Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 01 Nov 2010 (Monday) 16:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help.

nub4sh
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 01, 2010 16:35 |  #1

Hello everyone.

As you can see, I dont post a lot here but reading a lot of threads lately especially here in the wedding section. Ill be shooting a wedding this coming 12th of Nov. The bride is my friend and she ask me to shoot the wedding which I hesitate at first because i dont have any experience shooting wedding. She insisted so i gave in. Im no professional, so i didnt ask any payment for this. So this is just a gift for them (if i can do it properly). Now, She said that i cannot use flash and i cannot roam around the church during ceremony. The vicar told her that i can only stay in one spot which isnt good. Now, the thing is my lenses are limited because im more of landscape photography. I have 7D(gripped), Sigma 10-20 f3.5, Canon 50mm f1.8 and mainly im going to use Canon 24-70mm f2.8L.

Can any pros here advice what to do? How can i do this properly?

5D Mark 3 | 7D + gripped | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II | Canon 35 f1.4L | Canon 50 f1.8 II

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 01, 2010 18:35 |  #2

For the ceremony use ISO3200, F2.8, and at least 1/50th. If you can't get 1/50th go to the 50 F1.8 and use F1.8, but it's a bit soft, and a bit long. The 10-20 at F3.5 means you might need ISO12,800, which is perfectly acceptable given the alternative is blurry photos.

I think the best spot is in the aisle, just don't go in front of the front row of guests. Ask if they have a spot picked out, it could be at the back, in which case you need to rent a 70-200 F2.8 IS.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 01, 2010 19:11 |  #3

I had the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 and found I could hand hold it most of the time at ISO1600, due to it's short FL. You might need ISO3200, but the fact that they are such wide lenses means you can hold them in really low light with no flash.

You should be fine with the 24-70 for 80% (or more) of the shots. Wide open at f/2.8 you should be good somewhere between ISO800 to ISO3200 depending how dim the church is.

Church lighting sucks, make sure you shoot in RAW(!) and it's not a bad idea to do a custom white balance with a grey card to get most accurate colors you can (makes editing much easier!)

Scout out the locations where they would like to have pics beforehand, perhaps go to the wedding rehearsal to get a practice run (but keep in mind the light may change from the time of day). Bring lots of CF cards and have extra batteries (although a gripped 7D with 2 batts should be more then sufficient). Make sure you eat enough food so that you are not hungry, bring some Tylenol incase you get a headache or something, and get lots of rest the night before.

Good luck, weddings are fun and the fact that you know the people getting married will make the job easier. :)

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 01, 2010 19:18 |  #4

Here's my testing of shutter speeds I can hand hold to. Everyone will be different. I can do about average, 1/20th for a 20mm lens, and I can manage 1/30th with most IS/VR lenses.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 02, 2010 07:05 |  #5

The use of tripods during the ceremony had once been common. That has gone away since typically, we're allowed more lattitude to move around now then "back in the day". But if you have to be in one spot anyway, consider using a tripod and the dark and slow shutter speeds become much less of an issue. Of course, it would be good if you could rent or borrow a longer lens; maybe something in the 200mm range. If not, the 24-70 on your crop body will have to do.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,886 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 02, 2010 07:49 |  #6

I'm going to echo Robert on his tripod suggestion.

I still do church weddings and other social events where there are "movement restrictions," so I get around this by going up in the balcony or to the back of the room. There I'll set up a long lens on my second body which will be tripd mounted. My longest lens (on FF) is the 70-200 f/2.8 IS and mounting this on a tripod has enabled me to get a lot of nice shots from unique angles and viewpoints. Don't underate the tripod - it still has many uses, even in the digital world.

I would not recommend buying a longs lens for the event but I'd certainly consider renting one. You're very well set on the wide angle end for group shots and should be able to pull those off quite well WITH flash, once the ceremony is over. That's also very generous of you to give the images as a gift given your relationship, and the level of your expertise. I assume you will be providing her a disk of high rez images. Good luck and let us know how it goes. - Stu

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board
Donate to POTN here

jerrybsmith
299 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 02, 2010 11:57 |  #7

The bride should understand that movement restriction will limit the variety of shots taken. You need to focus on getting the few you can done well. Your best shots will be bridal party, bride and bride and dad about to enter from the back. You might be allowed to use a flash at this time so check with the church beforehand. If you can't, use the higher ISO settings others have mentioned. Use your 10-22 to get the bride and father as they enter and then from behind as they go down the isle. Use the 24-70 and the 10-22 to get full shots of the ceremony. Rent a 70-200 to get the ring exchange and the kiss by positioning yourself in the center isle. Switch back to the 24-70 and set your focus to A-Servo to get the couple coming back down the isle to avoid blur. Shoot everything manual, f-stop at 2.8 - 4.0 and keep your shutter above 100. Have a plan of must have shots you can reasonably get and what lens and camera settings you need to do it and you should be fine.

www.jerrybsmith.com (external link)

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 02, 2010 14:59 |  #8

If you get to choose your spot can you stand over the vicars shoulder to get a clear shot of everyone walking down the isle and you have a clear shot of everything the B&G will be doing.

karobinson
Goldmember
1,230 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 02, 2010 15:05 |  #9

Can you go in the church a few days (at least) early and try things out? Take a friend who can stand in the appropriate areas so you can focus in on someone...including verious crowd shots. Do make sure you are open and honest with your bride as to what you can and cannot do. My first wedding was just this situation and in the end, was one of my favorite shoots. Take a list of what "shots" the bride really wants....

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

nub4sh
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 04, 2010 05:14 |  #10

Wow. Thanks for the inputs guys.

Yes, i would likely to use a tripod inside the church during the ceremony.

Anyway, I spoke to my friend again (the bride), she said she wants me to shoot while they're getting ready. It must be while shes putting on make up and all. Then i go to another location which ill shoot again the groom getting ready. I have some ideas how to do this but can i ask you guys on some more ideas so that i can have a decent shoots with this kind of event?

5D Mark 3 | 7D + gripped | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II | Canon 35 f1.4L | Canon 50 f1.8 II

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,886 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 04, 2010 05:41 |  #11

nub4sh wrote in post #11222484 (external link)
Wow. Thanks for the inputs guys.

Yes, i would likely to use a tripod inside the church during the ceremony.

Anyway, I spoke to my friend again (the bride), she said she wants me to shoot while they're getting ready. It must be while shes putting on make up and all. Then i go to another location which ill shoot again the groom getting ready. I have some ideas how to do this but can i ask you guys on some more ideas so that i can have a decent shoots with this kind of event?

At the bride's preparation location you will likely have the option of using a flash if the ambient is poor. Focus in on details - sleeves and backs of dresses being buttoned, hair being made up, jewelry being put on, perhaps shows...... if there is a nearby window you can get some wonderful soft natural light portrait shots.... things like that.

If you're in a small prep area where you can use flash, you can bounce it behind you, to the side, top - all of these will give you interesting and pleasant, "larger" light sources that will impart some nice even lighting.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links

1,448 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.