Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 17 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 14:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200 2.8 MKII vs 70-200 f4 @ f4 for portraits?

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 17, 2010 14:01 |  #1

I got tired of handling my 70-200 2.8 IS when shooting portraits during rather long sessions or when I had a lot of people to photograph, it also was huge an overly obvious when out shooting in public, I now do those things on a MKIII with an 85L which although heavy, is short and balances with the camera quite beautifully.

But there are times I want to go longer and have been planning to get the 70-300 IS L that's just coming out, but I had thought it would be out by now and there doesn't seem to be any information coming from Canon. Where it would work if the image is good enough is that it's a constant f4 from 70mm through 134mm and much lighter than the bigger zoom, with new IS.

Then I got to wondering about giving in and getting the 70-200 2.8 IS MKII just because it appears that the image quality is so excellent and also has general build and stabilizer improvements, but then I'm adding the weight again.

So my third option and it's been around a while, is the little 70-200 IS f4 and I'm wondering how it compares image wise and bokeh wise to the 70-200 f2.8 MKII when shot at an f4? The area of the lens that I would be most interested in is 85mm through 135mm.

I'm not that concerned about sharpness, I know all three will be excellent and fit my needs, I'm more concerned about the "look" for portraiture, there is so much more to clarity and the way a lens handles skin than sharpness.

I would be totally thrilled if Canon made a portrait zoom that was 70mm to 135mm f2.8 IS with the new optics, made especially for portraits with the kind of rendition that you can get out of an 85L or 70-200 2.8 IS MKII.

Any input?

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

sponsored links
Dorman
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 18, 2010 16:52 |  #2

I previously owned the 2.8 MKI, and now own the F/4 IS. I rented the 2.8 MKII for a week (just returned today). Initial impressions are that the sharpness, color + contrast are much better on the MKII wide open than the MKI. Likewise I would say that if you are planning to use the lens @ F/4 than it will be a toss up between the F/4 IS and the F/2.8 MKII. Check out Bodank's thread on the subject for some photographic evidence. I think the true question will be if either lens at F/4 gives enough separation for your needs? If so the F/4 is less expensive, much smaller + lighter, and less conspicuous.

Here is the thread I mentioned, first he compares the MKII w/ the 135L, and then with the F/4 IS:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=945834

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 18, 2010 16:59 |  #3

I've enjoyed using my 70-200F4 IS for portraits. It doesnt give supershallow DOF like the 85L, but in its context it does a nice job. I dont have exif on this shot, but I think its near wide open.

IMAGE: http://kevin-jones.smugmug.com/Other/Jordan/Jordan0037A/855336395_9CyD7-M.jpg

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 18, 2010 18:31 |  #4

Shot wide open on the f/4IS from saturday's e-session. Bokeh quality still surprises me for a zoom @ f/4

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i578.photobucke​t.com …88384040_08347c​4fe9_b.jpg (external link)

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

trevert2
112 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 04, 2011 17:30 |  #5

shot at f4. Was just a quick snap but the lens is nice

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5260/5483741439_35368a6c19.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/trevorpowell/5​483741439/  (external link)
Gyongyi Hungary 2010 (external link) by Trevor Powell (external link), on Flickr

KKing
38 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 29, 2011 05:59 as a reply to  @ trevert2's post |  #6

I really love the 70-200f4 lens for portraits, but then budget meant that the f2.8 was never really an option. :(

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Karl
50D: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f4L

sponsored links

10,549 views & 0 likes for this thread
70-200 2.8 MKII vs 70-200 f4 @ f4 for portraits?
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.