Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 13:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Freelance Building Photography

Architective
183 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 03, 2010 13:44 |  #1

As I develop my business strategy, I'm finding that it is dynamic and every situation can be handled a little bit differently. Typically for my clients, they ask me to shoot a building and I will either provide them a proposal including a certain amount of pictures and a plus picture fee, or shoot it and send them a bill (ones I've done work with before).

I approached a Contractor, which I've had a good working relationship with for some time, and asked him if I could shoot his new building (a university basketball stadium), which is a very high profile project for the town. I told him that I would not charge him for the shoot, but rather share the contact sheet with him once it was complete and he'd be able to purchase if he wanted. In doing this, its got several benefits for me - 1) Its a high profile project that would be great for my credentials/portfolio, 2) experience on this scale of project and 3) to sell him images, of course.

He's told me that I'll have full access, and I can coordinate with him to turn all the lights on, move construction trucks, etc. The grand opening and first game is tonight, so it's now open to the public.

Are there any pitfalls or things that I should be aware of in doing it this way? Once I present the contact sheet to him, he may buy some images, but if he does not, I can solicit these images to the architect, material suppliers, university, etc.

One other question, which I asked a similar one in another thread - once I sell the images to Client A, should they be off the market, or is it allowable to sell the rights to same ones to Client B? Any resources on this / books that I need to know about?

Thank you!
mattO

mattophoto.net

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 04, 2010 11:43 |  #2

Are there any pitfalls or things that I should be aware of in doing it this way?

In this case, since you've "had a good working relationship with for some time," & you clearly communicated who gets what out of it, I don't see a problem.

once I sell the images to Client A, should they be off the market, or is it allowable to sell the rights to same ones to Client B?

It depends on what rights you sold client A with them.
ASMP Terms and Conditions (external link)

More from copyright law from ASMP, EP, and APA.
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?p=2966371

Ten Copyright Myths That Can Hurt You (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

steelsun
66 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 04, 2010 22:34 |  #3

Biggest problem you might get into though is the copyright of the building itself. Some architects / owners vigorously protect the buildings copyrighted appearance (i.e. The "Hollywood" sign, various buildings in Chicago, etc). Since the building in fact is the main subject of the image, that would fall under the aegis of their right to protect their copyright. It's a weird law and field.

melna8
40 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 09, 2010 14:49 |  #4

What if he gets a building release signed?

G E A R - | Canon 50D | Canon 17-40mm F/4L |

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,024 views & 0 likes for this thread
Freelance Building Photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.