Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 15:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Everything is new to me

Murray ­ Warner
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 16, 2010 15:10 |  #1

Hi
I live in Nova Scotia Canada but I am very much a beginner so I may be in the wrong forum. If I am then maybe someone could please suggest a beginner forum to me. I will put my story here anyway.
I bought a Fugi s1800 after having a small point and shoot for a couple of years. The 1800 allows me to do more settings manually which I am trying to learn. I was hoping by next year to upgrade to a dSLR. A friend of mine was telling me he knew someone selling a used Canon Rebel XS. When they came here with it the girl said the battery was very low and they lost the charger. When I tried it, the battery was dead so I told her to leave the camera here and I will try to find some help of the web. I found a site, Sterling Tek, and they have cheap prices. Has anyone bought from them before?
Should I have concerns about buying this camera before I get it up and running?
Would this camera be much of a difference in photo quality then the s1800? Well this is an opening start. Thanks anyone for reading and extra thanks to anyone who replies.
Murray

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,963 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 16, 2010 16:15 |  #2

Welcome to POTN, Murray!

The XS is a significant upgrade, well worth it if the price is OK. You can check the "sell" forum here to get an idea of used prices. What lens does it have?

Sterlingtek is a well-known company and many of us here on POTN have bought their batteries. I also bought one of their portable chargers. You won't go wrong buying from them.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 18, 2010 11:48 |  #3

The XS is a great starting camera (I had the XTi which came before it). With a little care and practise, it can produce results that will challenge a high end body (I used my XTi for almost everything - sports, airshows, portraits, landscapes etc).

Realise though that it might take a while to understand how to get the best out of it (you may see your pictures get worse before they get better if you get into using manual but when you get the hang of it the sky is the limit!)

As for Sterlingtek, they are a good reputable company as Number Six has said - I have bought about 5 batteries off them in the past and I would say they were as good if not better than Canons!

Edit : Oh and welcome to the forum. If you have any questions about anything photography related, you will find that here it either has been asked or you will get an answer fairly quickly on it!

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,767 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 18, 2010 11:52 |  #4

Murray Warner wrote in post #11108986 (external link)
When they came here with it the girl said the battery was very low and they lost the charger. When I tried it, the battery was dead so I told her to leave the camera here and I will try to find some help of the web....Should I have concerns about buying this camera before I get it up and running?

Have you even asked the questions, "Apart from the dead battery and the missing charger DO YOU KNOW of any issues with this camera?" And "How many shutter actuations does this have on it?" (a shutter has a lifetime of 100k, and you do not want to buy a camera that is close to needing major work). And "Are you the original owner?"

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,963 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 18, 2010 13:09 |  #5

Wilt wrote in post #11119399 (external link)
And "Are you the original owner?"

A camera with no charger may be a stolen camera, y'know...

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,165 views & 0 likes for this thread
Everything is new to me
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.