Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 23:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5dmkII and super-takumar 50 1.4

dmstraton
557 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 04, 2010 23:29 |  #1

I know there is an adapter, but does anyone know if this combination works without issues? In particular the mirror hitting the lens - I know this was the issue with the 5d classic,.

dmstraton
5DmkII, Zeiss 21 f2.8, Zeiss 35 f2, Zeiss 50 f2 Makro-Planar, 580EXII, Voigtlander Bessa R2M, Voigtlander 35 f1.4 Nokton

sponsored links
WhyFi
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 05, 2010 06:04 |  #2

It can vary from body to body, from my understanding, with both the 5D and the MkII. On mine (SMC Taku & 5Dc), the mirror hangs up on the return at infinity. The smallest turn of focus will give the mirror enough room to clear - I would think that a <1mm shave would free things up.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

dmstraton
THREAD ­ STARTER
557 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 05, 2010 06:16 |  #3

Thx appreciated!

dmstraton
5DmkII, Zeiss 21 f2.8, Zeiss 35 f2, Zeiss 50 f2 Makro-Planar, 580EXII, Voigtlander Bessa R2M, Voigtlander 35 f1.4 Nokton

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 05, 2010 06:27 |  #4

Sure. Also, forgot to mention, that some seem to have better luck with different adapters. So, with all of the variables, it's a bit of a roll of the dice. Good thing it's not to expensive of a game to play!

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 05, 2010 06:29 as a reply to  @ dmstraton's post |  #5

As stated, it depends on the body. Too many variances from one 5D to the next, and the 5D2. May hang on one, but not on another. Mine hung on my 5D...I filed about a mm or so off the rear lens shround and all is good.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

dmstraton
THREAD ­ STARTER
557 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 05, 2010 06:32 |  #6

Particularly inexpensive because I found this lens in perfect shape in my dads stuff with three early 60s Nikkors.

dmstraton

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 05, 2010 06:54 as a reply to  @ dmstraton's post |  #7

Its a very good lens...if you don't plan on selling it, the filing should only take you a few minutes. Just be sure to completely cover the rear of the lens with blue painter's tape (the kind that doesn't leave any residue). When I filed mine, I put two layers of tape to protect the rear element. TBH, its goes so quickly that it'll probably take you longer to apply the tape than it will to file the shroud.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 05, 2010 06:59 |  #8

dmstraton wrote in post #11228949 (external link)
Particularly inexpensive because I found this lens in perfect shape in my dads stuff with three early 60s Nikkors.

The Nikkors adapt nicely - I have a 35/1.4 AI that I'm liking alot.

argyle wrote in post #11229009 (external link)
Its a very good lens...if you don't plan on selling it, the filing should only take you a few minutes. Just be sure to completely cover the rear of the lens with blue painter's tape (the kind that doesn't leave any residue). When I filed mine, I put two layers of tape to protect the rear element. TBH, its goes so quickly that it'll probably take you longer to apply the tape than it will to file the shroud.

I've got my tools ready, I'm just waiting on a Zeiss 50/1.7 - if I like the Taku more, I'll shave it. If not, I'll sell it.

timeasterday
960 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 05, 2010 08:36 |  #9

I had a Fotodiox adapter for that lens and had no issues with it hitting the mirror. Probably just luck and different tolerances that allowed it to work without modifications. It was a great lens on my 5DMKII while I owned it.

7DMKII, 5DMKII, Canon 17-40L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 70-200mmL f/2.8 II, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Zeiss ZE 50mm Makro Planar, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC, Canon 2X III TC, 580EX II x2, YN560, RF603's
My Smugmug (external link) | Flickr (external link)

dmstraton
THREAD ­ STARTER
557 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 05, 2010 15:40 |  #10

What about non-AI Nikkors? I have a Nikkor-Q 135 3.5 from the early 60s, a 28 and a 50mm too. Wouldn't mind goofing around with them.

dmstraton

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 05, 2010 17:19 |  #11

dmstraton wrote in post #11231874 (external link)
What about non-AI Nikkors? I have a Nikkor-Q 135 3.5 from the early 60s, a 28 and a 50mm too. Wouldn't mind goofing around with them.

Yup, same adapter for any of the the F mount MF Nikons. If the lens has the little metal tab, you'll have to break it off, though.

dmstraton
THREAD ­ STARTER
557 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 05, 2010 23:37 |  #12

Thanks, appreciate your help!

dmstraton

sponsored links

2,864 views & 0 likes for this thread
5dmkII and super-takumar 50 1.4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.