Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 22:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dave Ziser Lighting System, is there a comparable but cheaper way?

Calindy
816 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 04, 2010 22:04 |  #1

I recently went the Dave Ziser's seminar "Captured by the Light." I love his lighting system, but the price is :shock:. Any ideas on something comparable, but cheaper? Here is his system: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …avid_Ziser_Make​_Your.html (external link)

Calindy
Photography is my Prozac!
Canon Digital EOS 7 D, Lenses: EF IS 100-400mm L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM , Tamron 18-270 mm, Canon EF 50 mm F/1:4 USM, Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8 ATX 116 Lens, 430EX Canon Flash, Canon G 10 , Blackrapid R-7 Strap

sponsored links
Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 04, 2010 22:19 |  #2

Depending on if you want the high speed recycle of the quantum turbo pack you could just get any cheaper manual flash like a vivitar 285 and a set of pocket wizards or cheaper ebay triggers and any number of diffusers.

Sto-Fin $9.15 http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …695-REG/Sto_Fen_OM_B.html (external link)
Vivitar 285 $89.95 http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …1-REG/Vivitar_233965.htm​l (external link)
2x Pocket Wizards $340 http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …II_Transceiver_​Radio.html (external link)
Total =$439.10

or

Elinchrom Ranger Quadra S which has more than twice the output $1494.90 http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Ranger_Quadra_H​ead_S.html (external link)

Don't get me wrong the Quantum makes really nice flashes but at that price and with the release of the Ranger Quadra which doesn't weigh much more.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

Calindy
THREAD ­ STARTER
816 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 04, 2010 23:24 |  #3

Thanks for suggestions!!

Calindy
Photography is my Prozac!
Canon Digital EOS 7 D, Lenses: EF IS 100-400mm L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM , Tamron 18-270 mm, Canon EF 50 mm F/1:4 USM, Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8 ATX 116 Lens, 430EX Canon Flash, Canon G 10 , Blackrapid R-7 Strap

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 05, 2010 01:15 |  #4

The QFlash, the way he is using it is a radio controlled off camera flash.
Just about anything will work.
The biggist consideration is the power it delivers for use with shoot through umbrellas etc.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 05, 2010 03:08 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Quantum is not a company i would invest money is, just a glance on their website screams stay away. Not to mention the various bugs they have had with their ttl compatibility. Which is the only thing that speaks in it's favour for those who dont want manual flash.

Regards
Paul L.

joe_it
251 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 05, 2010 06:32 |  #6

MR do little wrote in post #11228538 (external link)
Quantum is not a company i would invest money is, just a glance on their website screams stay away. Not to mention the various bugs they have had with their ttl compatibility. Which is the only thing that speaks in it's favour for those who dont want manual flash.

Really?? What about their site screams stay away? They have A+ customer service and offer cheap upgrades for existing customers. How many companies can say that?? Have you ever even owned one of their products? They have one of the best and most reliable solutions for wireless TTL and come highly recommended by numerous well known photographers.

Joe

1D MK IV | 1.4x II Extender | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L | METZ 58 AF-1 TTL
Hold still while I change my lens...

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 05, 2010 07:14 |  #7

I agree with Paul on this one. One of their core demographics are wedding photographers. Some like em, some hate em. I just don't see the need, especially now with the Quadra. It's more versatile, has a ranger of modifiers and if you look in the Elinchrom thread, you'll see how people are mounting it to camera brackets and walking around with it.

You can get a larger number of shots at the same power levels.... it's a win-win in my book. Unless you are really tied to TTL, which i never use.

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 05, 2010 08:00 |  #8

Yeah even without weighing in with my opinion on Quantum flashes I just think it is too expensive for $100 less you can get a 580exII with a quantum turbo pack and a set of pocketwizard Flex5's if you want TTL

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 05, 2010 08:34 |  #9

Why not a canon battery pack. -
Somewhere in here, I stumbled over someone who made there own external power source for canon lights.

The OP asked if there was less expensive route.

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 05, 2010 10:53 |  #10

What did you think of his version of the Westcott umbrellA- does it diffuse the light more than a normal umbrella or let more light through.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 05, 2010 11:01 |  #11

Personally, I don't have any concerns about Quantum, but I've never bought one of their flashes because it doesn't represent a good value for me. I get what I need (excpet for radio) with my pair of 580's and when I need more juice, I still make good use of a pair of old Sunpaks 544's.

I think you may be too equipment focused and not solutions focused. I've been to Ziser's events and I'm very familiar with what he does. There's nothing there that you can't reproduce with different equipment for much less cost. Don't worry about the gear, focus on how he creates and controls light. That's what his seminar is really about. Well, that and making too much money selling other people's stuff.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 05, 2010 12:01 |  #12

TopHatMoments wrote in post #11229330 (external link)
Why not a canon battery pack. -
Somewhere in here, I stumbled over someone who made there own external power source for canon lights.

The OP asked if there was less expensive route.

I listed it with the Quantum Turbo pack to be more of an apples for apples, while the canon pack is great for long shoots and not having to change batteries the turbo packs will fire at full power and come damn close to keeping up with the frame rate on a 1D Mk III

Website (external link)

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 07, 2010 02:01 as a reply to  @ Damian75's post |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

mumbles wrote in post #11229067 (external link)
especially now with the Quadra. It's more versatile, has a ranger of modifiers

OK, I laughed :-)

and if you look in the Elinchrom thread, you'll see how people are mounting it to camera brackets and walking around with it.

Yeah, the really really smart and talented ones :-)

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 07, 2010 02:39 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

joe_it wrote in post #11228948 (external link)
Really?? What about their site screams stay away?

The design, the colors, the fonts, the product codes.

They have A+ customer service and offer cheap upgrades for existing customers. How many companies can say that??

Excellent customer service i could say about a lot of companies i deal with, i know it's more rare in the states. As for cheap upgrades, well that's the least they can do while they let their user base beta test for the next firmware.

Have you ever even owned one of their products?

Now your just being ignorant, read my post and you have your answer.

They have one of the best and most reliable solutions for wireless TTL and come highly recommended by numerous well known photographers.

Joe

Can you say Trio ?

Its a small company with a user base mainly located in the US. Some people seems to think they are the hottest thing since sliced bread just because they where innovative once upon a time.

Regards
Paul L.

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 07, 2010 08:12 |  #15

Okay I'm asking again because I really want to know. Half of that system he uses is that umbrella, al umbrellas are not alike, some not even close. Westcott makes his and I'm under the impression that it is indifferent fabric which is not as dense as the standard double fold Westcott umbrella which is my favorite shoot through for speedlights. But chatting with a Westcott rep at an event here last summer , he mentioned it was more dense, which I would not be interested in- which is it? His umbrella costs about twice as much as the standard Westcot's so I'd like to know more before I but-to-try with the possibility of it ending up in the closet with about ten other umbrellas I don't use. And yes I really do like the light from that cheap strobist Westcott double fold umbrella when using it as a shoot through

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

sponsored links

6,614 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dave Ziser Lighting System, is there a comparable but cheaper way?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.