Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 29 Oct 2010 (Friday) 13:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CHAT Thread: SMWYG Return of the Photographer

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 01, 2011 04:04 |  #121

I just bought a NEC PA241W and calibrated it to 5500. The white is a little warmer than 6500. Replaced a decent Gateway (compared to most laptop displays).

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 01, 2011 13:32 |  #122

Happy New Year's all!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 02, 2011 05:23 |  #123

I know I'm showing my ignorance and newbieness here, but...what the heck does SMWYG mean, anyway?

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

vmlopes
Goldmember
4,917 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 02, 2011 05:32 |  #124

gkuenning wrote in post #11556914 (external link)
I know I'm showing my ignorance and newbieness here, but...what the heck does SMWYG mean, anyway?

Show Me What You Got ;)

Flickr (external link)
"I choose to live my life to a different tune of music., one which is not censored or wrapped so much with a blanket of over -regulation, Health & Safety gone mad, fear and blind compliance to anything you are told to do"........... Downfallen, RIP

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 02, 2011 05:38 |  #125

jetcode wrote in post #11508600 (external link)
Ed, I have a question for you, and well any other photographer who shoots people. In the Acropolis image I take it the people in this photograph have no idea they are being included in your art. Does this represent an issue of privacy? For some reason I have an aversion to shooting people without permission. I am trying to understand if this is a real rights violation or a mental block.

geno.ca wrote in post #11508893 (external link)
Ed's shot would be an interesting court case. Theoretically, they are not in a public place so I'd assume a release would be required.

It depends on where the shot was taken.

Note: IANAL, and the following should not be construed as legal advice.

If it was taken in the U.S., U.K., Australia, or (I think) New Zealand, there is no problem with using the picture in an artistic book or calendar, a gallery display (including selling it), or a news article. All of these are considered "editorial" usages and don't require a model release. The people in the picture are in a public place, next to an uncovered window, and have no reasonable expectation of privacy. A model release would be needed only if the picture were used commercially, such as advertising the restaurant. (Note that simply selling the image isn't "commercial use" in this sense.)

I believe that the rules for Canada are similar, but I don't know that for a fact.

In France and Germany, my understanding is that it is illegal to even take the photo, regardless of what you do with it afterwards. However, there's an exception for incidental captures, so that if Ed's photo were a crop from a larger shot of the entire street, it would have been legal to take it, but possibly not to publish the crop. Again, IANAL in any country.

My general impression is that other non-English-speaking countries generally tend toward the French/German theory that you have privacy even when you're wandering around in public. Since learning about these rules, I've gotten much more cautious when I'm in foreign lands. But I still shoot freely in English-speaking lands.

As to the original question about ethics, I try to follow a rule of not presenting people in an unflattering light. Beyond that, I think it's fair game.

EDIT: Google "Legal Rights for Photographers" for an extended discussion by a lawyer.

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

T.D.
33,675 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 02, 2011 21:49 |  #126

This week's winners here: https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=11561332&po​stcount=74

Take a picture, it lasts longer (external link)
(My Gallery) (external link)

sponsored links

9,596 views & 0 likes for this thread
CHAT Thread: SMWYG Return of the Photographer
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.