Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Oct 2010 (Wednesday) 10:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Computers, Hooray! - I'm a Switcher

fensterbme
367 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 13, 2010 10:47 |  #1

Well I've been a Microsoft user for over 20 years, and have been into photography for about five years. My computers were getting woefully underpowered and out of storage so I knew I needed to upgrade my technology and also finally replace my decade old Sony 19" monitor and I also wanted to really simply what was an overly complex system for my home.

So I switched... Now I'm running Mac and am loving life. My computers are tons faster, I have lot more storage and I have an amazing computer monitor to replace the old and busted. Finally things are a lot simpler to manage so I can spend less time messing with computers and more time working on images, and responding to clients.

This has given me hours of extra free time each week as it takes a LOT less time to edit photos... the new monitor is now also giving me a much clearer picture of what my images actually look like.

The high level description of what I'm now running is:
- Hex Core 3.33Ghz. Mac Pro, 12GB of RAM, 2x 50GB OWC Solid State Drives, 4x2TB Western Digital Caviar Black, MaxPower 6G eSATA card, with a 30" NEC Monitor with SpectraView calibration hardware and software.

- 15" Core i5 2.4Ghz. MacBook Pro, High Res Display, 8GB of RAM, 500GB Segate MomentusXT Hard Drive (w/4GB SSD cache), G-Tech G-Drive Mini 500GB and 1TB OWC Mercury AL-Pro external hard drives.

- AMD Dual Core Athlon 64 Storage Server w 2.0Ghz. CPU, 2GB of RAM, 2x320GB Hitachi Deskstar, 2x500GB Hitachi Deskstar and 3x1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drives running FreeNAS

- Networking: Linksys WRT54GS running Tomato (functioning as a firewall and router only), an 8 Port HP ProCurve Gigabit Switch and an Airport Extreme for wireless access.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/5074895283_71a73d77e5.jpg

Click Here (external link) for a Larger Image and a More In-Depth Description on Flickr.

- AND -

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4133/5074208506_68ea50b752.jpg
Click Here (external link) for a Larger Image and a More In-Depth Description on Flickr.

My Gear: Doesn't Matter, but I have more than my fair share of it.
My Web Site:
http://www.fenstermach​er-photo.com/ (external link)
My flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fensterbme/ (external link)

sponsored links
superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 13, 2010 11:44 |  #2

I have the same store... now i NEVER buy anything "pc" based. Its Mac or I dont need it...

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 13, 2010 14:58 |  #3

Been there. Done that. Never looked back.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

Peano
Goldmember
1,778 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 13, 2010 16:25 |  #4

That orange desktop can mess up your color perception.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 13, 2010 16:33 |  #5

Cool that you got new computers, but I assure you any difference is due to age, not platform. As a Mac and PC user, they are similar given the same components.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,534 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2006

Oct 13, 2010 16:47 |  #6

themadman wrote in post #11090966 (external link)
Cool that you got new computers, but I assure you any difference is due to age, not platform. As a Mac and PC user, they are similar given the same components.

Lets not go into the OS side of things, whatever tool allows you to get the job done how you want it done is the best tool ;)

looks nice :)

just need a larger Wacom to compliment the resolution and screen size :)

whats your backup solution for that?

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
Gear | Gram (external link) | Ultimate Lens MA FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor C1 (external link)

fensterbme
THREAD ­ STARTER
367 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 13, 2010 19:13 |  #7

Peano wrote in post #11090932 (external link)

Umm... in theory sure. Have never had a client or a critique of my work indicating that my perception was off... non issue.

themadman wrote in post #11090966 (external link)

I didn't see where I equated the OS to the performance increase... But I don't much care, I'm so sick of Microsoft Windows that I don't want to touch it anymore than I have too... and this is coming from a guy who has paid his mortgage designing large server environments (mostly Windows based) for fifteen years, I'll only work on Windows if someone is throwing down a lot of dollars. That said the most pleasant end user Windows computing experience I've had is when I run Windows 7 Ultimate inside VMWare Fusion.

Bobster wrote in post #11091049 (external link)
Lets not go into the OS side of things, whatever tool allows you to get the job done how you want it done is the best tool ;)

Indeed, Indeed... I'm fed up with Windows but whatever someone else wants to use is fine by me, I could care less what other's compute on or what camera's/lenses they shoot. I think most folks who argue Nikon vs. Canon or Apple vs. Microsoft do so because they aren't confident in their own choices that they personally made... I have no expectation that I will have a notably higher image quality output with the new system, I could get the same quality with a Windows based system... IMO it would just be a much less enjoyable overall computing experience.

Bobster wrote in post #11091049 (external link)
just need a larger Wacom to compliment the resolution and screen size :)

whats your backup solution for that?

I'm fine with the little 4"x6" for what I do and I'm not sure I like the new Intuos4.

Backup Solution? I don't have one. ;)

My Web Site:
My flickr:

Peano
Goldmember
1,778 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 13, 2010 19:37 |  #8

Peano wrote:

fensterbme wrote in post #11091851 (external link)
Umm... in theory sure. Have never had a client or a critique of my work indicating that my perception was off... non issue.

Not just in theory. In fact. I peeped into your site (by the way, you should give visitors a way to turn off the "music") and instantly hit on this image that has the red channel blown all over the place:

IMAGE: http://radiantpics.com/clipped.jpg

That's not an opinion and still less a complaint. It's a measurable fact that the red channel is blown. But, hey, if you're happy and your clients are happy ... rock on! :D

---
Peano

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,534 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2006

Oct 13, 2010 19:45 |  #9

Peano wrote in post #11092015 (external link)
That's not an opinion and still less a complaint. It's a measurable fact that the red channel is blown. But, hey, if you're happy and your clients are happy ... rock on! :D

but could be down the the screen before the new one?

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
Gear | Gram (external link) | Ultimate Lens MA FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor C1 (external link)

Peano
Goldmember
1,778 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 13, 2010 19:58 |  #10

Bobster wrote in post #11092059 (external link)
but could be down the the screen before the new one?

Could be witches or voodoo for all I know. My point is that the absence of complaints is no proof that you're getting your colors right.

---
Peano

fensterbme
THREAD ­ STARTER
367 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 13, 2010 21:38 |  #11

Peano wrote in post #11092015 (external link)
Not just in theory. In fact. I peeped into your site (by the way, you should give visitors a way to turn off the "music") and instantly hit on this image that has the red channel blown all over the place:

That's not an opinion and still less a complaint. It's a measurable fact that the red channel is blown.

Me being dismissive of your comment must have really annoyed you.

Your completely right that the red channel is blown, that web site hasn't been updated in a few years (it's being totally ditched for a new site that is mid-flight right now) and the photo is quite old (the site itself bothers me way more than some blown red channel). If you want to nitpick my work feel my Flickr photostream is more current... although I will note that stealing images and posting to ImageShack would be a FAIL in the cool department (not to mention the legal dept.), regardless of the intent.

Regardless yeah the red channel is blown, however that has zero to do with the tone of my desk. While if I were editing that today I would definitely handle it differently, just because an image has a technical problem with it doesn't invalidate or lessen the photo. Lots of folks who frequent web boards, etc. on photography tend to sweat the pixel peeping aspects of things along with whatever camera gear is newest, but they don't tend to sweat making a compelling or visually interesting photograph. To me this means a ton more than a blown channel (not saying the image you used is a fantastic image it isn't far from it). The better I get, the less I sweat the technical details because they just don't matter nearly as much folks think they do... don't get me wrong my capture and editing is of much higher caliber than it used to be, but I realize it takes a back seat to the creative vision behind the image.

Peano wrote in post #11092137 (external link)
My point is that the absence of complaints is no proof that you're getting your colors right.

We could all poke sticks in each other's eye with a single image or two.. across the board I think I do a pretty damn good job when compared to the vast majority of folks.

Finally while I know there are tons of issues with my images (I'm harder on my own work than any critique I've ever been given by a client, creative director, professor or fellow photographer), I will gladly take my images lumps and all to anything and everything that would be on your site (external link).

My Web Site:
My flickr:

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 13, 2010 21:46 |  #12

Ikea desk?

I have the exact same setup and it's nowhere near that orange in real life. It's a very light oak. Well, mine is anyways.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Peano
Goldmember
1,778 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 13, 2010 21:50 |  #13

fensterbme wrote in post #11092729 (external link)
Me being dismissive of your comment must have really annoyed you.

Sounds like one of us was really annoyed. :oops: I didn't poke any sticks in your eye, nor did I comment on your general competence. I cited one image to illustrate that the absence of complaints is no guarantee that you haven't botched up colors. No need to get all rattled. Just learn and move on.

---
Peano

fensterbme
THREAD ­ STARTER
367 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 13, 2010 21:50 |  #14

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #11092765 (external link)
Ikea desk?

I have the exact same setup and it's nowhere near that orange in real life. It's a very light oak. Well, mine is anyways.

Yup the IKEA Galant... great desk, we own two up in our office. I love how it gives you just a ton of desk space. I plan on adding another 24" NEC monitor early next year and I'll have plenty of room still.

Mine isn't a light oak it's a bit darker but the color isn't nearly as orange as it looks in the photo. It was just a quick snap and save out... WB isn't on the money exactly.

... I'm sure I'm likely to get a vicious tongue lashing about the piss-poor quality of my color again, haha. I'm just a trainwreck I guess.

Peano wrote in post #11092781 (external link)
Sounds like one of us was really annoyed. :oops: I didn't poke any sticks in your eye, nor did I comment on your general competence. I cited one image to illustrate that the absence of complaints is no guarantee that you haven't botched up colors. No need to get all rattled. Just learn and move on.

Well you *did* show one image, and seemed to have indicate that I have some kind of systemic issues with my color quality. Which was annoying... not rattled at all.

Nothing learned (I read lots online, but only take that advice to heart of those's who's work I admire or respect)... but indeed, time to move on.

My Web Site:
My flickr:

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 13, 2010 21:54 |  #15

We have the 4' table connecting ours. It's huge!

Get the hanging computer shelf. It's awesome!

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

2,588 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Computers, Hooray! - I'm a Switcher
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.