Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 01 Nov 2010 (Monday) 10:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photos sold as a school fundraiser?

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 01, 2010 10:52 |  #1

I did a quick search and didn't find anything that really answered my question. I apologize if I missed something.

Some quick background: My daughter is a sophomore in HS. Last year as a freshman, out of the blue, she tried out for the school's big musical for the year (Suessical) and got the part of Cindy Lou Who. I knew that they didn't allow any video or photography at the performances so I asked my daughter to find out if parents could take pictures at a dress rehearsal. As it turns out, the drama boosters club has historically taken dress rehearsal pictures and sold them during the performances as a fundraiser. As a result of my initial inquiry, I soon found myself volunteering to help with that fundraiser and took pictures for 3 of their plays last year.

Due to the success of the picture sales last year, I was asked to oversee that whole endeavor as the lady who did that job last year no longer had a student at the school. The process for sales to date has been very limited and very labor intensive. They display pictures at the show, have order forms for patrons to fill out, and then manually go about the process of getting reprints, hand delivering the picture packages at the school, and collecting that associated funds.

This year, I had hoped to not only expand our audience to friends and family who don't live in the area or can't attend the performances and the products we offer for sale, but to also off-load a lot of the back-end work involved with these sales by setting up a SmugMug account through which all sales would be conducted. However, I've run into a glitch.

For the purposes of reporting income, SmugMug needs either a tax ID number (EIN) or a personal SSN. I know that the best way to approach this would be for the booster club to incorporate and register as a non-profit. However, I've been told that it is cost prohibitive for them to do so. And, understandably, the school district regards the various booster clubs and separate entities from the school district itself and does not want us to use their EIN.

Do any of you have any ideas or suggestions as to how we can achieve our goal of online sales that would allow 100% of the proceeds to go directly to the school's drama department tax-free short of the incorporation route? Somewhat naively I suppose, I didn't initially see this being such a complicated matter. Basically, we are trying to have a glorified virtual bake sale. But I also understand the problems from SmugMug's side.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS I know that many pros view these types of activities as taking away potential clients for their services. In our case, we actually use a pro to take the "formal" posed cast pictures. In return, he donates 1 large framed print to the school for their display and then sells prints of multiple poses and groups to the students and their families. It is only the candid, dress rehearsal pictures that the booster club is involved with.

Blane
Gear List

sponsored links
Ken_from_MD
167 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 01, 2010 12:06 |  #2

You might try going to the school administration. At our school each department has their own tax ID number, and the school has one for overall purchases. There might be a tax ID number for the drama department that you could get permission to use for this purpose.

EOS 7D | EF 28-135mm IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 100-400mm L IS | 2x II TC | 430EX II | Manfrotto 681B and 190CXPRO3 with 486RC2 | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW and 300AW

BTBeilke
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 01, 2010 12:15 |  #3

Thanks for the idea Ken. I'll give that a shot. I talked to the district's CFO last week and he never mentioned anything like that. But, you never know until you ask.

Blane
Gear List

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 01, 2010 12:31 |  #4

It may end up being easier for tax/administrative reasons to just post the photos online to be previewed and then have them use paper forms. They go look at the pics online, get the photo #'s they want and use that to fill in the paper forms. Students could arrange the printing and distribution.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sas8888
835 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 01, 2010 18:58 |  #5

I did this one year for my sister who heads up a local drama club. I found that displaying the photos and taking the order on the spot had higher sales than web. It was a pain to set up but was better in the end

Scott
gripped 5D MkII

BTBeilke
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 02, 2010 09:22 |  #6

sas8888 wrote in post #11207126 (external link)
I did this one year for my sister who heads up a local drama club. I found that displaying the photos and taking the order on the spot had higher sales than web. It was a pain to set up but was better in the end

Under ideal conditions, we had intended to do both. On site we were always going to have a display setup showing all (or at least a large percentage) of the photos. We were also going to have a couple of the ticketing computers set up to allow anyone who wanted to or anyone who needed help to order online right at the performance. In addition, we are going to sell DVD of the entire set of digital images at the performances. (The DVD sales are almost pure profit and we collect the money and "deliver" the product right at the show so it is pretty hassle-free.) So, it was never intended to be a 100% internet based venture. The part we were trying to eliminate was all of the post-sales hassles whereby the boosters had to order everything themselves and then chase down the customers to deliver the photos and collect the money.

tkbslc wrote in post #11204680 (external link)
It may end up being easier for tax/administrative reasons to just post the photos online to be previewed and then have them use paper forms. They go look at the pics online, get the photo #'s they want and use that to fill in the paper forms. Students could arrange the printing and distribution.

At least in the short-term, this is what we are considering. We'll probably go ahead and set up the website and hand out cards with the site URL with instructions as to how products can be ordered at anytime after the performances. We'll probably create a PDF order form and set up an email account to which orders can be sent. That method still puts us right in the middle of the ordering-delivery-money collection part of it, but it still gives the opportunity to sell to patrons who couldn't make a live performance.

Blane
Gear List

WMS
"Escargot on the Hoof"
2,884 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Location: California, the land of the politicaly corrupt and innept

Nov 02, 2010 13:13 |  #7

BTBeilke wrote in post #11204130 (external link)
... For the purposes of reporting income, SmugMug needs either a tax ID number (EIN) or a personal SSN. I know that the best way to approach this would be for the booster club to incorporate and register as a non-profit. However, I've been told that it is cost prohibitive for them to do so. And, understandably, the school district regards the various booster clubs and separate entities from the school district itself and does not want us to use their EIN. ...

I am not sure about the need to incorporate to have a EIN, contact your local IRS office (the IRS issues EIN's) and describe what and why you want a number. The IRS really is there to help.

Wayne

I'm just a simple maker of love charms and tokens,who occasionally takes a picture or two.
Gear list: more toys than I need, Fewer than I want.

sponsored links

1,144 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photos sold as a school fundraiser?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.