Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Oct 2010 (Friday) 09:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographer/Photo technician job posting

redeveloped
70 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 15, 2010 09:27 |  #1

Is it just me or does the pay for this seem rather low at $8.50 an hour, considering they want someone proficient in the adobe creative suite.

http://knoxville.craig​slist.org/med/20072159​69.html (external link)

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 15, 2010 10:25 |  #2

It is low but if you want experience it is a place to start

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 15, 2010 10:28 |  #3

Agreed. Got benefits? Three + weeks vacation? Do you like saying "Do you want fries with that"? ;)
If you need a job, then take it. And immediately start looking for a better one.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 15, 2010 12:57 |  #4

Ha! "Weekends and holidays are just considered normal working hours for us here at Acme Photo. Must also be available on-call evenings."

On the other hand, up here in Wisconsin, Uline (huge packing supply cataglog) has still been promoting their search for a photographer. They're asking for lots of requirements though I'm afraid.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 17, 2010 09:59 |  #5

They're asking for lots of requirements though I'm afraid.

They always load up on requirements to give an excuse to not hire someone they don't want. "Up in Wisconsin" I imagine that they'll take whoever the market offers & feel lucky to get them?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

J ­ Michael
Goldmember
1,015 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 17, 2010 10:19 |  #6

The photographic industry attracts those willing to work for small change, so I'm sure they'll have no shortage of applicants.

xn2b8r
373 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 17, 2010 10:26 |  #7

Biffbradford wrote in post #11103075 (external link)
On the other hand, up here in Wisconsin, Uline (huge packing supply cataglog) has still been promoting their search for a photographer. They're asking for lots of requirements though I'm afraid.

I don't blame you for being afraid. Uline sends me its catalog. I feel sorry for the postal carrier who has to haul that gigantic beast of a book. I imagine their photographer(s) wear out cameras by the week.

1D Mark III :: 5D Classic w/BG-E4 :: EF 24-70 f/2.8L :: EF 135 f/2L :: EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS :: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II :: 580EX II (x4) :: ST-E2 :: Gitzo GT2330, GT1541T :: Markins M10 :: Feisol CF mono

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 17, 2010 10:34 |  #8

its a low paid and dead end "job"

Gearlist

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 17, 2010 11:56 as a reply to  @ kenwood33's post |  #9

No doubt that it is low paying but it does appear to be above the minimum salary level by 1.25 per hour. Is it a dead end job, I don't think so. Anyone that wants to work in this industry for others is going to have to get some experience. I can remember some of my first job hunting sprees after school and that infamous "must have previous experience" statement used to drive me crazy. Jobs like this, albeit undesirable to some, does provide people starting out to get some experience. Maybe they provide benefits that bring the per hour up to a more respectable level, something that we don't know. Having put my days of working for someone else behind me, looking at the salary only is a narrow view of things and there is certainly more that an employer can put on the table to help employees out, health care would be an example of such. I doubt that this is the kind of job that will hold people for a long time but it does provide experience in the industry.

When I was freelancing earlier in my life I took a part time job with an established studio. The pay was not all that great but what I took away from that taught me about the industry and running a business.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 17, 2010 14:49 as a reply to  @ ssim's post |  #10

Should be proficient in Photoshop, InDesign, LightRoom. Studio portfolio required...

Photoshop, InDesign, Lightroom and a studio portfolio? Do they have any idea of the learning curve on those programs, especially Photoshop and InDesign? :shock:

I could meet those requirements, but I wouldn't take the job for that wage...

John

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 17, 2010 16:32 |  #11

Much of this is taught in High Schools now. I know of many 16 years who are pretty darn good at it.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,253 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographer/Photo technician job posting
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.