Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Oct 2010 (Friday) 01:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Broken Shutter Repairss

roosterslayer
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 29, 2010 01:14 |  #1

Hey everyone i'm buying a fairly old dslr (heavily used 10d) w/ lens for $200. now the seller told me that it has been used A LOT but taken care of well.

my rebel xt is gone and i'm just buying it for back up body until i can mass together more funds for a 40d or something.

so back to the main point, if the shutter goes out on me after i make the purchase, how much would it cost to fix? if the price is low enough i'll hop on the 10d.

also is there anyway to tell if the shutter is starting to go out?

please and thanks!

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Lee
472 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 29, 2010 01:21 |  #2

I'd just save up for the 40D; but that's just me. Save the $200 you're considering dropping on the 10D -you're almost halfway to a used 40D :)

roosterslayer
THREAD ­ STARTER
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 29, 2010 01:25 |  #3

i was thinking of that too but i wont have something to shoot until xmas then haha not employed and have to use all money i get on books. i'm willing to lose the $200 to hold me over.

flickr (external link)

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 29, 2010 01:36 |  #4

FYI: If the shutter goes, it's probably going to be more economical just to buy a new camera then getting it repaired.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

roosterslayer
THREAD ­ STARTER
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 29, 2010 01:39 |  #5

really? i didnt realize it would cost that much. hmmm what should i do? i NEED something to shoot with, i can't wait until xmas. yes yes i'm making up excuses but yeah.

flickr (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 29, 2010 02:22 |  #6

This type of body would be good for a backup but don't know about an only camera. There are several decent Canon P&S cameras you can get for $100 or less. Save the other $100 towards a 40D and you will have a backup camera as well.

Flickr (external link)

roosterslayer
THREAD ­ STARTER
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 29, 2010 02:32 |  #7

okay perhaps i'll look into a used g series camera or something. thanks everyone.

flickr (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
11,145 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 29, 2010 02:36 |  #8

shutter for 10D is about US$45 depending on where you get it, ( see here (external link) ) and it takes a couple of hours labour to change so you'd probably not get much change out of $250

In reality, the shutter might last you 5 years or 5 months, so unless it's showing signs of failing (near horizontal dark/light bands across the image) then I wouldn't worry about it. For a camera & lens to cost $200, if it fails then you can probably recover at least some of that by selling it as "faulty"

Due to the cost of parts, there is a thriving business in broken cameras...

p.s. is the lens a 300mm F/2.8 IS? :-)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 29, 2010 02:38 |  #9

With the latest camera you don't even have to aim that high for something to get you by. For a pocket camera I have a three year old 7 MP HP and it takes very good images with flash or outdoors. Not much of a low light camera but even the Canon A490/495 cameras of today are much better with ISO.

Flickr (external link)

roosterslayer
THREAD ­ STARTER
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 29, 2010 03:07 |  #10

joeseph wrote in post #11186048 (external link)
shutter for 10D is about US$45 depending on where you get it, ( see here (external link) ) and it takes a couple of hours labour to change so you'd probably not get much change out of $250

In reality, the shutter might last you 5 years or 5 months, so unless it's showing signs of failing (near horizontal dark/light bands across the image) then I wouldn't worry about it. For a camera & lens to cost $200, if it fails then you can probably recover at least some of that by selling it as "faulty"

Due to the cost of parts, there is a thriving business in broken cameras...

p.s. is the lens a 300mm F/2.8 IS? :-)

thanks for the info! and i wish it was ;)

K6AZ wrote in post #11186052 (external link)
With the latest camera you don't even have to aim that high for something to get you by. For a pocket camera I have a three year old 7 MP HP and it takes very good images with flash or outdoors. Not much of a low light camera but even the Canon A490/495 cameras of today are much better with ISO.

i actually have a sigma dp1 which takes high enough quality images for me but i didnt know how slow it really was until i purchased it. so i don't like to use that (i shoot a lot under low light too).

flickr (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 29, 2010 03:14 |  #11

If you shoot a lot in low light I'm not sure how happy you would be with a 10D. Might want to hang on to your cash and aim a little higher like a 30D.

Flickr (external link)

roosterslayer
THREAD ­ STARTER
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 29, 2010 03:55 |  #12

K6AZ wrote in post #11186133 (external link)
If you shoot a lot in low light I'm not sure how happy you would be with a 10D. Might want to hang on to your cash and aim a little higher like a 30D.

yeah i gave it some thought and i think i might try to hold out as long as possible. pressing the shutter is like a drug sometimes though. it feels like its been a trillion years since ive looked through a viewfinder!!

thanks for all the info everyone!

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,886 views & 0 likes for this thread
Broken Shutter Repairss
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.