Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Oct 2010 (Tuesday) 06:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How can I permenantly fix Raw changes

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 12, 2010 06:12 |  #1

How can I permenantly fix Raw changes, other than exporting to Jpeg.

Now, bear with me on this.

Initial starter thread was here:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=943648

So, I've gone through my 2000 wedding images, after removing duplicates and poor exposures I have some 900 images. I've gone through every one making the subtle changes to the exposure, fill light saturation etc to balance everything out.

Now, nearly every image has been treated differently, in Raw.

Next thing I want to do is to apply a preset to all these images but I'll find that the preset will change all of the initial settings.

So say if an image was originally over exposed the preset will over expose it even more. Whereas I initially reduced the exposure to bring it in line with the other correctly exposed images....of which come out fine after.

With Jpegs this doesn't happen because when exporting the settings are fixed. I'd like to do the same with Raw files in Lightroom and am hoping someone more experienced than me can say if there's a way or not.

Chris

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 12, 2010 06:59 |  #2

You've lost me...you want to apply a preset to an image but you don't want the image settings to change. Applying a preset will change the settings, that's the nature of the beast.
Once you have made the adjustments to an image it won't change, unless you make further adjustments.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 12, 2010 07:16 |  #3

In simpler terms.

You have two raw files in lightroom.
One is overexposed, one is correctly exposed.

You correct the exposure so both look the same. Then you apply a preset which makes a nice contrasty black and white. Unfortunately you are now left with one of the images being overexposed again.

The presets seem to apply a default change from zero. Which isn't any good if you've had to make an adjustment to certain files to bring them in line with the batch.

You apply the preset and all the files that were overexposed are now overexposed again.
It would be nice to think that if a preset bumps saturation or exposure by one stop either way you could apply that without it assuming you want to start from the beginning.

Otherwise you have a lot of images that are all over the place and inconsistent.

Chris Giles Photography

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 12, 2010 08:08 |  #4

No, strictly lightroom.

Open a Raw file in lightroom, balance it compared to other images and then applying a preset to the batch and getting a consistent result. At the moment if a file started out overexposed it would end up overexposed despite correcting it manuall before applying the preset.

I know you can decide which parts of a preset to 'apply to all' but it isn't the answer I'm looking for as each image may have a different adjustment before applying the preset.

Chris Giles Photography

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 12, 2010 08:31 |  #5

I'm not much of a preset user, but if you are using a preset you can "zero" or change adjustments that you don't want applied and then save it as a new preset. So, say, you have a preset that makes a change to Exposure or whatever, try turning that down or to whatever level will work better for all photos and save it and see if that's more to your liking.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 12, 2010 09:14 |  #6

I don't really use presets, but I think this will work.

After adjusting all your exposures (and anything else) in Lightroom, select just one file (in Develop mode) that didn't need any adjustment. Apply the preset to that file. Now select all files you want to modify, in addition to the one you just applied the preset to. Press the 'Sync' button at the bottom. In the dialog, press 'select all', then deselect anything you don't want to change (such as exposure) and press OK.

There are similar alternatives, but this should be the simplest. Of course if, say, the preset included an exposure adjustment then you won't get it applied to the other photos, but I don't see any way round that. In the future, I'd suggest you apply presets first, then make further adjustments as necessary. A bit late for this batch, though!

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 12, 2010 11:02 |  #7

Cool, thanks I'll give that a go :)

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links

921 views & 0 likes for this thread
How can I permenantly fix Raw changes
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.