Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2010 (Monday) 04:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

500D on a sunny day

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2010 09:16 |  #16

zerovision wrote in post #11118216 (external link)
did you check what the ISO setting was on?

Hi I had a look at a couple of the shots and they are 100 ISO with Aperture of F9 and shutter of 1/160.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2010 09:17 |  #17

SwiftFootTim wrote in post #11118266 (external link)
I always try to think of a P&S as a quick, get decent quality images that capture the moment. What I don't expect is shallow DOF conveying a sense of depth and focus in my images or the ability to focus in on the small nuances that can change the feeling of an image.

While I understand that the 500D has the modes such as 'creative' and 'portrait', I would encourage you to read the "Understanding Exposure" book and then practice so that you are comfortable in the M, Tv, and Ap modes where you, the photographer, have more control. Also, get acquainted with DPP from Canon or Lightroom from Adobe to really make those DSLR photos pop in post processing. Think of a DSLR not as a one stop solution for great photos, but as a tool in your toolbox for creating lasting memories.

Yeah I understand that shooting in RAW and doing the PP can greatly enhance images, but I dont want to have to do it in over 400 images from a day out.

Flickr (external link)

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 18, 2010 09:23 |  #18

neardark wrote in post #11118464 (external link)
Yeah I understand that shooting in RAW and doing the PP can greatly enhance images, but I dont want to have to do it in over 400 images from a day out.

It's kinda pointless to keep this topic going until you post examples from both cameras and what you find wrong about each.

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 18, 2010 09:26 |  #19

"....is there anyway in Creative Auto to set it to focus the whole image and not specific points"??

No. But its possible to select apertures that create a depth of field deep enough to cover the whole group.

Sounds to me as though you are just beginning an exciting voyage of discovery. Point and Shoots are all very well and good, but to take your photography to the next level you have a good camera. It takes a bit more thinking about is all, as the camera relies on the users ability more.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

SwiftFootTim
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 18, 2010 10:25 |  #20

neardark wrote in post #11118464 (external link)

You won't necessarily have to PP every photo from a day out in detail, but doing things such as clarity and vibrance adjustments can really help to make your photos "pop" and adding some contrast is always a good idea as well. These can be done in bulk in a program such as Lightroom and can greatly reduce processing time.

I'm not sure if DPP can do it as well as I don't use that for my post-processing work.

Canon 1D MkIII, 580 EX II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 300 f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2010 10:29 |  #21

Sdiver2489 wrote in post #11118513 (external link)
It's kinda pointless to keep this topic going until you post examples from both cameras and what you find wrong about each.

Below the point and shoot

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Point and Shoot (external link) by ScottishSinner (external link), on Flickr

Below the 500D

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

500D (external link) by ScottishSinner (external link), on Flickr

These were roughly taken at the same spot, as you can see it's quite a difference.

Another from the 500D

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_6116 (external link) by ScottishSinner (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link)

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 18, 2010 10:35 |  #22

neardark wrote in post #11118874 (external link)
Below the point and shoot
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Point and Shoot (external link) by ScottishSinner (external link), on Flickr

Below the 500D

IMAGE NOT FOUND

500D (external link) by ScottishSinner (external link), on Flickr

These were roughly taken at the same spot, as you can see it's quite a difference.

Go into the Menu and hit the option that restores everything to it's defaults. That looks over exposed, you might have bumped an exposure adjustment. I have over 2,000 photos from the XS, XSi, T1i, and T2i. None of them look like that.

www.mikemundt.com (external link)
EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

SwiftFootTim
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 18, 2010 10:35 |  #23

The DSLR appears to be quite overexposed in the photo. I'm not exactly sure what the camera would've been metering on in this picture as it all looks washed out on my screen, but it's not calibrated so don't take my word for it.

Canon 1D MkIII, 580 EX II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 300 f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2010 10:46 |  #24

realmike15 wrote in post #11118912 (external link)
Go into the Menu and hit the option that restores everything to it's defaults. That looks over exposed, you might have bumped an exposure adjustment. I have over 2,000 photos from the XS, XSi, T1i, and T2i. None of them look like that.

Yeah this has crossed my mind, I will, but first I will check the exposure settings.

Flickr (external link)

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2010 11:36 |  #25

SwiftFootTim wrote in post #11118913 (external link)
The DSLR appears to be quite overexposed in the photo. I'm not exactly sure what the camera would've been metering on in this picture as it all looks washed out on my screen, but it's not calibrated so don't take my word for it.

Yeah it is all washed out and it was like this on my tv, most of the images look like this.

Flickr (external link)

iancandler
44 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 18, 2010 11:47 |  #26

Its worth checking that you havent knocked something and set the exposure compensation to +1 stop, your shots look over exposed by between 2/3rds a stop and the PS shot looks under exposed by about 1/3 stop.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 18, 2010 11:50 as a reply to  @ iancandler's post |  #27

The camera obviously saw all the dark area by the trees and tried to expose it properly. This blew out the sky.

The P&S exposed the sky properly but the tree area is quite dark.

The camera's metering isn't very smart and can't differentiate between sky and trees, so it took its best guess. This is where YOU need to outsmart the camera and take control. Either avoid high contrast scenes, or recognize when you are in this situation and meter the part of the scene that is important to YOU.

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 18, 2010 11:52 |  #28

There is definitely overexposure going on here.

I'd second the exposure compensation - make sure that's not dialled in.

Edit:
Looking at the details here:
http://www.flickr.com …3378@N07/509378​5160/meta/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com …3378@N07/509378​7652/meta/ (external link)

It doesn't look as if there is a good reason for such overexposure... on that note though... the camera has possibly metered for the shadows.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 18, 2010 12:05 |  #29

DetlevCM wrote in post #11119396 (external link)
It doesn't look as if there is a good reason for such overexposure... on that note though... the camera has possibly metered for the shadows.

There is a good reason for such overexposure...The camera has metered for the shadows. This is pretty obvious...

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,907 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 18, 2010 12:08 as a reply to  @ neardark's post |  #30

The shot from the 500D is at least one stop overexposed. Going by the settings neardark posted, in full sun at ISO100, f9, I would expect a shutter speed closer to 1/320-1/400. Being in an auto mode, the camera probably "saw" the shaded trees and exposed for them, while the point and shoot "saw" more of the sky and exposed closer to that.

Pretty cut and dry. Easy to spot in the field if you check the histogram.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

sponsored links

9,044 views & 0 likes for this thread
500D on a sunny day
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.