Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 29 Oct 2010 (Friday) 13:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CHAT Thread: SMWYG Return of the Photographer

Permagrin
THREAD ­ STARTER
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 14, 2010 12:57 |  #91

airfrogusmc wrote in post #11449783 (external link)
Back to this, here was what Bresson has to say about his approach.

" "Manufactured' or staged photography does not concern me. And if I make a judgment, it can only be on a psychological or sociological level. There are those who take photographs arranged beforehand and those who go out to discover the image and seize it. For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity, the master of the instant which - in visual terms - questions and decides simultaneously. In order to "give a meaning" to the world, one has to feel oneself involved in what he frames through the viewfinder. This attitude requires concentration, a discipline of mind, sensitivity, and a sense of geometry. It is by great economy of means that one arrives at simplicity of expression. One must always take photos with the greatest respect for the subject and for oneself." - Henri Cartier-Bresson

I love his work and I totally think that there's a place for the photojournalistic style that he has portrayed with such excellence.

My point in posting the other link was because not too many people do the true PJ style. There could be a whole post or more on learning to "see creatively" instead of snapshot photography, just about shooting photojournalistically.

Right now the trend seems to be setting up a shot, but making it look PJ. And there's the "I don't know how to see creatively" set. Since we have all skill levels here.

I truly believe that a creative photographer will out-strip the rules every time. But in my years of working with other photographers, I've seen that many people have a hard time seeing "outside the box" and being creative with their photography. Creativity does set a photographer apart from the masses of "man with a camera". Sometimes visual aides will get them on a "creative thinking" spree. Sometimes not.

Am I saying that the best photographers follow the rules all the time? Nope. I saw this photograph (here on potn) yesterday. It was of a woman laying down. That's it. Converted to B&W. Hand cut off. That's what the photo technically was and if a person wanted to be critical, that's all they would see...rules. But artistically, the light was beautiful, the mood was seductive. It was an arresting shot. Technically the hand should not have been cut off, true. But the shot was truly beautiful and excellent handling of the light and model far outstripped the hand, to the point that it wasn't noticeable in the scope of things.

I am also not saying that people can ignore the rules and be masters. Sometimes people see things and don't know how to accomplish it. I can't tell you how many "candid street shots" I see after a conversation on Bresson. But just because a shot is a "candid street shot" does not make it Bresson quality. It's learning how to see...Bresson (as you so aptly quoted) was involved with his shots. He set them up in his mind as he shot them. Too many people think that sitting at a cafe table and snapping photos while the camera is sitting on the table, or surreptitiously taking a snap, is that same sort of work. And very RARELY is that the case. Mostly it is just a snapshot that may or may not have some interest. The important thing is learning that it's not the same quality. And why it's not. And how to move from random snapping to master photographer.

Back to the "setting up". For most, imo, it's less "staging" than it is, learning to see creatively. Which is something we can learn about, by being open and looking at what we see, why we like it and how we can accomplish it. So I find it liberating to not feel that I have to catch everything PJ, just as I find it liberating to not have to stage everything. There's a place for it all, in this art of ours.

FWIW, I think that SMWYG is just a small part of the "process" in growing as a photog. Though I've never entered this contest, I've learned a lot through the last 4 years. It's been very enlightening. Just in judging/viewing everyone's shots, it's taught me to see beyond my box. And make no mistake, we all have boxes. No matter how "liberal" our thinking is, we've made ourselves boxes and thinking, as well as seeing, beyond them is very difficult. Getting past our own egos/feelings/opinions​, can be very difficult. But I can see, as people open up and are willing to see things from another perspective, magnitudes of growth/changes happen in their work. The difference in 4 years is astonishing, for nearly everyone who's participated that long.

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,862 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Dec 14, 2010 14:42 as a reply to  @ Permagrin's post |  #92

Like I said in a previous post #73

"There are many ways to see great photographs. There are many great photographer like Bresson, Davidson, Winogrand, Franks, and many other street photographers that learned to see the moment and others that set everything up like the one Lisa showed and everything in between. Joel-Peter Witkin is another that likes to set up everything. Theres also previsualist (west coast school-zonesystem) and post visualists (east coast school-mostly street). Its all good. Find something that works for you...."

You'll never know whats best for you unless you try many different avenues. I tend to be a bit of both, maybe more to the set up side when working and more toward the moment and found image side when doing personal work.

Jason ­ C
do I need to submit a resume...?
4,841 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 15, 2010 20:07 as a reply to  @ post 11438871 |  #93

Congrats to the NOV SMWYG winners!

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

-g-
Horribly disfigured but learning to cope
12,517 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 17, 2010 19:02 |  #94

Hey, check out the email I got today. I submitted my Havana Sunset photo. :) Make sure to buy the February 2011 edition of Popular Photography. Not sure if I got First, Second or Third.

Hi Geno,

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WIN

In order to process payment for POP Photo February 2011 , ‘Your Best Shot’, please fill out the attached W9 or W8BEN (whichever applies) and return to my attention:

Flickr (external link)--------------- Facebook (external link)--------------- Web (external link)--------------- Twitter (external link)
GENO.CA - Vancouver wedding photographer

Permagrin
THREAD ­ STARTER
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 17, 2010 19:03 as a reply to  @ -g-'s post |  #95

SWEET! Geno that's awesome!

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

Barb ­ W
Goldmember
1,590 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 17, 2010 19:09 |  #96

WTG Geno, fantastic news,....cheers!

lavanut
Goldmember
2,495 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 17, 2010 20:27 as a reply to  @ Barb W's post |  #97

Awesome Geno! I'll be looking for that when the mag comes in the mail!

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

-g-
12,517 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 17, 2010 22:34 |  #98

Thanks guys! My subscription runs out this month, I better call and renew! :)

Flickr (external link)--------------- Facebook (external link)--------------- Web (external link)--------------- Twitter (external link)

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,342 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 17, 2010 22:55 |  #99

Wow....Very cool Geno, Congratulations....Pop Photo is a pretty big deal ....That's fantastic.

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

Cotmweasel
995 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 17, 2010 23:23 |  #100

Congrats Geno!

-Dave
Equipment List: 5DS-R, 100mm IS L macro, 50mm Carl Zeiss ZE.
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/cotmweasel/ (external link)

Jason ­ C
do I need to submit a resume...?
4,841 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 18, 2010 01:24 |  #101

WTG Geno!

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

vmlopes
Goldmember
4,917 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 18, 2010 05:25 |  #102

Nice one Geno, along the same lines the UK SE POTN members area here entered the monthly theme competition in one of our national magazines DSLR User, out of the three shots that were entered for landscape/architecture theme by all the clubs ours were selected winners............min​e was the "Dovecote"............​..all the shots were presented on a mahoosive projector system at Canon Uk Headquaters at the grand prize evening.

We were awarded £1000 in Canon Image Vouchers for the win.............which is great for someone that now shoots with a Nikon.............lol

You guys probably dont get the magazine over there, but the shots will be featured next month in print..............http://www.dslruser.co​.uk …ayout=blog&id=5​&Itemid=79 (external link)

Flickr (external link)
"I choose to live my life to a different tune of music., one which is not censored or wrapped so much with a blanket of over -regulation, Health & Safety gone mad, fear and blind compliance to anything you are told to do"........... Downfallen, RIP

-g-
12,517 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 18, 2010 08:49 as a reply to  @ vmlopes's post |  #103

thatkatmat wrote in post #11472458 (external link)
Wow....Very cool Geno, Congratulations....Pop Photo is a pretty big deal ....That's fantastic.

It's not Time, Life or National Geographic but it's cool when it's the only mag I subscribe to. :)

-g-
12,517 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 18, 2010 08:52 |  #104

vmlopes wrote in post #11473278 (external link)
NWe were awarded £1000 in Canon Image Vouchers for the win.............which is great for someone that now shoots with a Nikon...........

Congratulations, Victor! Maybe it's time to switch back to the good side. :)

DSLR user is available over here, it's super expensive though, I only buy it once in a while but I really get inspired by it when I do.

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,342 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 18, 2010 15:24 |  #105

geno.ca wrote in post #11473712 (external link)
It's not Time, Life or National Geographic but it's cool when it's the only mag I subscribe to. :)

Me too, if you don't count Nickelodeon Magazine;)

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

sponsored links

9,792 views & 0 likes for this thread
CHAT Thread: SMWYG Return of the Photographer
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.