Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 06:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D IV fell and hit the track.....

dennykyser
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 17, 2010 06:36 |  #1

One of my 1D IV's came off the lens when I was taking the Rapid R strap off friday night. Lens stayed attached to the strap, body went bouncing off the track. I am guessing when I changed lens back to the 70-200 I did not lock it in. From what I can tell mirror mechanism messed up and nice crack down the case near the hot shoe.

Not sure if they can replace the housing or not?

Gear
Website (external link)
SportsShooters (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

sponsored links
Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 17, 2010 06:53 |  #2

OUCH!!

IMAGE: http://www.anderssonbros.com/smiley/cry.gif
Let us hope it's fixable ...
IMAGE: http://www.anderssonbros.com/smiley/bitenails.gif

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

dennykyser
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 17, 2010 07:30 |  #3

I will also find out how good my insurance is, I trust the agent hopefully he covered it like I requested.

Gear
Website (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

FourStrings
167 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 17, 2010 07:32 |  #4

Ouch, sorry to hear about that. Might cost a small fortune to fix/replace.

5D MKii | 7D | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200 IS IIL | 135L | 50 1.8 II
580 EXii | BG-E6 | BG-E7 | Gitzo 1541T | RRS BH-40 | RRS B2-40-LR | Canon Powershot G10

dennykyser
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 17, 2010 08:32 |  #5

FourStrings wrote in post #11112265 (external link)
Ouch, sorry to hear about that. Might cost a small fortune to fix/replace.

It better be covered with my insurance, that is why I carry it. If not will no longer use that agent I made it clear years ago that I wanted it covered regardless of damage/loss.

Gear
Website (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 18, 2010 10:06 |  #6

The housing parts are replaceable, the top one (Canon logo bump) is $100 I believe.

Alan ­ B
Goldmember
2,733 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 18, 2010 10:37 as a reply to  @ pcunite's post |  #7

:( Not good

I would feel sick in the stomach if that happend to me.

Hope you come out good in the end

WannaBe_80z
297 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 18, 2010 11:17 |  #8

Aren't the 1 series supposed to be able to take a little fall? How far and what type of ground did it hit?

Pics?

40D gripped - Tamron 17-50 f2.8 - Sigma 30 1.4 - Canon 430EX - AB800 - various other little things like shutter releases...

Destractions
391 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 18, 2010 11:28 |  #9

Ouch, sorry to hear it.

However, what does this say about our PolyCarbonate Vs. Magnesium debates as of late? All of the Pro magnesium touters have pretty much claimed that magnesium bodies are all but crack proof. To me this goes to show how irrelevant shell construction really is when it comes to dropping your camera, nothing aside from a thick rubber shell or maybe bubble wrap is going to help.

Good luck.

The unholy trinity:
EF 70-200mm F4 \ & Tamron-F 2X TC
EFS 17-55mm f/2.8
EFS 10-22mm

pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 18, 2010 11:32 |  #10

Destractions wrote in post #11119224 (external link)
However, what does this say about our PolyCarbonate Vs. Magnesium debates as of late? All of the Pro magnesium touters have pretty much claimed that magnesium bodies are all but crack proof. To me this goes to show how irrelevant shell construction really is when it comes to dropping your camera, nothing aside from a thick rubber shell or maybe bubble wrap is going to help.

I think the construction of the 1D series protects the insides... a new sensor replacement is $2k for example. We need clarification from the OP, but the part that cracked is the outside plastic that sites over the Magnesium. But yes, all rubber would be different...

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 18, 2010 12:04 |  #11

We need pictures!

A friend dropped his Mark III when he pulled the wrong strap and it also crushed the top part. CPS replaced it, it works now. Magnesium alloy is heavy and strong to a point but obviously only to a point. Would a plastic Rebel have bounced instead? Possibly.

There isn't plastic over the magnesium on the top, just black paint. There is only cladding where you hold onto it.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

SamuelYCWang
280 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 18, 2010 12:25 |  #12

Sorry to hear that. This is why I insure my camera and lenses. Thank goodness you are insure too.

Canon 5D MK III
EF 17-40 f/4L USM
ER 50 f/1.2L USM
EF 24-70 7/2.8L II USM
EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM

ocrane
38 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 18, 2010 12:41 |  #13

one of those things that gives me shivers... good luck with repair

5Dc, 30d, 24-70 f2.8 L 70-200 f2.8 L, 70-200 L f4, 50 mm 1.8,
OICphoto.com

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 18, 2010 12:49 |  #14

Honestly, my friend was using a fancy strap setup when he dropped his too, seems like a bad plan IMO. All I use are neck straps and I prefer not to swap lenses if I can help it, preferring to use multiple bodies instead, faster and safer. Straps on the lenses seems very dangerous, I trust straps on the body and think there should be nothing rapid about straps. Honestly I'm about ready to stop using my CPS strap since it has quick releases on it, should go back to the L6 wide.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,621 posts
Gallery: 1651 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 18, 2010 14:18 |  #15

OP, sorry to hear about the incidence. I'm sure it's just a case of bad luck. I'm sure most of us check, double-check, and often triple-check to make sure the lens locks in when we mount it but every once in awhile, our mind may wander and bad things happen.

I hope your insurance covers the camera and that all will be well.

As for the strapping it to the body, or strapping it to the lens, I don't think it matters either way. If the lens isn't locked into the mount, something is going to drop. And you typically would put the strap on the lens because the lens is bigger/heavier... which means the lens itself is likely a few thousand dollars anyway. So which would be better to drop/hit the floor? (Neither) Just bad luck.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links

4,187 views & 0 likes for this thread
1D IV fell and hit the track.....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.