Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 19:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bridge Cache-fast, Lightroom Cache-Sloooooow

bohdank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2010 21:42 |  #16

There is no smaller size I can choose. It took the better part of one day to render all my images. I'm not sure I want to purge the cash and start, again. I can create another cache though, and try that.

They are named Cache0000000001.dat and not .jpg

On another note. If I clicked on a thumbnail it created a file in the new Cache, 4 meg. If I selected Library/ Preview, Render Standard from the drop down menu it checked all the images and didn't do anything, so I'm not sure what the relationship is between the Library and the Cache.

I think the jpg's are in the Catalog and not the Cache. Looking the Catalog, there are thusands and thousands of Folder with, like 2 files in each one. This is more than likely the problem. The organization is ridiculous.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2010 22:12 |  #17

Hey, I have an interesting observation -- I checked out my Camera Raw cache folder and it also had a bunch of .dat files, and they were large, but get this -- when I checked the file type they said it was a DVD Movie!!

Now, guys, do you want to check yours? And, if we all have .dat files, anyone have a clue what they really are? I double-clicked one and it tried to open a DVD player but then had a bad file type error (and then the player opened by itself).

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2010 22:19 |  #18

So, I just googled "lightroom camera raw cache" and came up with some interesting looking stuff you guys might want to check out -- it looks like a lot of info:

http://www.google.com …pbx=1&fp=eeb057​46d54f919c (external link)

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

bohdank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2010 22:21 |  #19

This explains what the Cache is....

http://lightroom-blog.com/2010/04/camer​a-raw-cache.html (external link)

oops... didn't see your post :-)

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 03, 2010 22:21 |  #20

dat can be a generic data extension, it stands for "data". I bet it's just generic image data stored in there.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2010 22:30 |  #21

Yeah Tim I figure you're right!

My .dat files are all around 8 Mb. I read a discussion by Jeff Schewe about the ACR cache and he mentioned that the files will sizeable. These evidently aren't mini-previews -- they are more the size of a Large Fine jpeg or something.

Tony

bohdank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2010 22:38 |  #22

The Cache files are used in the Develop Module and the Catalog files are the thumbnails for the Grid view. So, no way to speed this up, from my current settings, it seems. I still don't understand how they organized Bridge to be orders of magnitude faster.

I did tell it to reorganize and that seemed to help.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2010 22:57 |  #23

Bohdan, remember that Bridge does not load the equivalent of data that LR does in the develop module. And, when you open a file in Camera Raw from Bridge it takes a bit as well -- so that would be more like what you get when you go to an image in the Develop module.

In the blog you linked to you might want to read down the comments section -- in one response Sean (the author) mentions that when he tested what was going on, he purged the cache (using the Lightroom tool) and then he chose a folder, selected the files and then performed a Render 1:1 Previews. Then he checked the Camera Raw cache folder and found new .dat files in there, meaning that the 1:1 Preview rendering evidently puts a "beginning" file in there so that when you go to the Develop module it is ready to be loaded. If you don't have a 1:1 preview, it has to generate that when you select it in Develop. This would show why it can be a benefit to, when you first load a shoot, select all and do a 1:1 Preview rendering (take a break:)). That way in Develop the "base" image will be ready to load.

Tony

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 04, 2010 00:27 |  #24

The way I have Bridge/ACR set up it creates two levels of jpeg, one tens of kb, one hundreds of kb, usually 100-400. I don't let it create full sized previews as it doesn't seem to help. There's also a database in there.

The ACR cache is separate. It has lots of 4MB dat files, which will be previews at the right size for my PC.

My trial version of Lightroom's set to the highest level of previews. There are files between 50kb and 5MB, so much bigger than LR. That would probably make it slower.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 04, 2010 00:56 |  #25

tim wrote in post #11221724 (external link)
The way I have Bridge/ACR set up it creates two levels of jpeg, one tens of kb, one hundreds of kb, usually 100-400. I don't let it create full sized previews as it doesn't seem to help. There's also a database in there.

The ACR cache is separate. It has lots of 4MB dat files, which will be previews at the right size for my PC.

My trial version of Lightroom's set to the highest level of previews. There are files between 50kb and 5MB, so much bigger than LR. That would probably make it slower.

Well, try different settings!

And then, here's a section from Victoria's site about speeding things up:

http://www.lightroomqu​een.com …room-the-best-speed-tips/ (external link)

Tony

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 04, 2010 01:25 |  #26

I don't use Lightroom, I don't like it, I was just giving it a go.

bohdank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 04, 2010 07:15 |  #27

tonylong wrote in post #11221829 (external link)
Well, try different settings!

And then, here's a section from Victoria's site about speeding things up:

http://www.lightroomqu​een.com …room-the-best-speed-tips/ (external link)

I've done all that stuff. I'm still complaining about Library and thumbnails :-)

Develop is actually fast rendering the first time.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 04, 2010 10:38 |  #28

I think that if you put your Lightroom cache on one of your internal hard drives you will see a significant increase in speed. You can put both the Lightroom and Bridge caches anywhere you choose ... I have mine on a dedicated hard drive along with my Photoshop scratch disk and it just flies. I really don't see the utility in putting your caches on a Drobo.

There also seems to be some misunderstanding about the caches. Bridge creates two caches; its own and a Camera Raw cache. The Camera Raw cache is also shared by Lightroom if its installed.
Just from a performance standpoint it makes sense to have these caches on an internal drive rather than an external one.

Gear List

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 04, 2010 11:22 |  #29

bohdank wrote in post #11222813 (external link)
I've done all that stuff. I'm still complaining about Library and thumbnails :-)

Develop is actually fast rendering the first time.

So, the Library and thumbnails from what I see don't use the Camera Raw cache, just the previews stored in your normal LR folder unless you create 1:1 previews or until you move to the Develop module -- that's what I'm seeing.

So if your problem is in normal Library browsing -- are you saying it takes a long time to just go from one shot to the other in the Library, or for shortcuts to be generated when you open a folder, or...? Is Lightroom the only app that seems to go slowly? I know that occasionally I've had background processes that have slowed me down. I don't know why the Library module should go inordinately slow since it doesn't have to load all the development/1:1 data although the up-to-date previews would load the metadata.

Tony

bohdank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 04, 2010 11:53 |  #30

It's when I click on a folder in the library and the grid starts to fill..... it can be agonizinlgy slow (I have already generated the previews at medium Q, 1440 pixels).

When it does show the thumbnail(s), they are low res versions, at first, and a second pass at the thumbnail(s) takes place, loading the higher quality version. I may have to scroll down to check, let's say, the 154th thumbnail but I am just sitting there as it loads the crap thumbnails first....extrememly slowly, imo, then the high res.

I understand that it would be better to place the caches/libraries on the fastest access drive(s) I have BUT Bridge is also using the same cache and it loads virtually instantly. I would like to keep them on the Drobo for the redundency it offers, even though I am running RAID1 on my internal drives. I expect to be un-raiding my data disk after having bought the Drobo. I don;t want to be in a position to lose the caches due to a disk failure and then spending the better part of entire day rebuilding them.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,692 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bridge Cache-fast, Lightroom Cache-Sloooooow
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.