Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 03:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D is going back to Canon

jaa
106 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 04, 2010 03:37 |  #1

I bought my 7D back in December last year. I had problems with the AF and was told (like most people get told) that it was user error. Ignoring the fact that I read manuals on nearly any new piece of equipment I buy and that I'm not exactly a newbie when it comes to DSLRs, I gave the camera the benefit of the doubt.

I watched all three of those hour long lecture videos, the short videos on Canon's site and whenever time permitted, I would go out and shoot in varying conditions utilising as many AF modes as I could.

The fact is, after nearly a year with the 7D, I have no confidence in it. I can accept not getting a shot if my shutter is too low or I'm not holding the camera steady or any other error caused by me. But when conditions are perfect and I still get a shot that's out of focus, well, it's hard to keep blaming myself. I'm talking even something as simple as a portrait using a tripod. The only way I know I'll get the shot in focus is if I shoot in Live View which, as you can appreciate, isn't always ideal.

I spoke with Canon Australia today about the issues I've been having. As I was describing the arbitrary out of focus shots, he stopped me and implied that he has dealt with this issue before. He went on to say that, "if you were happy with the shots you were getting on your 400D and your using the same set of lenses, then it sounds like the body is definitely the culprit." I was instructed to bring in the body with all my lenses to the service centre tomorrow for them to investigate. I'm not entirely sure what to expect as I've never had to take a camera back before.

I guess the reason for this thread is to let 7D owners know, that yes, the AF is a different beast on the 7D and it does take some getting use to. But that sometimes, the problem really is with the camera.

I still love the 7D; the features are what made me choose it the begin with. I just can't wait to start shooting with confidence again.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 35mm ƒ/1.4L II | Canon 24-70mm ƒ/4L IS | Canon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II | Canon 100mm ƒ/2.8L Macro IS | Canon 600EX-RT | Canon 430EX III-RT

sponsored links
Staszek
Goldmember
3,605 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 04, 2010 03:45 |  #2

Interesting. The 7D AF is a new beast to everything but the 1D series, but I found the learning curve to be relatively short. A week a shooting and I had a good idea on how to use the AF. A few gigs and I have a good understanding on how to set up the AF before events. IMO, certain events call for different types of AF selection, tracking speed, etc.

Hope everything works out with your 7D.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

jb1911
492 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 04, 2010 07:22 |  #3

Good luck with your 7D. I guess I was lucky, I had no problems with focus from day one, camera's fault or mine. Let us know how it turns out.

7D/BG-E7 - 580EXII - EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - in a Domke F-2RW
http://www.banpuppymil​ls.com/ (external link)
I like to keep a bottle of liquor handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. ~ W C Fields ~

Larry ­ Weinman
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 04, 2010 07:56 |  #4

My first 7D was one of the first ones sold in the U.S.A and it had serious focus problems. After four trips to Canon service in New Jersey and having to speak with many people on the phone they replaced it with a new one which worked flawlessly from day one. There are some bad ones out there. Keep at it until you get some satisfaction from Canon. The mistake I made was not sending the camera back right away.Instead, I thought it was something I was doing wrong and I wound up having to supply proof to Canon that it was the body. That took some doing but in the end I was satisfied. This incident was as close as I ever came to switching to Nikon.

7D Mark II 6D 100mm f 2.8 macro 180mm f 3.5 macro, MP-E-65 300mm f 2.8 500mm f4 Tokina 10-17mm fisheye 10-22mm 17-55mm 24-105mm 70-300mm 70-200 f 2.8 Mk II 100-400mm Mk II 1.4 TCIII 2X TCIII 580EX II 430 EX II MT 24 EX Sigma 150-600

jaa
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 05, 2010 01:42 |  #5

Well, that was painless.

Went in with all my gear, they suggested I just leave the camera body for testing/calibration first as it seems that in all likelihood it's the body causing issues. It'll take between 7-10 days before I can pick it up. If I'm still unhappy, I'm to bring back the gear with all my lenses and sample images. So far, very impressed with the service I've received.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 35mm ƒ/1.4L II | Canon 24-70mm ƒ/4L IS | Canon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II | Canon 100mm ƒ/2.8L Macro IS | Canon 600EX-RT | Canon 430EX III-RT

RL.
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 05, 2010 02:01 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

if one knows how to use af on any slr then one should be able to do it on a 7d...is prob a defective body

Canon > Nikon

Staszek
Goldmember
3,605 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 05, 2010 02:37 |  #7

RL. wrote in post #11228381 (external link)
if one knows how to use af on any slr then one should be able to do it on a 7d...is prob a defective body

The 7D's AF is a whole new ball game compared to Rebel and xxD models.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

Touche
20 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 05, 2010 04:25 as a reply to  @ Staszek's post |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

To me, the often mentioned "learning curving" thing is ridiculous.

If you focus on something, the camera doesn't do what it's supposed to, the camera is at fault. I've played with many cameras from Canon, Nikon, and Sony, never had a problem with focus. It's a simple thing as it should be.

If a car is veering to the left and you have to turn the steering wheel to the right to compensate it in order to go straight, get the car repaired/adjusted, instead of accepting it as "learning curve", no, not on basic things like that.

Best of luck in getting it repaired.

agb
160 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 05, 2010 04:57 |  #9

I emailed Canon in Australia before I bought the 7D and they replied that there were no known focus issues with the 7D. That people spend too much time on the internet looking for problems or words to that effect.

HeleneD
Goldmember
1,822 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 05, 2010 08:46 |  #10

I just picked up a 7D and I don't get the learning curve comments either. Yes, you need to understand the camera but I found it pretty straight forward.

Good luck fixing your camera. Sounds like you got a bad copy.

Canon 5D3
35L, 85L, 24-70L, 70-200L
FACEBOOK (external link)
flickr (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 05, 2010 09:09 |  #11

Touche wrote in post #11228710 (external link)
To me, the often mentioned "learning curving" thing is ridiculous.

If you focus on something, the camera doesn't do what it's supposed to, the camera is at fault. I've played with many cameras from Canon, Nikon, and Sony, never had a problem with focus. It's a simple thing as it should be.

If a car is veering to the left and you have to turn the steering wheel to the right to compensate it in order to go straight, get the car repaired/adjusted, instead of accepting it as "learning curve", no, not on basic things like that.

Best of luck in getting it repaired.

Do you own a 7D? Have you read many of the 7D issue threads? To say there is no learning curve with a new piece of equipment is misguided. Anything new to a user, whether a camera, car, cell phone, etc. has a certain learning curve. There are cases of legitimate issues with the 7D and I'm not disputing that. However, there are many, many threads about focus issues where the user was using a focus mode (Zone or Auto) that was incorrect for what they were wanting to do. When you use a focus mode that is designed to focus on the closest subject and then complain when it does so shows that there is some learning to be done. Other issues are related to photography in general and not specific to the 7D itself, shooting 1/30th at 200mm or wide open with a fast lens is not going to produce the sharpest results. There has to be a certain amount of knowledge involved to get a camera, any camera, to produce good results beyond just picking it up and pushing a button. I don't think the 7D has some ridiculous learning curve but there are some new features that need to be understood.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

Touche
20 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 05, 2010 13:46 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

yourdoinitwrong wrote in post #11229494 (external link)
Do you own a 7D? Have you read many of the 7D issue threads? To say there is no learning curve with a new piece of equipment is misguided. Anything new to a user, whether a camera, car, cell phone, etc. has a certain learning curve. There are cases of legitimate issues with the 7D and I'm not disputing that. However, there are many, many threads about focus issues where the user was using a focus mode (Zone or Auto) that was incorrect for what they were wanting to do. When you use a focus mode that is designed to focus on the closest subject and then complain when it does so shows that there is some learning to be done. Other issues are related to photography in general and not specific to the 7D itself, shooting 1/30th at 200mm or wide open with a fast lens is not going to produce the sharpest results. There has to be a certain amount of knowledge involved to get a camera, any camera, to produce good results beyond just picking it up and pushing a button. I don't think the 7D has some ridiculous learning curve but there are some new features that need to be understood.

I don't own 7D, and I don't have to. Your examples are not particular to 7D at all, the same newbie will face the same issue with other cameras too. We are talking about users with at least some basic knowledge, and read some the manual already.

Yes, it takes time to master every single function of a camera, but for a basic yet critical operation such as focusing, there shouldn't be a learning curve. If the focus does not function as it should be, then the camera needs to be repaired/adjusted. Simple things should be simple, that's my point.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,424 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 05, 2010 13:50 |  #13

RL. wrote in post #11228381 (external link)

Over 30 years of shooting Canon SLR bodies and the 7D was the first since going to the EOS line where I had to take some time to retrain myself. Yeah there are some bodies out there that may need a checkup, but I'd be willing to bet there are more users that need some work ... even some of us who are experienced! :D

crimsonblack
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 05, 2010 13:59 |  #14

harcosparky wrote in post #11231269 (external link)
Over 30 years of shooting Canon SLR bodies and the 7D was the first since going to the EOS line where I had to take some time to retrain myself. Yeah there are some bodies out there that may need a checkup, but I'd be willing to bet there are more users that need some work ... even some of us who are experienced! :D

I agree completely. The 7D AF system is nothing like other cameras. Even a skilled photographer may need to get familiar and a bit of practice to get this system working they way the need it to. It's easy to do the landscapes and still work with basic setting. But to get the camera to perform correctly with any type of reall movement you need to practice it.

| 7D Gripped | 28-135 f/3.5-4.6 | 50 f/1.8 || --- Sony F717 digital (infrared) --- Bunch of Film Stuff:- | Nikon & Nikkormat | 50/28/70-150/400 | B & J 4x5 large format | Mamiya C220 |
BurntEffects.com (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,630 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 05, 2010 14:52 |  #15

Touche wrote in post #11231246 (external link)
I don't own 7D, and I don't have to. Your examples are not particular to 7D at all, the same newbie will face the same issue with other cameras too. We are talking about users with at least some basic knowledge, and read some the manual already.

Yes, it takes time to master every single function of a camera, but for a basic yet critical operation such as focusing, there shouldn't be a learning curve. If the focus does not function as it should be, then the camera needs to be repaired/adjusted. Simple things should be simple, that's my point.

Only if it was that simple.

Much of the confusion with many of the 7D focus issues arise because of the way the AF-points are displayed. The focus point rectangle shown on the VF is actually smaller than the actual AF sensor cross hair. So without knowing this fact... thinking you have the AF-point selected while it's actually larger and catches something else to focus on, it'll give you focus confirmation and you think (Aha! So Simple!). And when you upload the image onto the computer, you then utter:

"My camera is not focusing properly!"

Couple that with the fact that some of the AF modes are disabled out of the factory and you'll have to enable the features after reading the manual (Spot-AF and Single-point Expansion).

So yes... if you know how the 7D works, then the learning curve really isn't there... It makes perfect sense and you just need to know when to use which mode.

But if you don't know how the 7D works, not one to read manuals because you feel that your 5, 10, 15, 50 years of photography experience makes you a master of all camera equipment, then chances are... it's going to bite you in the ankles and make you tear your hair out.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links

6,368 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D is going back to Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.