.8 settings were around 1/2000, f5.6, ISO 200 or so for the game. Had to mess around a bunch in the second quarter because the sun was going in and out of the clouds. Let me know what you think.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4150/5070445535_5864fd28a0_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/5071050990_141489df59_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5070445161_fdf71e65d5_o.jpg

4 - Diving grab for a TD. Too bad I was on the wrong side.
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5070444963_b9568044f2_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/5071050572_18130f129f_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4107/5071050462_efc5b2d00d_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5070444531_a27e13e1dd_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/5070444313_79f6b39f8d_o.jpg

Russell
Russell Tracy Photography (external link) |LIGHTING SETUPS AND DIAGRAMS
Think Tank Photo Affiliate (external link) | Sports Shooter Profile (external link)

sponsored links
stax
731 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 12, 2010 00:32 |  #2

Apparently Kyle Orton missed the memo regarding Breast Cancer Awareness day.

Nice set.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/staxnet/ (external link)

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=865770

Cole_Schmitt
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 12, 2010 05:51 |  #3

How do you do it? I would kill for pictures like these.

Cole | flickr (external link)
XTi • 17-55 ƒ2.8

chuckie365
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 12, 2010 09:13 |  #4

Experience...as well as the 10K+ of equipment he's using to shoot the game :P...Nice shots BTW :D

Few Canons...few lenses...
Flickr (external link)

http://www.scapeshots.​com (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,678 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 12, 2010 09:31 |  #5

Very nice. You even managed to grab a shot of Denver's only highlight; very impressive.

Cole_Schmitt
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 12, 2010 14:29 |  #6

chuckie365 wrote in post #11081715 (external link)
Experience...as well as the 10K+ of equipment he's using to shoot the game :P...Nice shots BTW :D

Hahah, I'm talking about the exposure. It's spot on.

Cole | flickr (external link)
XTi • 17-55 ƒ2.8

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 12, 2010 14:50 |  #7

Great images of a really crappy game for Denver. I stopped watching somewhere in the third quarter.

The bokeh in #5 is really wierd and cool. did you mess with it or is that just the way it was?

#3 is really a killer shot! The exposure is so right on! Well done all the way around.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

BenJohnson
Goldmember
1,811 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 12, 2010 17:16 |  #8

Great shots. Excellent exposures. Maybe your post processing, but it seems like your body has greater dynamic range!

|Ben Johnson Photography (external link)|
|Gear List|

northpointphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
754 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 13, 2010 07:32 |  #9

Thanks for all the comments

stax wrote in post #11079873 (external link)
Apparently Kyle Orton missed the memo regarding Breast Cancer Awareness day.

Nice set.

Im not sure Ill have to check my other shots. He might have had pink shoes on.

Cole_Schmitt wrote in post #11081049 (external link)
How do you do it? I would kill for pictures like these.

I use shutter priority and aperture priority mode a lot when Im shooting stuff like this that have a wide dynamic of light (light to dark). For sports I prefer to use shutter priority so I know Im not going to be getting to be getting blurry images because the shutter dropped too low.

I started with a shutter speed of 1/2000 and ISO 200 because that is the baseline I try to get for sports. If its under exposed I will drop my shutter speed down but normally not lower than 1/1250. If its over exposed Ill increase the shutter speed. If I have to drop my shutter speed to 1/1250 and the photos are still underexposed Ill start increasing my ISO to keep my exposures right.

The other thing that I do is set the exposure compensation to -1/3 of a stop. I find doing this keeps the whites from blowing out most of the time.

moose10101 wrote in post #11081833 (external link)
Very nice. You even managed to grab a shot of Denver's only highlight; very impressive.

Thanks Tom Zbikowski stepped right in front of me or I would have had a perfect shot of him diving with the ball going into his hands. If you look on the right hand edge of the photo you can see a sliver of photographer. He was the only one in that corner at that time.

ChasWG wrote in post #11083804 (external link)
Great images of a really crappy game for Denver. I stopped watching somewhere in the third quarter.

The bokeh in #5 is really wierd and cool. did you mess with it or is that just the way it was?

#3 is really a killer shot! The exposure is so right on! Well done all the way around.

Thanks. The bokeh is straight out of camera on all of these.

Russell
Think Tank Photo Affiliate (external link) | Sports Shooter Profile (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,403 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 13, 2010 08:21 |  #10

Interesting, I always thought sports photographers pretty much shot manual wide open only. To see your nice images shot at f5.6 with great bokeh, using either Av or Tv, plus underexposing some (-1/3) has prompted me to experiment with those modes. I don't do NFL, just LL sports but I have only shot manual and wide open.

Also, when I'm at the Redskins game, I see, what I think are 500mm or 600mm lenses. Are there photographers out there with either of these lens? Have you ever shot with one of those lens? I will assume you shoot Jpeg, too. I have the 500 and was planning to experiment with it at this weekend LL football game and wanted to know of any limitations.

Great shots

[QUOTE=northpointphoto​;11079825]...Shot these with a D3 and 400f2.8 settings were around 1/2000, f5.6, ISO 200 or so for the game. Had to mess around a bunch in the second quarter because the sun was going in and out of the clouds. Let me know what you think.

[QUOTE]

northpointphoto wrote in post #11088073 (external link)
...I use shutter priority and aperture priority mode a lot when Im shooting stuff like this that have a wide dynamic of light (light to dark). For sports I prefer to use shutter priority so I know Im not going to be getting to be getting blurry images because the shutter dropped too low.

I started with a shutter speed of 1/2000 and ISO 200 because that is the baseline I try to get for sports. If its under exposed I will drop my shutter speed down but normally not lower than 1/1250. If its over exposed Ill increase the shutter speed. If I have to drop my shutter speed to 1/1250 and the photos are still underexposed Ill start increasing my ISO to keep my exposures right.

The other thing that I do is set the exposure compensation to -1/3 of a stop. I find doing this keeps the whites from blowing out most of the time...

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

deeh15
59 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 13, 2010 12:53 |  #11

Wow great set, obviously the pictures came out well.

northpointphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
754 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 14, 2010 11:47 |  #12

Methodical wrote in post #11088260 (external link)
Interesting, I always thought sports photographers pretty much shot manual wide open only. To see your nice images shot at f5.6 with great bokeh, using either Av or Tv, plus underexposing some (-1/3) has prompted me to experiment with those modes. I don't do NFL, just LL sports but I have only shot manual and wide open.

Also, when I'm at the Redskins game, I see, what I think are 500mm or 600mm lenses. Are there photographers out there with either of these lens? Have you ever shot with one of those lens? I will assume you shoot Jpeg, too. I have the 500 and was planning to experiment with it at this weekend LL football game and wanted to know of any limitations.

Great shots

I do shoot manual if the light is constant but if the light is changing a lot I will use shutter priority. As far as 500 and 600 mm lenses there are quite a few guys that use them. I would use one for football but I dont have access to one.

I've used a 600 once but it was just a few shots on another photographers camera at a track meet. Other than that I've never used one before.

Also, I do shoot all jpg when Im shooting sports.

Russell

CarterFan_8
39 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 14, 2010 14:18 |  #13

Great Photos!
Orton doesnt have pink on because he left his pink underwear in Chicago!:lol:

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,403 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 14, 2010 15:05 |  #14

Thanks North

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links

2,670 views & 0 likes for this thread
NFL: Broncos at Ravens 10-10-10
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.