Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Nov 2010 (Monday) 02:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Arca Swiss Plate.

Azzure_7
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 01, 2010 02:13 |  #1

Just got myself a Z1 DP and was wondering if anyone has any personal opinion about the plates.

Below is a few that I've been looking for. If you have any other suggestion, let me know. As for starters, I'd like one that is universal.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Swiss_802208.ht​ml#reviews (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …uick_Release.ht​ml#reviews (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …e_1_4.html#spec​ifications (external link)

http://www.adorama.com​/AWSFCPSLR.html (external link)

http://www.adorama.com​/AWSFCP32.html (external link)

I guess I am still don't know how each one will affect me in terms of shooting.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
viktorsundberg
218 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 01, 2010 04:55 |  #2

I have a Z1 and started out by ordering the Arca-Swiss plates (not anti-twist) but I was very disappointed and returned them at once. They twist like hell. Rubber it better, but they twist too. So now you do not have to make that mistake also :) I didn't try that anti twist plate, but it is probably not so good it it isn't designed for a specific camera body, battery grip or lens mount.

So what I did was order three modell specific plates from Kirk Enterprises, one for my body (battery grip BG-E4) and one for each one of my tele-photo lenses (70-200 and 300). These are really very, very good and can not twist or anything. I highly recommend them, and then fit the Arca-Swiss perfectly! I am very happy with my Kirk plates, they are expensive but worth the money, easily!

These are the ones I got:

BG-E4: http://www.kirkphoto.c​om …te_for_5D_with_​BG-E4.html (external link)
70-200 II: http://www.kirkphoto.c​om …-200mm_f_2.8_L_IS_II.ht​ml (external link)
300mm (old one): http://www.kirkphoto.c​om …e_for_Canon_300​mm_f4.html (external link)

5D mk III | TS-E 17 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 300 f/2.8L IS | 600 f/4L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | Gitzo tripods | RRS ballheads | Wimberley gimbal
Photographer and author from Sweden. Teacher at Canon and organizer of independent workshops. Visit my website: www.viktorsundberg.se (external link)

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 01, 2010 06:03 as a reply to  @ viktorsundberg's post |  #3

Check out Really Right Stuff (external link) for Arca-Swiss compatible plates. That's what I use and they are excellent. Pricey, but excellent...

John

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 01, 2010 07:14 |  #4

I have ebay lens plates and an ebay plate for the 7D. They are awesome quality except the lens plates were not QUITE wide enough to clamp properly in the Jobu clamp (plates were about 38mm at max width) so I had to modify the clamp a touch. The 7D plate was wider so that's fine, also fits the 7D extremely well. The plates I got are branded "kiwifoto". The other clamp I've got - another ebay item - is still very good quality and clamped tighter so didn't need to be modified.

I simply wouldn't bring myself to buy the expensive lens plates.

I'm sure a brand snob will think the ebay stuff is junk, but the things are a chunk of aluminium with no moving parts.

Also FYI it's not just ebay plates that may not be wide enough. A helpful chart can be found here: http://afximages.de/st​uff/arca-plates-xref.html (external link)

viktorsundberg
218 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 01, 2010 10:28 |  #5

phreeky wrote in post #11203157 (external link)
I simply wouldn't bring myself to buy the expensive lens plates. I'm sure a brand snob will think the ebay stuff is junk, but the things are a chunk of aluminium with no moving parts.

Im sure e-bay plates can be very good, however I have had some bad experience with plates during the years and when I find something that works *perfectly* (which I have doen now) it's worth every cent to be able to rely on your gear to 100%.

Plates, clamps and ballheads reliability is very important. You might have thousands (or tens of thousands) of stuff attached to it and you want it to hold, and not twist. I often carry my tripod over my shoulder (with the camera attached) for a couple of hundred meters when I move around and you really want your stuff to work well. If the ebay plates do this, that's great, but it's also worth 50 bucks to get something you REALLY can rely on.

I can understand saving a couple of thousand dollars on getting a f/4 lens instead of a f/2.8 lens, but I can't really understand saving 50 bucks on such an important part of your gear, it's the weakest link tbh.

5D mk III | TS-E 17 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 300 f/2.8L IS | 600 f/4L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | Gitzo tripods | RRS ballheads | Wimberley gimbal
Photographer and author from Sweden. Teacher at Canon and organizer of independent workshops. Visit my website: www.viktorsundberg.se (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 01, 2010 12:02 |  #6

Azzure_7 wrote in post #11202500 (external link)
Just got myself a Z1 DP and was wondering if anyone has any personal opinion about the plates.

Below is a few that I've been looking for. If you have any other suggestion, let me know. As for starters, I'd like one that is universal.

Stay away from the Arca-Swiss plates.

What clamp do you have on the Z1?

The best universal plate I've seen is the Wimberley P-5 (external link). Beautifully made, it works on everything as advertised.

~Peter

Azzure_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 01, 2010 14:30 |  #7

viktorsundberg wrote in post #11202842 (external link)
I have a Z1 and started out by ordering the Arca-Swiss plates (not anti-twist) but I was very disappointed and returned them at once. They twist like hell. Rubber it better, but they twist too. So now you do not have to make that mistake also :) I didn't try that anti twist plate, but it is probably not so good it it isn't designed for a specific camera body, battery grip or lens mount.

So what I did was order three modell specific plates from Kirk Enterprises, one for my body (battery grip BG-E4) and one for each one of my tele-photo lenses (70-200 and 300). These are really very, very good and can not twist or anything. I highly recommend them, and then fit the Arca-Swiss perfectly! I am very happy with my Kirk plates, they are expensive but worth the money, easily!

These are the ones I got:

BG-E4: http://www.kirkphoto.c​om …te_for_5D_with_​BG-E4.html (external link)
70-200 II: http://www.kirkphoto.c​om …-200mm_f_2.8_L_IS_II.ht​ml (external link)
300mm (old one): http://www.kirkphoto.c​om …e_for_Canon_300​mm_f4.html (external link)

Thanks much!
I wouldn't have known that. I assume arca swiss will be better since all reviews I found on B&H and Adorama only writes great review of them. Glad that I asked here before I bought one.

I have camera plates before and this is quite a major problem for me already. No matter how tight I tighten it, it will just move. The only way I can tighten it hard enough is to tighten it when it is on the tripod by twisting the whole camera body. And by doing this, I am worried that the grip will break one day.

When I tighten it real tight, I will encounter problem such as improper alignment which bugs me in some way or I will have problems opening it.

JWright wrote in post #11202991 (external link)
Check out Really Right Stuff (external link) for Arca-Swiss compatible plates. That's what I use and they are excellent. Pricey, but excellent...

phreeky wrote in post #11203157 (external link)
I have ebay lens plates and an ebay plate for the 7D. They are awesome quality except the lens plates were not QUITE wide enough to clamp properly in the Jobu clamp (plates were about 38mm at max width) so I had to modify the clamp a touch. The 7D plate was wider so that's fine, also fits the 7D extremely well. The plates I got are branded "kiwifoto". The other clamp I've got - another ebay item - is still very good quality and clamped tighter so didn't need to be modified.

I simply wouldn't bring myself to buy the expensive lens plates.

I'm sure a brand snob will think the ebay stuff is junk, but the things are a chunk of aluminium with no moving parts.

Also FYI it's not just ebay plates that may not be wide enough. A helpful chart can be found here: http://afximages.de/st​uff/arca-plates-xref.html (external link)

Thanks for the links. That is very informative.

peter_n wrote in post #11204520 (external link)
Stay away from the Arca-Swiss plates.

What clamp do you have on the Z1?

The best universal plate I've seen is the Wimberley P-5 (external link). Beautifully made, it works on everything as advertised.

Peter,
I have A Z1 double pan head with the regular knob clamp(not the flip lock).
Have you experience with one by the way?

By the way, any of you guys using markins pg-50?(link to product below) I am using 5d mk1 gripped with BG-E4.

http://www.markinsamer​ica.com/MA5/PG-50.php (external link)

Thought this might be a good choice as I might be upgrading to 1 series in a year or two.

flickr (external link)

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 01, 2010 17:14 |  #8

For the base of your camera get a plate that is as long as possible without actually blocking anything. That way you still sit the camera stable on a bench. Here is the ebay item I use under my 7D: http://cgi.ebay.com.au …iewItem&item=11​0584893401 (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 01, 2010 19:07 |  #9

Azzure_7 wrote in post #11205419 (external link)
Peter,
I have A Z1 double pan head with the regular knob clamp(not the flip lock).
Have you experience with one by the way?

By the way, any of you guys using markins pg-50?(link to product below) I am using 5d mk1 gripped with BG-E4.

Does the clamp have one or two levels/dovetails? I've never used Arca-Swiss clamps, only Markins clamps.

I stay away from the Markins plates, and use RRS, Wimberley, Benro and ProMediaGear plates.

~Peter

Azzure_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 01, 2010 20:37 |  #10

phreeky wrote in post #11206510 (external link)
For the base of your camera get a plate that is as long as possible without actually blocking anything. That way you still sit the camera stable on a bench. Here is the ebay item I use under my 7D: http://cgi.ebay.com.au …iewItem&item=11​0584893401 (external link)

Thanks. I don't see one for 5D though.
I think I will be going for Kirk posiibly.

peter_n wrote in post #11207164 (external link)
Does the clamp have one or two levels/dovetails? I've never used Arca-Swiss clamps, only Markins clamps.

I stay away from the Markins plates, and use RRS, Wimberley, Benro and ProMediaGear plates.

Levels/ dovetail? I am afraid I have no idea what you are talking about. Please enlighten me.

Well I guess I will go either Kirk or Wimberly. I at least know that if I were to get Kirk's plate I would be a happier man. :)

flickr (external link)

viktorsundberg
218 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 02, 2010 02:31 |  #11

Azzure_7 wrote in post #11207724 (external link)
I think I will be going for Kirk posiibly.

You would not regret that choice, even if I'm sure there are other good plates too. Model specific is the way to go!

Azzure_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 02, 2010 03:10 as a reply to  @ viktorsundberg's post |  #12

Victorsundberg,

Thank you for all your input today. I have bought a used Wimberley p-5 as Peter has suggested on B&H. I will probably see how it works out for me. Used item doesn't always come often so I figure I'll take my chances. If it doesn't, I will definitely get a Kirk without a second thought! :)

flickr (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 02, 2010 08:00 |  #13

Azzure_7 wrote in post #11207724 (external link)
Levels/ dovetail? I am afraid I have no idea what you are talking about. Please enlighten me.

Take a look at this Arca-Swiss Z1 page from the B&H web site (external link). Click on the "More Images" link under the picture to get a better view. That A-S clamp is actually two clamps in one, the lower clamp is I believe for some Arca-Swiss proprietary thingy, the upper clamp is for your regular Arca-Swiss type camera plate.

A dovetail is where an angle is made for joining two pieces together, I think it originates in woodworking. As you can see in the picture the wall of the clamp is angled in from the top, and the plate is angled in the reverse direction. The two together make a very secure joint. This type of camera quick-release system is loosely called a "dovetail" clamp.

The picture shows clearly that the clamp has an upper and lower level. Users have complained that some camera plates with screw stops don't work in such a design because the top clamp is raised. That's why I asked the question above about whether your clamp has two levels or dovetails.

~Peter

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 03, 2010 00:00 |  #14

I've used Kirk, RRS and eBay plates on cameras and lenses clamping to the Markins Q3 head w/ Markins clamp and Kirk clamp on monopod and they all worked great. Pretty much performed the same way.

If you're using RRS level clamp and not the twisted knob, then they recommend their own plates.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

Azzure_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 04, 2010 02:54 |  #15

peter_n wrote in post #11209907 (external link)
Take a look at this Arca-Swiss Z1 page from the B&H web site (external link). Click on the "More Images" link under the picture to get a better view. That A-S clamp is actually two clamps in one, the lower clamp is I believe for some Arca-Swiss proprietary thingy, the upper clamp is for your regular Arca-Swiss type camera plate.

A dovetail is where an angle is made for joining two pieces together, I think it originates in woodworking. As you can see in the picture the wall of the clamp is angled in from the top, and the plate is angled in the reverse direction. The two together make a very secure joint. This type of camera quick-release system is loosely called a "dovetail" clamp.

The picture shows clearly that the clamp has an upper and lower level. Users have complained that some camera plates with screw stops don't work in such a design because the top clamp is raised. That's why I asked the question above about whether your clamp has two levels or dovetails.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Monoball_Z1_dp​_with.html (external link)

That's the one I got exactly. It's great so far. Couldn't be happier. It so smooth.

4x4rock wrote in post #11215190 (external link)
I've used Kirk, RRS and eBay plates on cameras and lenses clamping to the Markins Q3 head w/ Markins clamp and Kirk clamp on monopod and they all worked great. Pretty much performed the same way.

If you're using RRS level clamp and not the twisted knob, then they recommend their own plates.

4x4, Thanks for your input.

Got my Wimberley and had no problem so far. It's unlike my previous plate that always move around no matter how tight I tighten it.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,560 views & 0 likes for this thread
Arca Swiss Plate.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.