Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 04 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 20:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

USPS Post man left lens in the rain. What to do?

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 04, 2010 20:54 |  #1

I purchased a lens from here. I ordered and paid through paypal gift. Now, today, was delivery day. I was expecting to come home to find a note to pick up the lens at the post office. Instead, I find the box on my door step in the poring rain. It has been raining all day. It was wet this morning when I left. Now, I found out that the seller did not include insurance on the package. I am not sure what to do. I have not opened the box as yet. I was hoping he had insurance. It has been 4 hrs since I have picked up the box from my door step, and the box is still very much wet.

I am lost now, because I know it is not the seller's fault for it being left in the rain, but it is not my fault either. It is the post office fault, but there is no insurance. What should I do?

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tnguyen600
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 04, 2010 20:56 |  #2

Why don't you just open the box...you never know.

Then we'll go from there. =]

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 04, 2010 21:00 |  #3

I dont want to open the box yet, and its "accepting" damaged product.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,983 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Nov 04, 2010 21:02 as a reply to  @ tnguyen600's post |  #4

A. It might not be soaked through.
B. I always put such things in a plastic bag or tightly bubblewrap them to prevent abrasion in the box--that seller might have done the same thing.
C. The seller might have inner-boxed it in the original box, including the original Styrofoam container, which would protect it from the rain.
D. Most lenses can shed quite a bit of water.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,983 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Nov 04, 2010 21:02 |  #5

professorman wrote in post #11226947 (external link)
I dont want to open the box yet, and its "accepting" damaged product.

If you've made up your mind, why are you asking us? Contact UPS.

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,323 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 04, 2010 21:06 |  #6

FWIW I would open the package and you'll probably find it wrapped in bubble wrap nice and dry and all of this worrying is for nothing.

EDIT: Then again, it may be soaked because you let it sit all day in a wet box allowing the humidity to permeate into everything. Ah, paranoia, it will destroy ya! OPEN THE BOX. <<Damned kids>>

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 04, 2010 21:11 |  #7

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Pay Pal gift mistake. This is why I ONLy pay PAy Pal normal.

That being said, open the box ASAP. The longer it sits the more moisture that could damage the lens.

Let us know how it turns out.

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 04, 2010 21:36 |  #8

I asked him if he wrapped it in plastic, so I will see what he says.

kMayer
413 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 04, 2010 21:41 |  #9

man, i would be tearing that box open as soon as i saw it soaked in attempt to rescue the lens from getting wet lol.

just open the darn thing. longer you wait, the worse like people said.

jtack
416 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 04, 2010 21:49 |  #10

What's the other option...You don't open it up, refuse delivery, they come back and get it and ship it back to the original owner. I wonder what the USPS policy is on leaving packages where the weather can get to them.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 04, 2010 21:55 |  #11

Addicted2EOS wrote in post #11226993 (external link)
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Pay Pal gift mistake. ...

There were a few basic mistakes made in the course of this deal. How about a Sticky-Thread with buyer's and seller's checklists?

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

patrick835
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 04, 2010 21:56 |  #12

That was terrible. he could have left it inside the front porch.

1D mk II + sigma 10-22 + 100f/2.8 + 70-200/f4L + f/2.8L IS II+ tamron AF 2x + 430EX II
[COLOR=darkgreen] 2x Canon 30D + 2x BG-E2N + 18-55 kit + 50mm f/1.8 II + 85 f/1.8 + 100mm Macro + 70-200f/4L + 17-40f/4L + 430EX + 580 EX II + RRS L plate + Markin Q3 + Gitzo G2220
completely broke :lol:

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 04, 2010 22:03 |  #13

I don't really think you can refuse shipment now...it's been delivered. Whether you open the box or not, you can't say "I'm refusing this shipment" at this point.

When I last shipped a lens, it was wrapped in so much bubble tape and then put in a plastic bag, then surrounded by more bubble tape. I think you probably could have dropped in a lake (well maybe that's exaggerating a little bit).

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

djvkool
461 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 04, 2010 22:42 |  #14

Any person with common sense would've wrapped the lens in bubble wrap or plastic bag of some type, so open the box already :)

7D | 100 2.8L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS | 24-70 2.8L | 50 1.4 | Tam 18-270mm | Tam 17-50 2.8 | Sig 30 1.4 |

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 04, 2010 22:59 |  #15

He only used packaging peanuts. I opened it up. I do not see any visible water on the lens itself. It feels very cold. I was about to give it the thumbs up, when I noticed that there was significant wet spot inside the lens hood, about 2" long water mark.

Should I put the lens in rice? Like this (external link)?
I would worry about the rice dust getting down into the zoom ring and stuff.

sponsored links

4,545 views & 0 likes for this thread
USPS Post man left lens in the rain. What to do?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.