Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 24 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 21:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My First Track Day Shoot.

agosling
455 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 28, 2012 20:20 |  #31

I always find it very hard to critique someones first attempt because bikes are very challenging to shoot, way more difficult to get right than cars.

I'm not going to cover the slower shutter speed, that is important but there are other points that could have made a bigger difference. When your shooting front on you can get away with 1000th of a second shutter speed and still produce great images.

The number one thing that strikes me about these images is the lighting and the position of the sun. Thinking about the lighting is absolutely critical, never just commit to shooting a corner, make sure the light is in the position that makes the bike look best. Remember that when it is leaned over the bike creates a big shadow.

Two other things to think about are angle and peak of the action. The other thing when you are shooting head on, you have to get your aperture opened up, you have to get some background blur and separation happening.

This is a very basic shot at a track that is a boring as the one you were shooting, but it covers the points of mentioned, the lighting is right, the angle gives it some impact and the background is blurred enough to separate the bike from it.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i164.photobucke​t.com …hoto/Chas_zps75​25fa3e.jpg (external link)

The main thing is to practice.

http://www.facebook.co​m/AndrewGosling.tbgspo​rt (external link)
1Dx, 1D Mark IV, 1DMarkIIn, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200L2.8 IS, 300L F2.8 II, 1.4xTC Mark III, 2x580EXII Speedlites, MacBook Air, and more assorted crap than I even begin to list...

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5,018 views & 0 likes for this thread
My First Track Day Shoot.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.