Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 22 Oct 2010 (Friday) 04:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Noise Ninja vs. DeNoise. Which to get?

slr_noob
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 22, 2010 04:21 |  #1

I recent got Photoshop CS5 (need to learn how to use it) and curious whether I should get Noise Ninja or DeNoise? They both do similar things at the end, but is there such thing as one is better than the other? Thanks

Canon 7D
-580EX II
-24-105 f/4L IS USM (Now fixed!)

sponsored links
neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Oct 22, 2010 04:40 |  #2

I used to use Noise Ninja which was fine, I now use Nik Software Define.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 22, 2010 04:47 |  #3

A faitr while ago a UK mag ran a series of tests using a variety of different software. They concluded that there was no overall winner.

Each had its own speciality, at which it excelled but was not as good elsewhere. So different images responded to different software. Sadly thats totally impractical, even if we could afford all the different products, it would be impossible to come up with a practical workflow.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,683 posts
Gallery: 150 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 22, 2010 06:39 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #4

I've never tried Noise Ninja, but am very satisfied with Denoise 5. Topaz labs has a very good rep....sorry, not the definitive response you were looking for! ;)

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, 1D-X II, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

Overread
Goldmember
2,218 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 22, 2010 06:48 |  #5

Lowner wrote in post #11143534 (external link)
A faitr while ago a UK mag ran a series of tests using a variety of different software. They concluded that there was no overall winner.

Each had its own speciality, at which it excelled but was not as good elsewhere. So different images responded to different software. Sadly thats totally impractical, even if we could afford all the different products, it would be impossible to come up with a practical workflow.

+1 the other side of the coin is that each of the different software options has different controls and menu options so its not just a case of affording, but also learning to use the varying tools to their best effect.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 22, 2010 06:54 |  #6

i have nn and i trialled denoise. they are both good in their class but neither really live up to their hype imo. they all soften the image to some extent. i am trying to learn to ignore noise, that seems to be a better solution.

DVW
197 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 22, 2010 06:54 as a reply to  @ Overread's post |  #7

I have not tried any 3rd party noise reduction but noise reduction has been improved in CS5. The first time I tried it in CS5 I actually said aloud "WOW".

Now that being said, the only other noise reduction I had tried was in PS Elements. So you might want to check it out in CS5 before buying any other program.

Canon 7D gripped, XSI gripped, Canon 70-200L IS f4 , Canon 24-105L, 100mm Macro 2.8L, nifty fifty, 18-55 3.5-5.6 IS, 75-300 4-5.6, 430EX II,
1.4 teleconverter

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 22, 2010 07:07 |  #8

"....they all soften the image to some extent...."

Of course. But thats where our post processing skills can shine. Its all a balancing act and often the main subject or part of it need different treatment to the rest of the image. I like noise free sky and am often able to live with it in livelier parts of the image.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 22, 2010 07:15 |  #9

I used Neat Image and Dfine. Since I got CS5, I haven't used any of those, once.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Acidomoduso
34 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 22, 2010 08:36 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #10

I use Noise Ninja and have pretty good results. Problem is, you'll have some people saying "Yeah, NN is great DN is rubbish" and yet others saying the opposite. Try 'em out and see which one you get on with. That's the best advice i can offer.

Canon 5D - Sigma 12-24 - Canon 24-70L - Canon 50mm f1.8 - Tamron 70-300 - Canon 580EXII - Elinchrom BX400's - Elinchrom BXRI500's.

Overread
Goldmember
2,218 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 22, 2010 08:39 |  #11

Acidomoduso wrote in post #11144142 (external link)
I use Noise Ninja and have pretty good results. Problem is, you'll have some people saying "Yeah, NN is great DN is rubbish" and yet others saying the opposite. Try 'em out and see which one you get on with. That's the best advice i can offer.

Generally speaking such viewpoints about other noise software being poor is because of the different menu interfaces they have - not everyone masters controlling them all to the same level of skill so it can seem that one is vastly superior over the other when infact its just the users lack of skill with one compared to the other

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

slr_noob
THREAD ­ STARTER
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 22, 2010 11:41 |  #12

The bigger question is: which has the lower learning curve?

Canon 7D
-580EX II
-24-105 f/4L IS USM (Now fixed!)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 23, 2010 00:07 |  #13

magwai wrote in post #11143802 (external link)
i have nn and i trialled denoise. they are both good in their class but neither really live up to their hype imo. they all soften the image to some extent. i am trying to learn to ignore noise, that seems to be a better solution.

I'm of pretty much the same mind. I have Noise Ninja, yet find I dislike the image softening so I use it less and less.

I have not tried any others.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 23, 2010 01:03 |  #14

I use Neat Image for Mac, along CS5. Very easy to use, and does a great job.

7D, 5DII

sponsored links

3,677 views & 0 likes for this thread
Noise Ninja vs. DeNoise. Which to get?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.