Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Oct 2010 (Friday) 02:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Default Sharpness Setting

TitusvilleSurfer
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 29, 2010 02:24 |  #1

I sharpen my photos post processing, but I have to convert them all from (3) to (0) sharpness in DPP before I convert them to TIFF for Photoshop (I have 7.7 which doesn't support RAW). Converting them isn't a huge deal but converting every photo every time is kind of annoying. Can I tell the camera not to sharpen RAW images?

50D | G11 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 IS | 580exII

sponsored links
artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 29, 2010 02:52 |  #2

You don't say what camera you have, but you should be able to change the default sharpness settings.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

TitusvilleSurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 29, 2010 02:56 |  #3

50D

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 29, 2010 03:07 |  #4

In your menu you will have some Picture style choices, select the one you are using, and then you can edit the settings, it should be in your manual.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 29, 2010 07:13 |  #5

TitusvilleSurfer wrote in post #11186010 (external link)
I sharpen my photos post processing, but I have to convert them all from (3) to (0) sharpness in DPP before I convert them to TIFF for Photoshop (I have 7.7 which doesn't support RAW). Converting them isn't a huge deal but converting every photo every time is kind of annoying. Can I tell the camera not to sharpen RAW images?

Why don't you want the DPP sharpening applied?

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

TitusvilleSurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 05, 2010 02:04 |  #6

Thank you artyman!!
I don't want the DPP sharpening applied because I re-size the image to a desirable size and then sharpen in Photoshop as a TIFF. If I don't eliminate the DPP sharpening, my method sharpens twice. Plus I just prefer unsharp mask to a 1-10 slider. There are exceptions. If I am batch processing 500 snapshots and really don't care about the fine details, I'll set sharpness to "6" and forget Photoshop all together. If I am posting 700x480 to Facebook as art, or if I am going to take the images to the print shop, I'm going for the most IQ I can pull.

MintMark
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 05, 2010 05:50 as a reply to  @ TitusvilleSurfer's post |  #7

The latest DPP has unsharp mask as an option as well as the slider.

Mark

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 05, 2010 07:58 |  #8

TitusvilleSurfer wrote in post #11228391 (external link)
Thank you artyman!!
I don't want the DPP sharpening applied because I re-size the image to a desirable size and then sharpen in Photoshop as a TIFF. If I don't eliminate the DPP sharpening, my method sharpens twice. Plus I just prefer unsharp mask to a 1-10 slider. There are exceptions. If I am batch processing 500 snapshots and really don't care about the fine details, I'll set sharpness to "6" and forget Photoshop all together. If I am posting 700x480 to Facebook as art, or if I am going to take the images to the print shop, I'm going for the most IQ I can pull.

That's fine - I asked because a lot of people do a minor amount of default sharpening in their RAW converter, then final output sharpening in their editing software.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 05, 2010 09:35 as a reply to  @ stsva's post |  #9

I have a 50D, shoot in RAW and use DPP for aquiring, tweaking and converting my images..

I always have my camera set to 3 sharpening and DPP defaults to this.. I find this is enough for my images but at times I do bump up the sharpness a bit..

The nice thing about shooting RAW with the 50D is that the images can handle quite a bit of sharpening in DPP without any nasty sharpening artifacts being evident..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Golfboy1971
32 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 06, 2010 11:57 |  #10

What I don't understand is why the default sharpness for "standard" and "landscape" modes on my 400D are set to a fairly low setting like 3 or 4 .... I can't understand why it's not defaulted to the maximum. I've compared images taken direct from the camera versus those with increased sharpness (in DPP) and the sharper ones look so much better.
I can understand someone wanting the "portrait" mode to have less sharpness, but I don't understand this for "standard" and "landscape" .... does anyone know why or have a suggestion why this is?

EOS 400D, Sigma 18-200, Tamron 10-24mm, Canon 24-105L F4 IS, Canon 70-200L F4 IS, Canon 50mm F1.8, Canon 430EXII

TitusvilleSurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 06, 2010 23:37 |  #11

Well, follow post #4 by "artyman" and you can set them all to whatever you want. :) I wanted zero sharpness and now I have it, but you can set any of the modes to whatever you want.

sponsored links

3,555 views & 0 likes for this thread
Default Sharpness Setting
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.