Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Oct 2010 (Monday) 04:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The OLDER Photographers' thread...

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,083 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 01, 2012 20:00 |  #5191

You old people are so funny.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links
DeaconG
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 01, 2012 20:10 |  #5192

L.J.G. wrote in post #14001792 (external link)
Oh dear Simon, that is not good is it? When we were young we'd all come home drunk and kneel on the floor and hang on to the porcelain steering wheel and drive the porcelain bus for an hour or 2, now we just sit there and our legs go to sleep because we are on there so long :(

Ah yes, my younger hard drinking days, when I would worship on the porcelain throne while selling Fords, Buicks, Volvos and Saabs...:lol:

Gripped 5D Mark II & 50D|70-200 2.8 IS L|24-105 L|17-55|10-22|28 1.8|Σ 150-500|Σ 120-300 EX DG|Σ 50 1.4 EX|Σ APO 2X TC|580EXII|various other bits and pieces
"Reality holds surprises for everyone!" King Solovar, Crisis On Infinite Earths

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,083 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 01, 2012 20:11 |  #5193

DeaconG wrote in post #14001927 (external link)
Ah yes, my younger hard drinking days, when I would worship on the porcelain throne while selling Fords, Buicks, Volvos and Saabs...:lol:

Last year wasn't that long ago. :rolleyes:

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,886 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 01, 2012 20:31 |  #5194

skygod44 wrote in post #14001691 (external link)
That happens from time to time.....
It's while we're all recovering from, well, just "recovering".

Me?

I actually am recovering, as I managed to eat some oyster garnish on Sunday night at a big event I'd been invited to....and I'm dangerously allergic to oysters!

That night, well, the toilet became my best friend.....and let's leave it at that!

:o

Simon, glad to hear you're recovering.

wuzzittoya wrote in post #14001772 (external link)
Yikes. :(

Sorry about that. I don't like oysters... ew.

I love oysters. Good stuff!

L.J.G. wrote in post #14001792 (external link)
Oh dear Simon, that is not good is it? When we were young we'd all come home drunk and kneel on the floor and hang on to the porcelain steering wheel and drive the porcelain bus for an hour or 2, now we just sit there and our legs go to sleep because we are on there so long :(

I have no recollection of such events, your Honor! ;-)a

Tim

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 01, 2012 21:56 |  #5195

Timphoto wrote in post #14002023 (external link)
Simon, glad to hear you're recovering.

Me too Simon!

I love oysters. Good stuff!

I also had the oyster allergy, though it seems to be lessening. Maybe it will for you too when you grow up Simon....:D:D

I have no recollection of such events, your Honor! ;-)a

Was it so bad it destroyed your memory Tim?

Growing old disgracefully!

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,428 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Mar 01, 2012 22:05 as a reply to  @ Timphoto's post |  #5196

Thanks for the votes of sympathy chaps.....but I'm pretty-much OK now.

Scary stuff though, especially for Missus Skygod, who was shocked as I slumped down on the ground with a face as white as a ghost's.
And I hadn't been drinking that night!

And about the drinking memories, stories of hugging the toilet brought back some from me.....maybe we could add a few of those, to encourage the younger ones who peek in here, not to copy their elders' behaviour!!!

My first one was when I was a uni student, living with two other friends.
We decided to start brewing our own beer, and made every batch double/triple strength - because we were that broke, and that stupid!

On going out "for a walk" after a heavy session (can't recall why we wanted to go out, but there you go) we all managed to sustain bleeding injuries, were cautioned by the police twice, and were chased by a group of even more drunk locals, all within 1/2 mile of our front door......for which we'd all forgotten to take a key! So we had to break in to our own house.
The owner WAS NOT best pleased!!!!

"Interesting" memories..............​. :lol:

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 01, 2012 22:09 |  #5197

Skygod - totally off the drunken young adult rampages (and anyone else can chime in) - if your devoted spouse insisted you needed the IS macro, would you not encourage them to get you the cheaper one? I do have a lot of coordination issues (to which some wise people assure me that is what tripods are for) but I also love being able to get up close and personal and have the option to shoot hand-held in the right light. I just feel bad that I was shopping the $460-$560 range and he's at just under $1K. I could almost get another lens for the amount he is adding (though he offered to pay that part)...

Remember how I told you I am a bit spoiled? ;-)a

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,428 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 01, 2012 22:18 |  #5198

wuzzittoya wrote in post #14002735 (external link)
Skygod - totally off the drunken young adult rampages (and anyone else can chime in) - if your devoted spouse insisted you needed the IS macro, would you not encourage them to get you the cheaper one? I do have a lot of coordination issues (to which some wise people assure me that is what tripods are for) but I also love being able to get up close and personal and have the option to shoot hand-held in the right light. I just feel bad that I was shopping the $460-$560 range and he's at just under $1K. I could almost get another lens for the amount he is adding (though he offered to pay that part)...

Remember how I told you I am a bit spoiled? ;-)a

If money is no object, the IS-L is "marginally" better....but we're comparing a painfully-sharp macro, with another painfully sharp macro which costs more and has IS added.

If you want other gear, get the non-L, and get something else on top.
I love my non-L. It really is a quality piece of glass.

Gotta dash!

Simon :D

6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

hammer418
Goldmember
1,950 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 02, 2012 00:23 |  #5199

Oysters Rockefeller = nectar of the Gods ! <insert drooly face here>

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,886 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 02, 2012 00:31 |  #5200

Ricardo222 wrote in post #14002627 (external link)
Was it so bad it destroyed your memory Tim?

No, I just learned a long time ago never to admit to anything of that nature. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I can never stay awake long enough to get very intoxicated. I'm usually out cold by the 4th drink.

Tim

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 02, 2012 00:37 |  #5201

Simon, you say you are "dangerously allergic", so all I can say is you are lucky! I've known people who have been hospitalised, so if you got off with a bout over the toilet, well then!

I don't know of anything I'm allergic to...sauteed oysters and smoked oysters work for me, but raw oysters...ehhh!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,428 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 02, 2012 01:45 |  #5202

tonylong wrote in post #14004176 (external link)
Simon, you say you are "dangerously allergic", so all I can say is you are lucky! I've known people who have been hospitalised, so if you got off with a bout over the toilet, well then!

I don't know of anything I'm allergic to...sauteed oysters and smoked oysters work for me, but raw oysters...ehhh!

Hey Tony,
Yeah, I've ended up in hospital twice over this.
We're not sure yet what/where the oysters were, or in fact, if it was only oysters or a combination of shellfish, but I'll be popping in to the same venue over the weekend so plan on finding out!
Maybe it was "oyster extract"? Maybe scallops, which I've also had "issues" with......
Dunno yet.
:confused:

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 02, 2012 08:42 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #5203

Irony is an oyster fisherman with a shellfish allergy.

Keep that epinephrine close at all times.

Yno
861 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 02, 2012 09:13 as a reply to  @ 20droger's post |  #5204

I consider myself very lucky as I have no known allergies, and I love oysters in all ways, shapes, and forms. Just on the other side of San Francisco I can eat oysters from Tomales Bay that are so fresh they don't even realize they are out of the water yet. Yummy raw, and there are a lot of places that barbecue them up there. There have been times when my sweetie and I have made a whole meal of oysters, starting off with raw and moving on to different styles of baked. Heaven in a shell.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 02, 2012 09:14 |  #5205

I'm allergic to several medications, pollens, mold, dust, some pet dander (but have pets anyhow), etc. :-|

The only food-type reaction I've ever had was to Banana Bubblicious when I was a kid - swelled up and broke out in hives everywhere...

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

sponsored links

691,756 views & 164 likes for this thread
The OLDER Photographers' thread...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.