Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Oct 2010 (Monday) 04:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The OLDER Photographers' thread...

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,428 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Oct 25, 2010 04:57 |  #1

In response to the blatantly prejudiced thread "The young photographer's thread", Skygod took it upon himself to brandish his walking stick, clunk a few kids on the head, and start a thread for anyone OVER 35 years of age.

1: If you want to post pictures, that's fine.

2: If you want to comment on stuff that younger 'togs should know, that's good too...for example, the difference between "photographer's" and "photographers' "....
;)

3: Anything is OK, as long as you're OVER 35.
[Anyone UNDER 35 can wait until they grow a bit older....then they can join the thread!]

And to get the ball rolling (though, not too fast, as my hips are giving me jip today!), how about some comments on the reaction of people to us "older" photographers.

I've noticed that since I had more grey hairs on my noggin, and more wrinkles around my eyes, subjects react in a far more friendly way.

Any thoughts from the "OLDER" 'togs out there?

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

sponsored links
Grumps ­ Photo
Suffering Keyboard in Mouth desease
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 25, 2010 05:49 |  #2

I was wondering who would jump on this blatant display of ageism!

For a start, age has nothing to do with growing up. For example, I'm not sure I belong on this thread as I firmly believe that I'm 18 with 34 years experience:D That means I would feel free to post in that thread, but haven't even wandered into it.
I loved it when some one asked me, several years ago, what I wanted to be when I grew up. My answer was " Who wants to grow up?"
That is something people of all ages can learn, not just the youngun's.

Age does bring on wisdom, usually through learning from our mistakes.

• I'm still immortal, but I cannot fly: learned when a ladder kicked out from the safeties.
  • Fastest is not always bestest: Long slow exposures are much richer than snapshots.
  • Time spent doing it right is always less than the time it takes to redo it right: Just try rushing a drywall taping job, and you will learn.
  • Though this one is not from experience, I did learn it from others: Always be true to yourself, you are the one you will spend the long hours of the night with, so regrets are not good memories to have.
Above all, age is a number. The joy of life is just how mentally unbalanced you can stay:D

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Oct 25, 2010 06:02 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I'm exactly 35 (turned 35 this month), do I count?

What about all those between 25 (the upper age of the other thread) and 35 (the bottom end of this thread?

Perhaps on of those should start a "between" thread. :lol:

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Oct 25, 2010 06:05 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

On topic. Once I shot portraits with the 100 2.8L IS (good lens). One lady (an older lady with more wrinkles than her age should support) sent the photo back because "that's not what I look like".

I've got news for ya lady.... ;)

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 25, 2010 06:50 |  #5

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

Grumps ­ Photo
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 25, 2010 06:52 |  #6

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #11159836 (external link)
On topic. Once I shot portraits with the 100 2.8L IS (good lens). One lady (an older lady with more wrinkles than her age should support) sent the photo back because "that's not what I look like".

I've got news for ya lady.... ;)

One reason I've never had my stigmatism fixed: Soft focus is wonderful sometimes :lol:

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 25, 2010 06:58 |  #7

Joe Ravenstein wrote in post #11159963 (external link)
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

bw!

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

seaside
Slapped with a ridiculous title
5,472 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 25, 2010 07:04 as a reply to  @ neilwood32's post |  #8

^^^^ Neil, what are you doing here. I thought you were 18. ;)

Chris
Creative Tools / ZENFOLIO (external link)
Someone stole all of my photography equipment and replaced it with exact duplicates.

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,428 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 25, 2010 07:08 as a reply to  @ neilwood32's post |  #9

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In response to your grumpy complaining, all right....I'll alter the "growing up" bit, as I too feel less than my years (in my head) even though my right hip really is giving me a bit of jip today!!!!!!
:mad:

And as an aside, last week I went out paragliding, and one of a trio of old Japanese ladies watching asked me where I was from (answer = England) and which school I went to?
My reply was something along the lines of, "huh?"
She repeated the question...and asked, "Are you a student at the International University?"
I was sooooo pleased to be mistaken for being around 21~22...but then had to admit I'm actually a senior teacher, and am 41!
Best compliment I've had in years.
:D

6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

seaside
5,472 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 25, 2010 07:29 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #10

Three or four times now I've had a young photographer come up to me and ask, "How long have you been shooting"? Why was that their first question? :) Maybe it was a combination of looking like I knew what I was doing, the white lens with the red ring and my gray hair. It's not like me to say something inappropriate and mean spirited like, "before you were born" so I just smile and have a pleasant conversation ;)

Chris
Someone stole all of my photography equipment and replaced it with exact duplicates.

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,428 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 25, 2010 07:41 |  #11

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #11159833 (external link)
I'm exactly 35 (turned 35 this month), do I count?

Almost forgot you there, Adrian...must be my memory playing me up again...
OF COURSE you're "in" with us older photographers.
:-)

What about all those between 25 (the upper age of the other thread) and 35 (the bottom end of this thread? Perhaps on of those should start a "between" thread. :lol:

You mean the "lost years"?
Nah...they're too confused to belong anywhere...:lol:

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 25, 2010 07:48 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #12

seaside wrote in post #11160012 (external link)
^^^^ Neil, what are you doing here. I thought you were 18. ;)

Nah I just look young!:D

I wish-I have passed the second 18th anniversary :rolleyes: I knew I was getting old when I started to develop "go faster stripes" of grey in my hair at the sides!

I am a firm believer in the old adage "you are only as old as you feel".

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

Grumps ­ Photo
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 25, 2010 07:56 |  #13

skygod44 wrote in post #11160026 (external link)
In response to your grumpy complaining, all right....I'll alter the "growing up" bit, :D

Hey, I resemble that remark:mad:

I became a grandfather last month and I've been tagged with "Grumps"!

Speaking of age...............:rolleyes:

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
grumpsphoto.com

seaside
5,472 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 25, 2010 08:20 |  #14

neilwood32 wrote in post #11160177 (external link)
Nah I just look young!:D

I wish-I have passed the second 18th anniversary :rolleyes: I knew I was getting old when I started to develop "go faster stripes" of grey in my hair at the sides!

I am a firm believer in the old adage "you are only as old as you feel".

^^ LOL :) ^^^ I had to locate my calculator and did the math. You may not be 18 but your certainly not....well...old. ;)

Chris

mathogre
Goldmember
3,491 posts
Gallery: 101 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 25, 2010 09:14 as a reply to  @ seaside's post |  #15

Hey, you guys wanna type a little slower? I can't read as fast anymore.

Well, I'm well into that OLDER group. Just turned 53 last month. Married 26 years, one kid. First camera was a Kodak Instamatic with 126 cartridges and flash cubes. First serious camera was a Pentax K-1000. I've had my XSi for about a year and a half, and it's got 22,000 shots on it.

Got carded last week at the grocery store when trying to buy a bottle of wine. No joke. :D (I chopped the facial hair last month.)

Now onto how folks react to The Old Man...

I have had a few experiences with people reacting to me with a camera. Mostly the experiences have been positive, but I think it has less to do with being OLD and more with just being a decent person. If you look like a bum, you'll be treated as a bum. If you act as a lech, you'll be reviled accordingly.

Advice to the YOUNGSTERS? Learn how to communicate with people. Listen to others. Be interested in the stories of others. Listen. Ask questions and be genuinely interested in what they have to say. Say, "I'm sorry," and mean it, when you need to do it.

It's difficult you say? I'm a geek, a programmer, a mathemagician. I have zero natural social skills. I have far more affinity with silicon than I do with carbon. Regardless, I've taken the time to learn social skills. It's still not natural, but the desire to communicate is real.

Well, guess that's enough for now. Where's that prune juice?

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

sponsored links

687,289 views & 164 likes for this thread
The OLDER Photographers' thread...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.