Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 Oct 2010 (Tuesday) 18:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

On the subject of "being the other shooter"...

SilversurferC6
151 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 19, 2010 18:01 |  #1

I had recently met a publicist for a magazine while shooting a fitness show. He asked me to participate in an upcoming model shoot. "Wow!" I think to myself - a chance to broaden my portfolio. Fast forward a few weeks to today.

The prime shooter has a studio in his house and this is the hilarious part. He sends out an email describing his setup and how it is only designed for his gear and only one shooter can work at a time. Did I mention that he practically listed his entire inventory of strobes, etc.?

Am I the only one who still believes that "it's not the guitar - it's the player"? Don't get me wrong, this guy is probably a very good photographer but honestly it might be more ego talking here. I may not be as good a photographer and perhaps luck and karma has something to do with some "great" shots (with a little PP thrown in), but at the end of the day, it's your work that speaks for you - not you.

Sorry had to vent. Not sure if I will want to participate on that day.

Pierre (aka Sierra) Toronto, Canada
Current kit: Canon EOS 5D Mk III; Canon 50 F1.4; Canon L 16-35 F2.8;Canon L 24-105 F4; Canon L 100-400 F4.5-5.6; Metz Mecblitz 76 MZ5, and more stuff.
Mac Book Pro (I'm a Mac and you're a PC)
http://www.imaginefocu​s.com (external link)

sponsored links
spiralspirit
940 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 19, 2010 18:18 |  #2

sounds like he's worried that they're going to replace him. Why else would they invite a new photographer to someone else's shoot? To demo them and see if they can do better/cheaper/faster/​etc.

canon 1dmk2* Canon XSi * Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX * Canon 50mm f/1.8 *

Ook
648 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 19, 2010 19:25 |  #3

Playing devils advocate here - could it perhaps be something more along the lines of the prime shooter being (freudian analysis aside) concerned about the size of his studio? If he is going to lengths to list all of his stuff and seems egotistical maybe he feels his setup might not meet with your approval... I know if someone tried to bring another shooter to my place I would start feeling gear-inadequacy-syndrome kicking in. Particularly if they had a gear list like yours!  :p

Alternatively maybe he is a tool.

John-Allan
40D | 11-16mm f/2.8 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 430ex | A650IS

SilversurferC6
THREAD ­ STARTER
151 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 19, 2010 20:17 |  #4

Ook wrote in post #11128248 (external link)
Playing devils advocate here - could it perhaps be something more along the lines of the prime shooter being (freudian analysis aside) concerned about the size of his studio? If he is going to lengths to list all of his stuff and seems egotistical maybe he feels his setup might not meet with your approval... I know if someone tried to bring another shooter to my place I would start feeling gear-inadequacy-syndrome kicking in. Particularly if they had a gear list like yours!  :p

Alternatively maybe he is a tool.

I'm going with the "tool" theory. My gear is great and I am still learning to master it. I have learned a long time ago to put my ego aside especially if I can learn from someone. I think "he's just marking his territory" :)

Current kit: Canon EOS 5D Mk III; Canon 50 F1.4; Canon L 16-35 F2.8;Canon L 24-105 F4; Canon L 100-400 F4.5-5.6; Metz Mecblitz 76 MZ5, and more stuff.

Zansho
"I'd kill for a hot pink 40D"
2,546 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 19, 2010 20:33 |  #5

I think the guy is just being a little too egotistical. The gear doesn't make a photographer, it's the know how and skill that makes a photographer good (or bad).

Your gear list is certainly nice, and most people would sure like to be in your shoes, but nah, I don't think a real professional would be intimidated by your gear. He's probably just preening for his adoring public. :P

http://www.michaeljsam​aripa.com (external link) creating beautiful images for myself, my clients, and the world. Shooting with a mix of Canon, Fuji, and Sony.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 19, 2010 20:58 |  #6

While it does sound like there is some ego involved, studio strobes are generally triggered by a single radio remote which means it can only operate on one camera at a time.

The publicist's invitation might be genuine, but it doesnt show a solid understanding of how model shoots work. Clients often want model shoots to be fun partylike events with a big crowd, but that it clearly a distraction to getting the best picures on schedule. I would never permit a client to bring a second photographer unless their only duty was to assist.

First, delivering the best results means that someone has to be responsible for the final images and organize the whole shoot-usually the photographer. If you are not bringing a completely seperate studio light setup and have to switch with the primary photographer-you will certainly be a distraction to the primary goals. Plus, if you have little experience with studio strobes, its very unlikely that you will be able to contribute good final images by using unfamiliar equipment.

This may sound and even be an ego moment for the other photographer, but there are many good reasons not to have distractions at model shoots.

Good Luck-
Scott

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

SilversurferC6
THREAD ­ STARTER
151 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 19, 2010 21:45 |  #7

sspellman wrote in post #11128780 (external link)
While it does sound like there is some ego involved, studio strobes are generally triggered by a single radio remote which means it can only operate on one camera at a time.

The publicist's invitation might be genuine, but it doesnt show a solid understanding of how model shoots work. Clients often want model shoots to be fun partylike events with a big crowd, but that it clearly a distraction to getting the best picures on schedule. I would never permit a client to bring a second photographer unless their only duty was to assist.

First, delivering the best results means that someone has to be responsible for the final images and organize the whole shoot-usually the photographer. If you are not bringing a completely separate studio light setup and have to switch with the primary photographer-you will certainly be a distraction to the primary goals. Plus, if you have little experience with studio strobes, its very unlikely that you will be able to contribute good final images by using unfamiliar equipment.

This may sound and even be an ego moment for the other photographer, but there are many good reasons not to have distractions at model shoots.

Good Luck-
Scott

Scott you are a wise person. Then it must be the organizer's responsibility to provide the "adult supervision" to this project. As I said, the prime shooter is most likely quite good. His presentation lacked "panache" and the publicist is still indecisive about the venue. I'll see how this plays out and update the group. Thank you for your great insight. It was a perspective which I lacked.

SilversurferC6
THREAD ­ STARTER
151 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 20, 2010 08:27 |  #8

UPDATE:
Reasoning has prevailed via the publicist. The venue will not be the studio but outdoors. He also emphasized that he wanted a different perspective than just one. I certainly appreciated his (publicist) clarification on this. I am sure it will all work out quite nicely now.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 20, 2010 09:20 |  #9

sspellman wrote in post #11128780 (external link)

Unless you have multiple transmitters on multiple cameras. Obviously the transmitters need to be the same (and set to the same channel)

I have Cactus triggers and I have two transmitters that I can stick on both my bodies and they both will trip the lights fine.

sponsored links

1,079 views & 0 likes for this thread
On the subject of "being the other shooter"...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.