Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 29 Oct 2010 (Friday) 20:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Traveling soon. A couple of questions?

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 29, 2010 20:21 |  #1

I'll be going to shoot a destination wedding soon. yyaayy!!!:D

Problem is I've never been traveling with my professional gear before.

I have check the airlines carry on size and weight. Sizewise, I'm good. But weight is the problem.

I'm going on Hawaiian Air. maximum weight 25 lbs. Some rolling cases alone already weighing between 9-11 lbs.
1. Do they strickly enforced the weight for the carry on?

They allow a personal item (such as laptop with bag or small backpack) in addition to the carry on bag. I'm thinking of distributing the gears between the carry on bag and laptop/small backpack for the weight problem.

2. Is there a bag that I can fit my 15" MBP and maybe a couple of lenses/accessories that would be acceptable to be in the personal item category?

I'm thinking of checking in my pelican 1610 with other unimportant items, including extra batteries, light stand, belt system, etc.

3. Is there a light stand that can fit inside the pelican 1610? I think it's about 21"

4. Would bringing the pelican attracts unwanted attention? "look at that case, it must contain expensive stuff inside"

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 29, 2010 20:26 |  #2

Pack "unbreakable" stuff, like the light stand, in checked baggage if possible. And wear a photographer's vest which you load up with what gear you can to get it out of the bags when/if they weigh them. If you're worried about the Pelican's looks, get a cheap cloth-sided suitcase to put it in. The 1610's not a carry-on size.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sas8888
835 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 29, 2010 20:35 |  #3

I carry on my pelican 1510 and a camera backpack with my laptop and other camera equipment. They both weigh a lot. just be able to lift both into the overhead baggage by yourself without to much trouble. This should be the most valuable things. You can pack other things in your 1610 and lock it knowing that it is semi secure. (I don't trust anything in checked luggage is going to make it) Also what I have found that works if they want you to check your carry on bag just tell them the truth that you have your professional camera equipment and laptop in the bags and that its worth XXXX dollars. they don't want to be responsible for that and usually just say ok and let you through

Scott
gripped 5D MkII

hk29
49 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 30, 2010 02:34 |  #4

Hawaiian Air is not always consistent. Are you headed to Oahu or another island. They might care more if you're on a flight between the islands.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 30, 2010 05:07 |  #5

When I really need a lot of gear on a trip I use FedEx with the gear shipped inside a hard case with even more protection between the hard case and the shipping box. This has been the easiest and surest way for me. I only travel on the mainland though, it could be expensive to HI.

If you do plan to carry your gear on the flight check the airline web site, they all list their carryon size/weight restrictions. And never, ever put any photo gear in checked baggage.

Flickr (external link)

psxindo
THREAD ­ STARTER
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 30, 2010 11:41 |  #6

hk29 wrote in post #11192139 (external link)
Hawaiian Air is not always consistent. Are you headed to Oahu or another island. They might care more if you're on a flight between the islands.

The Wedding is going to be in Maui.
Right now I have 2 options.
1 fly straight to maui and stay there.
2 fly to honolulu and have a little vacation, then fly to maui for the wedding.

option 2 is cheaper if I use Hawaiian air to honolulu then Island air to maui.
But the problem is island air is only allowing 16 lbs for carry on.

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

sas8888
835 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 30, 2010 12:13 |  #7

On those small plane flights you can gate check the baggage when you are getting on the plane as its very hard to fit anything in the overhead on those things.

Scott
gripped 5D MkII

Roobaix
206 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 30, 2010 19:32 |  #8

sas8888 wrote in post #11193583 (external link)
its very hard to fit anything in the overhead on those things.

Came in here to say this.

I just came back from Hawaii a few weeks back. When we flew inter-island, the planes were on the small side. I wasn't able to fit my Timbuk2 messenger bag in the overhead! It really was that small. The flight attendant told me that I would need to check it, and I told her that's not happening. I ended up shoving it under my seat. Just keep that in mind.

Oh...and option 2 is the better idea :) Honolulu is ok, and Waikiki is extremely touristy. There is a good amount of stuff to do in the area: Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, etc. I'd recommend heading up to the North Shore too, but I guess it really depends what you want to see/do.

Gear List

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 31, 2010 07:17 |  #9

Been there, done that. Ditch the light stands and extra gear. Take your cameras and lenses in a a nice big bag that will get on the plane with you as carry on. You can get away with a UD50/60 and that's about it. There is a tendency with those little planes that some things get damaged, but you can decide what must go. If I were you, I'd take the 5D2, 7D, 70-200 2.8 IS VII, 24-70, 17-40, 2 primes, 2 flashes, 4 batteries, CF cards, filters and that's it! You don't need more and you can't negotiate more. Weigh everything and see what you get. Don't take any clothes in your carry on. With my own experience, I would take the 2 camera bodies, the 24-70 and 70-200 and one prime, one flash. If you are getting paid and you want to take everything, go ahead and pay the extra bring more, even if it's overweight. Insure everything.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links

1,432 views & 0 likes for this thread
Traveling soon. A couple of questions?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.