Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 21:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lighten me up on HSS

Shamir
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 28, 2010 21:44 |  #1

Hi there POTN!!!!!!!!

I want to buy the PW mini system for using with my 2 Canons 430EXiis.

The only reason I'd like to do this is the HSS but im a bit confused..

Lets say i'm shooting at

F/9 ISO 100 1/160th in daylight and my Canon 430EXii is in an umbrella at 1/2 power..

If I open up my aperture to f/2.8 iso100 and 1/800 or 1/1000, Do I lower my flash power to 1/8th?! or 1/16th and still get the same flash -subject exposure!?

sorry, i'm just a bit confused as I've seen in many workshops talking about shutter speed controls ambient and aperture controls flash exposure.

Any hint, tip or anything :p?!

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,260 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 28, 2010 21:55 |  #2

If you have a 430EXII under ETTL control of the body, you do nothing to alter power on the flash, the camera does all the work of issuing a command for how much light it wants. You use FEC to tell the camera to tell the flash to give less or more exposure than it otherwise might output.
Only if you put the flash on flash Manual output control (e.g. 1/1, 1/2, 1/4 power) then you select the appropriate power level (not the camera ETTL command to the flash)

If HSS has been turned on, then the body gives the approporiate command to the flash to output for HSS according to the shutter speed which was selected.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 28, 2010 22:07 |  #3

Shamir wrote in post #11185026 (external link)
Hi there POTN!!!!!!!!

I want to buy the PW mini system for using with my 2 Canons 430EXiis.

The only reason I'd like to do this is the HSS but im a bit confused..

Lets say i'm shooting at

F/9 ISO 100 1/160th in daylight and my Canon 430EXii is in an umbrella at 1/2 power..

If I open up my aperture to f/2.8 iso100 and 1/800 or 1/1000, Do I lower my flash power to 1/8th?! or 1/16th and still get the same flash -subject exposure!?

sorry, i'm just a bit confused as I've seen in many workshops talking about shutter speed controls ambient and aperture controls flash exposure.

Any hint, tip or anything :p?!

With a shutter speed of 1/160, the flash would be working in "normal" mode. As soon as you set the shutter speed above the max sync speed of the camera, the flash will switch to HSS mode (assuming it has been enabled via the HSS switch). In HSS mode, the GN of the flash changes so that 1/2 power in HSS will no longer have the same brightness as 1/2 power in normal mode would. In other words, setting the flash to 1/8 or 1/16 power in HSS mode would decrease the flash intensity too much to provide the same flash illumination at f/2.8 as it did when set to 1/2 power at f/9. You would probably need to keep the flash at 1/2 power (or maybe even bump it up to between 1/2 and full power) if you set the shutter speed to 1/1000 since you lose about 2 stops switching to HSS mode and an additional stop for each stop above max sync speed you go.

...Leo

Shamir
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 29, 2010 13:06 |  #4

Thanks PacAce that was the answer I was looking for..

oh boy =/ and I thought it was THAT easy hahaha!

guess i'll stick with my Yongnuos for now!

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

900 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lighten me up on HSS
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.