Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 18 Oct 2010 (Monday) 23:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1st Try at "Painting with Light" Night Photography

sunnygirl
Goldmember
1,057 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 18, 2010 23:24 |  #1

First image was painted by a couple of larger torches combined with a long exposure.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/5039984723_19f0011ec3_b.jpg

This image was lit by multiple flashes from the 580EXII
IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4150/5040615896_85605877cd.jpg

This last image was lit by a combination of torchlight and 580EXII flash with a long exposure. However I feel I may have increased the exposure too much in PP. It was taken just before dusk. Any critique on either technique or PP is most welcome.
Thanks for looking.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/5040595606_0eb4838469_b.jpg

Susan
5D MKII - Accumulating way too much gear - bring on retirement so I have time to use it.......

sponsored links
gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 19, 2010 07:03 |  #2

I think you did very well. The last one looks perfectly exposed on my calibrated monitor. I'd print it and frame it.

I love the way you Aussies and Brits say "torchlight" instead of "flashlight". Every time I read about someone lighting a scene with a "torch", I get this mental picture of a villager standing next to you holding a burning log. :lol:

Anyway, nicely done.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

davie ­ rogue
39 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 19, 2010 10:34 |  #3

The second one looks fine exposure-wise, just punch some blacks back into it so they aren't grey and it'll fix that slightly off look

I love the shot

GaryS1964
457 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 19, 2010 18:01 |  #4

From a strictly novice perspective I think the first one would have benefited from a longer exposure and less direct and more focused lighting to bring out the stars in the night sky and less illumination of the foreground.

I really like the last picture.

Canon 5D Mk iii, Canon 7D, Tamron 70-300 Di VC, Tamron 150-600, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 24-105 F/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS ii, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS ii, Canon 430EX ii, YONGNUO RF-602 Wireless Remote Control

corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 19, 2010 20:16 |  #5

The problem with this technique is that distant objects never get enough illumination and will always look "false". However in the third the light is nice and balanced and could pass for natural light, so this gets my vote. Great work.

My Flickr (external link)

mltn
353 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 20, 2010 00:10 |  #6

Good stuff! I like the third one except for the starry lights, which might stick out in a large print. They would be easy to get rid of though. The clouds and the water look amazing.

The trees look cool in the first one, but everything else looks like it was hit with a giant on-camera flash.

Are you using any gels? They are really fun to play with for these night pictures.

And finally you might appreciate this photographer:

http://www.lostamerica​.com/index.html (external link)

His subject matter is different than yours, but you can learn a lot from his techniques.

sunnygirl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,057 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 20, 2010 00:53 |  #7

gibbit1 wrote in post #11124482 (external link)
I think you did very well. The last one looks perfectly exposed on my calibrated monitor. I'd print it and frame it.

I love the way you Aussies and Brits say "torchlight" instead of "flashlight". Every time I read about someone lighting a scene with a "torch", I get this mental picture of a villager standing next to you holding a burning log. :lol:

Anyway, nicely done.

Thanks! Had a chuckle with your comment too. :D

davie rogue wrote in post #11125448 (external link)
The second one looks fine exposure-wise, just punch some blacks back into it so they aren't grey and it'll fix that slightly off look

I love the shot

Thanks will try that.

GaryS1964 wrote in post #11127812 (external link)
From a strictly novice perspective I think the first one would have benefited from a longer exposure and less direct and more focused lighting to bring out the stars in the night sky and less illumination of the foreground.

I really like the last picture.

When I get home from work I will check the rest of the shoot photos as I know I have some with longer exposures but I think from memory the illumination was very patchy and did not improve the sky detail. Certainly will pay attention to that detail next time though, thanks.

corkneyfonz wrote in post #11128503 (external link)
The problem with this technique is that distant objects never get enough illumination and will always look "false". However in the third the light is nice and balanced and could pass for natural light, so this gets my vote. Great work.

Thanks!

mltn wrote in post #11129848 (external link)
Good stuff! I like the third one except for the starry lights, which might stick out in a large print. They would be easy to get rid of though. The clouds and the water look amazing.

The trees look cool in the first one, but everything else looks like it was hit with a giant on-camera flash.

Are you using any gels? They are really fun to play with for these night pictures.

And finally you might appreciate this photographer:

http://www.lostamerica​.com/index.html (external link)

His subject matter is different than yours, but you can learn a lot from his techniques.

Great advice and thanks for the link I do appreciate it - always looking to learn more!
Gels I have, but haven't really got around to experimenting with yet - hence my signature;)

Susan
5D MKII - Accumulating way too much gear - bring on retirement so I have time to use it.......

sponsored links

2,733 views & 0 likes for this thread
1st Try at "Painting with Light" Night Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.