Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 22:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Man Got His Shoes Shined in Paris in 1838

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 28, 2010 22:40 |  #1

And we have a picture to prove it.

"First Ever Photograph of a Human Being"

This photograph of Boulevard du Temple in Paris was made in 1838 by Louis Daguerre....

In the bottom left-hand corner is a man who just so happened to stay somewhat still during the shot — he was having his shoes shined.

http://****/2exg96m (external link)

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

sponsored links
tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 29, 2010 10:00 |  #2

Very cool photo, thanks for posting it!

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 29, 2010 10:22 |  #3

Saw this on yahoo a couple days ago. It still amazes me that I can capture an extremely detailed frame in time in 1/3000th of a second and show someone across the world within minutes via the web. We really do take for granted our readily available technology. If we thought of the idea around that time we were persecuted like witches and wizards.

Me in 1800: "yea so I have an idea that I can freeze time and show it to you"

Everyone else: "burn him"

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

swerv927
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 29, 2010 12:44 |  #4

ni$mo350 wrote in post #11187504 (external link)
Saw this on yahoo a couple days ago. It still amazes me that I can capture an extremely detailed frame in time in 1/3000th of a second and show someone across the world within minutes via the web. We really do take for granted our readily available technology. If we thought of the idea around that time we were persecuted like witches and wizards.

excellent take on this nismo...lol so true!

Irving Jai
IrvingJai photography (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 29, 2010 13:39 |  #5

This photo was showcased in the BBC documentary series "The Genius of Photography" for anyone wanting a little more info and maybe a tad bit of context.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 29, 2010 13:50 |  #6

^^ I'll have to look that up. I just watched the National Geographic documentary on the photographers and found it really interesting despite it being over 20-25 years old.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

Tedder
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 29, 2010 14:19 |  #7

ni$mo350 wrote in post #11187504 (external link)
Saw this on yahoo a couple days ago. It still amazes me that I can capture an extremely detailed frame in time in 1/3000th of a second and show someone across the world within minutes via the web. We really do take for granted our readily available technology.

So true.

If we thought of the idea around that time we were persecuted like witches and wizards.

Yes, sometimes we forget that the field of digital imaging is littered with the bodies of technological innovators who were burned as witches. ;)

Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

Tedder
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 29, 2010 14:23 |  #8

tracknut wrote in post #11187386 (external link)
Very cool photo, thanks for posting it!

Dave

You're welcome.

I thought it was especially interesting because the subject was engaged in the most mundane of activities and never knew the significance of the moment. The photographer would have understood when he looked at the final image. But the subject remained oblivious.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 29, 2010 15:38 |  #9

Quizzical_Squirrel wrote in post #11188840 (external link)
And also an interesting comment on social status since the man or boy actually shining the shoes in the photograph doesn't even get a mention!

I can't make him out. I assume he's there, but if he's not polishing that man's knee then I don't know what is what with him.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 29, 2010 15:45 |  #10

This is also like that video where a women from the early 1900's looks lke she's in the background on a cell phone.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 29, 2010 15:52 |  #11

Awesome! Thanks for the link :) I love pointless trivia!

ni$mo: lol @ burn him...thanks for the laugh

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

hella ­ 325
170 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 29, 2010 16:02 |  #12

This is very cool!

50D / 17-55mm 2.8/ 50mm 1.8/ 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 / 75-300mm 4-5.6 / 500mm f8 mirror reflex / Bower flash

Tedder
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 29, 2010 16:34 |  #13

Quizzical_Squirrel wrote in post #11188840 (external link)
And also an interesting comment on social status since the man or boy actually shining the shoes in the photograph doesn't even get a mention!

It's either a commentary on social status or an acknowledgment that of the possibly hundreds of people who were within the frame during this approximately 10-minute exposure, only one—the man receiving the shoe shine—is clearly distinguishable.

If it's a matter of social status, however, the almost entirely ghostly figure to the right of the shoe-shine scene must be the most socioeconomically downtrodden of all. Almost no one ever mentions the poor fellow.

Oh, by the way, the photograph is interesting, isn't it? :lol:

sponsored links

1,743 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Man Got His Shoes Shined in Paris in 1838
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.