Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 28 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 21:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2010-2011 Gymnastics Thread

Blaze
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 25, 2011 21:26 as a reply to  @ post 11896025 |  #76

I'm disappointed at the lack of men's gymnastics represented here.

In between competing myself and video recording all my teammates' routines, I managed to get a few shots in.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image%2fjpeg'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I think I need to use faster shutter speeds, but I was already at f/2.8 and ISO 3200 in the abysmal lighting.

CC welcome, but go easy; it's my first ever attempt at shooting a gymnastics competition.

sponsored links
Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 01, 2011 14:08 as a reply to  @ Blaze's post |  #77

Was there a way you could have shot that last one from the end of the mat? Shot the vault straight on? If so then there may not have been any blur. Shooting straight on can be done at a lower shutting speed..some pretty good shots.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 01, 2011 14:10 as a reply to  @ post 11896025 |  #78

Would love to see a bunch of rhythmic gymnastics, a much undercovered sport.

russbecker
299 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 01, 2011 14:26 as a reply to  @ Blaze's post |  #79

Best VT shots occur from behind the VT table, about 25ft or so, and at a slight angle, usually the judges side. That way you can get a shot of them either about to block or blocking, and maybe their salto if they perform some kind of flipping VT.

7D2 | 80D | Fuji X-H1 | 100-400 f/4-5.6 IIL | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Sigma 30 f/1.4

Blaze
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 01, 2011 19:51 |  #80

Shooting wrote in post #11937054 (external link)
Was there a way you could have shot that last one from the end of the mat? Shot the vault straight on? If so then there may not have been any blur. Shooting straight on can be done at a lower shutting speed..some pretty good shots.

I tried one straight on a while back. I think this one was even longer exposure though at 1/125 sec, when I was a bit more shy of high ISO (taken at ISO 800 instead of 3200).
Kasamatsu Vault (external link)

For the previous vault shot, I was directly bedside the judge's table. Any further down and I would have been in the pit.

I sprained my knee tumbling a couple weeks ago, so I get to just watch/shoot our competition this weekend. Hopefully there will be plenty of non-flickering lights.

Blaze
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 10, 2011 06:02 as a reply to  @ Blaze's post |  #81

I shot my teammates at the Houston National Invitational last weekend. As usual the lighting was dungeon-like and flickery. :x
The gymnastics was awesome though. :)

I bumped the exposure up to around 1/400 sec this time, which meant ISO in the neighborhood of 4000.
A little less motion blur but a bit more noise... gotta take what you can get.

Same gymnast as before:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

P.S. The guy with the camera in the photo was one of the major sponsors of the meet. Michael Bleyzer, CEO of the private equity firm SigmaBleyzer and apparently a professional photographer too.

gymdad
225 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 10, 2011 09:10 as a reply to  @ Blaze's post |  #82

Shooting vault at this level of gymnastics is extremely difficult, and you've given it a good try. I've never had much success at anything less than 1/800 when shooting vaulters at this skill level.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/gymcritters/ (external link)
Canon gear

bwolford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 11, 2011 10:57 as a reply to  @ gymdad's post |  #83

I would think with a 7D you could push the ISO even further.

# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/400 second ===> 0.0025 second
# Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 28/10 ===> ƒ/2.8
# Exposure Program = shutter priority (4)
# ISO Speed Ratings = 5000

is your exif. It also looks like you were shooting at 21mm. I'd step back and crop to the shot. Looks like your focal point may have been the vault table and with that lens and F stop you were a little narrow on your DOF. Note the position of the pro! :)

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

Blaze
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 15, 2011 00:45 |  #84

bwolford wrote in post #12001445 (external link)
I would think with a 7D you could push the ISO even further.

# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/400 second ===> 0.0025 second
# Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 28/10 ===> ƒ/2.8
# Exposure Program = shutter priority (4)
# ISO Speed Ratings = 5000

is your exif. It also looks like you were shooting at 21mm. I'd step back and crop to the shot. Looks like your focal point may have been the vault table and with that lens and F stop you were a little narrow on your DOF. Note the position of the pro! :)

I could push the ISO up to 6400, I suppose, but it's already fairly noisy. Because of the noise, I try to fill as much of the sensor as possible instead of cropping since the resolution is effectively reduced considerably (I tried backing up and cropping on some of the other events, but was not pleased with the results). In good light where the detail is captured accurately to the pixel level, cropping an 18MP image works quite nicely. At high ISO though, the effective resolution is closer to 1/4 of that, so it's like cropping a 5MP image.

I could step back and use a longer focal length instead, but (please correct me if I'm wrong) wouldn't that give a slightly smaller DOF for an equivalent composition?

renrut
38 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 17, 2011 11:17 as a reply to  @ post 11720294 |  #85

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5171/5535115030_1e28b95719.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …r_photography/5​535115030/  (external link)
IMG_3637 (external link) by K Turner Photography (external link), on Flickr
This is my daughter at her last meet.

shah
37 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 22, 2011 10:29 |  #86

IMAGE: http://moscow-photos.net/Exhibitions/Photoforum-2008/Photoforum-2008-1-2/1224888586_grAqo-M.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://moscow-photos.net …dW#1224888586_g​rAqo-X3-LB  (external link)

Moscow-Photos.net (external link) | Panoramio (external link)

Blaze
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 03, 2011 18:24 as a reply to  @ shah's post |  #87

I got an opportunity to shoot in much better light this weekend. I was able to bump up the shutter speed to 1/1000 sec. using ISO 3200 (and f/2.8).

Same gymnast as before doing the same vault.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Again, the focus is slightly behind the gymnast (on the vault instead), but it's not too far off. If I ever get decent light again, I may try a slightly smaller aperture.

sponsored links

29,228 views & 0 likes for this thread
2010-2011 Gymnastics Thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.