Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 22:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dave Ziser Lighting System, is there a comparable but cheaper way?

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 08, 2010 12:07 |  #31

When he is mobile he uses mostly speeds, unless it's a studio setting.

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

sponsored links
symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 08, 2010 12:08 |  #32

ya, most of his recent stuff has been with a Quadra. ;)

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 08, 2010 12:10 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

TopHatMoments wrote in post #11247046 (external link)
When he is mobile he uses mostly speeds, unless it's a studio setting.

As i said you might wanna read up on him, youtube isnt the only source you know.

When he is mobile ? as is walking ? Riding a bike ? Climbing the empire state building ?

What defines a studio setting ?

When your at it, learn to spell Nikon. :lol:

Regards
Paul L.

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 08, 2010 12:52 |  #34

Noink works fine for me, there great door stops.*
For someone who proclaims to be all knowledge, you ask a lot of silly questions.
Now I know you don't believe all you read. Beside when you can go to an event and talk to, why read?

You see what I mean, fight ya tooth and nail over there beloved gear, at the drop of text

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Still does little, to answer the OP's question.

Ya have fun now ya here! It's far to violently texted for me.
Sadly you won't catch on, to the dying text.
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 08, 2010 13:03 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

For someone who try to come off all high and might and agnostic on brands and gear, the dig at Nikon makes you lose face pretty fast.

Your first claim made it sound like Joe mostly uses speedlights regardless of what he is shooting. There is not secret that Joe is a Nikon CLS preacher, still dosen't mean he uses them for every shoot on location.

As mumbles said Joe has been working quite a bit with the Elinchrom Quadra lately, that if you are to belive what he is writing and the video he has been doing.

TopHatMoments wrote in post #11246933 (external link)
I've been reading here for awhile and sometime I can't help but wonder.

I wouldn't use that, or my gear is far superior to your gear, heck if that's the case don't tell us show us.

Now i haven't seen a single image from you, so why don't you show everyone how you get by with your Mcgyver approach ?

Regards
Paul L.

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 09, 2010 11:00 |  #36

Mr Joe (numbnuts) has a regular blog and I'm on his email list, the same with David Hobby's Strobist site and both are very interesting and informative.

Joe is a top shooter, and does workshops all the time, all over the world, working with his Nikon speedlights as well as Elinchrom Rangers and Quadra's. At first he was reluctant regarding the Quadras but I see that he's getting used to them.

He also uses a lot of grip gear sometimes, he's a lighting machine and I love him, he's a good read and a great teacher.

If you search about Annie L a lot, you'll find wider shots of some of her sets and to say she uses a Softlighter II is selling it short. That is the floating key for the portrait shots but she also uses large panels of diffusion with softlight shooting through for the overall of the set. Interesting enough in the video of her shooting the head of Profoto, the actual finished photo for the add that I saw had the key light coming from the opposite side of his face than what was happening in the video, at least that's what I remember.

I think if you find a light/system that you feel good about, you can really learn to use it well no matter what the source.

I've been ordering all kinds of books on photography from my cities library system, just to browse. I keep coming across many photograhers from the past who did really beautiful work, fashion and portraits, who used only one or two lights. Granted they were shooting black and white so they could use ambient light without worrying about the color temp. But looking at the photos of so many, I who came from shooting with truckloads of hot lights for shooting commercials for so many years have found myself trying to mostly focus on the key light and adjusting to make that work, sometimes I add a second light or 3 but mostly I find myself intrigued by the simplicity of a single source and a silver fill.

Now this is limiting in a commercial sense but using the Mola Beauty dishes has me really fascinated with the simplicity concept. Either way the most important thing is just to make the photograph wonderful so limitations are simply boundaries to push your visual senses I think.

For me I was just asking on his umbrella to see if it was different and I'll stick with my current Westcott as I've gotten quite used to it. I sold my second 580EXII hardly used, to put the money into the Molas and Octabank but if I do find myself doing more than single OCF with a speedlight then I'll buy something other than the expensive Canon units as I don't use their wireless system, I tried many times and just got frustrated, have considered a longer custom ETTL cord though for my one OCF.

Dave Ziser does a great job with weddings, I'm not into that but I study everything, his system works for him and I'm sure that if you do the same that you can make it work for you as well. Sometimes it's just that - having a system and knowing it extremely well - that leaves you free to be more creative with your images instead of trying to fuss with the lighting gear.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

Calindy
THREAD ­ STARTER
816 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 18, 2010 00:03 |  #37

I have been out for a family emergency, and then got sick, got back online 2 days ago, so I am just now reading thru all the posts. I want to thank everyone for the suggestions, they gave me a lot to think about...and read about! Glad this subject brought so much discussion!!

Calindy
Photography is my Prozac!
Canon Digital EOS 7 D, Lenses: EF IS 100-400mm L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM , Tamron 18-270 mm, Canon EF 50 mm F/1:4 USM, Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8 ATX 116 Lens, 430EX Canon Flash, Canon G 10 , Blackrapid R-7 Strap

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 18, 2010 23:38 |  #38

MR do little wrote in post #11247066 (external link)
When your at it, learn to spell Nikon. :lol:

"While you're at it", learn proper grammar. :lol: Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 19, 2010 00:31 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

williejr wrote in post #11310551 (external link)
"While you're at it", learn proper grammar. :lol: Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Yeah, bloody furriners.

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 19, 2010 01:05 |  #40
bannedPermanent ban

williejr wrote in post #11310551 (external link)

Little late to the party sonny, but boy am i glad you could make it...

Regards
Paul L.

wdwpsu
625 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 12, 2010 09:37 |  #41

wdwpsu wrote in post #11246644 (external link)
What is the Westcott Model Number that is the same as the Zumbrella? Also, David Ziser has been talking about a much larger shoot through he's "beta testing". My guess is that the non-branded version of that already exists through Westcott, too.

Bump.. My zumbrella was on a light stand that the wind took this weekend.
Wind: 1
Zumbrella: 0

Which model is the Westcott alternative?

Wedding and Event Photography ∙ Orlando, Florida ∙ DSWfoto.com (external link)
Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)

Benji
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2010 11:31 |  #42

MR do little wrote in post #11228538 (external link)
Quantum is not a company i would invest money is, just a glance on their website screams stay away. Not to mention the various bugs they have had with their ttl compatibility. Which is the only thing that speaks in it's favour for those who dont want manual flash.

I've had Quantum Radio Slaves for over 25 years and other than one time when I dropped one of the tramsmitters on a concrete floor they have never failed me. I have three of their receivers, three transmitters and their Turbo battery, all excellent products. In addition to the concrete episode with a transmitter I also dropped the battery and cracked the circuit board. Their repair service on both was simply outstanding. Another thing I like is the fact that their transmitters are about 1/4th the size of Pocket Wizards.

Benji

sponsored links

6,673 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dave Ziser Lighting System, is there a comparable but cheaper way?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.