Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 06:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wife's portrait, C&C please lighting and colour

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 24, 2010 06:52 |  #1

I took a picture of my wife on a white background, single flash behind, a single flash in a reflector that is diffused.I want to know what people think.
Being that my meter seems to be out to my camera, ie they seem to give differing results .
I used a white balance card after metering then tried a little PP skin smoothing that was posted earlier. The pose is not the best, but just trying technique. I want to get that pop effect and a stronger image for when I try full body and other shots.

To be honest, losing confidence because what I meter and see are always different.:oops:

Thanks for looking. :D

1/200 ss, 100 iso, f/4, 50mm.

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 487262 does not exist. ]

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |​

sponsored links
Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 24, 2010 13:01 |  #2

The lighting looks good I might have thrown a white bounce card in on the right to soften the shadows a bit. What kind of skin processing did you do? The skin seems to have lost texture though that could be from the compression for web, also what reading did you get from your meter for this shot and what meter are you using?

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

ukcyberboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 24, 2010 13:40 as a reply to  @ Damian75's post |  #3

Hi, thanks for the feedback, loads of views and no C&C, I am a newbie like most of us and would like to contribute.

I saw that about a bounce but due to position and time I didn't place one.
I went here it was put up by some else
http://blog.epicedits.​com …chnique-digital-airbrush/ (external link)

Just might pull back on the numbers.
I was reading F/3.9 on my Kenko KFM1100(they are the Minolta IV). They always seem hot to me but that maybe down to taste.

It was bright when opened in photoshop and I used auto to see what it thought. and it darkened it, I shoot RAW and small JPEG, so post original jpg just to show.
Simon

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 487381 does not exist. ]

Body | Canon 6D |

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 24, 2010 13:50 |  #4

I prefer the original.

ukcyberboy wrote in post #11154331 (external link)
Being that my meter seems to be out to my camera, ie they seem to give differing results .

Your camera meter only meters ambient.
(Unless you are referring to ETTL, in which case the flash meter will be useless)

On the lighting: I'd have preferred lighting from right. Now the "broad side" is lit. Less flattering in general.

http://www.professiona​lphotography101.com …hting/lighting_​names.html (external link)
http://www.diyphotogra​phy.net …light-and-broad-light-are (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 24, 2010 14:04 |  #5

You could bring the light more towards the camera to minimize the shadows on the other side of her face. Also maybe bring the light up a little higher if possible. IMO the shadow on the left side of her nostril isn't very flattering so you if you bring the light towards the camera and up it will help move the shadow to under the nose.

ukcyberboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 24, 2010 14:04 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #6

Hi
Meter is here
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …1100_Auto_Digi_​Meter.html (external link)
I was mistaken I thought I had a short light, I have two flashes at the moment, just getting funds for a third, may just get the yn 460.
Thanks for the link. I was doing a bit of diy modifiers. it is a 11" bowl mounted on flash head and a diffuser screen with flash behind her head, can't remember settings.
If the original is better how can I avoid hotspots apart from feathering.

emitecaps, thanks that would be more like a butterfly look?

Thanks
Simon

Body | Canon 6D |

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 24, 2010 16:28 |  #7

I have to say I prefer the original but that is a bit to taste, if the original is what you got with the reading from the meter than I think the meter is ok, you don't seem to have blown out highlights and there is good detail in the shadows. If you haven't yet I would suggest calibrating your monitor. As for skin processing you might want to check out this http://abduzeedo.com/p​erfect-lie-photoshop-2 (external link) I am a big fan of using the curves method of dodge and burn, but this guys approach which is a better version of the highpass approach produces good results in less time while maintaining skin texture.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

ukcyberboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 25, 2010 02:26 as a reply to  @ Damian75's post |  #8

Thanks, I will abandon this method.
I thought it was me getting it to bright.

Simon

Body | Canon 6D |

sponsored links

1,257 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wife's portrait, C&C please lighting and colour
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.