Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Nov 2010 (Saturday) 00:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe RGB vs. sRGB

TitusvilleSurfer
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 06, 2010 00:57 |  #1

If I understand correctly, sRGB is used for posting images on the internet. The colors and settings displayed on your monitor while editing transfer accordingly to the final image. Adobe RGB is used for printing, but I don't understand why. If I have my camera set to sRGB default, and later decide to print, am I at a disadvantage for not capturing the photograph in Adobe RGB initially or can I convert seamlessly between the two?
Really I'm just looking for clarification of when and why to use one or the other.

50D | G11 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 IS | 580exII

sponsored links
kevindar
Cream of the Crop
5,050 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 06, 2010 01:11 |  #2

sRGB, Adobe RGB, prophoto RGB. In the order have increasingly wider color gamut. to even see the color of the last one, you need to have a wide gamut monitor. for the later two to see, you also need programs which are color profile aware. once you convert from the latter two to sRGB , there will a slight loss of information in color, and possible subtle changes and shifts. it is not something that you get back but converting back. its like taking a raw file, converting to jpeg, and then converting back to a 16 bit tiff. you dont get more information by converting it to a format that has more information capacity.
most new browsers are actually color aware. I know firefox is, and I think IE 8 is. so if someone is using the correct web browser, they can see srgb and adobe rgb. of course, if their monitor is not properly calibrated who cares. If the program is not color aware, then all the colors will look wrong. it also depends on who your audience is. the improvements of aRGB are subtle so best case senario, your audience with a calibrated monitor and right program can see it.
Printing, most of the mass print places (costco, cvs, wall mart, and such) assume your image is in srgb and print in in srgb. some costco places actually allow you to use the printer ICC profile to see excatly how your image looks if you are using photoshop. If you are printing at home, with LR or photoshop, the most important thing is to have the correct printer/paper profile combination assigned, and you get most accurate representation of what you are seeing on your screen, as long as your screen is calibrated. Hope that helps. Others may come by who are better at explaining this.

My Flickr (external link)
Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205576

TitusvilleSurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 06, 2010 01:54 |  #3

That answers all of my questions. Thank you so much! :)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 06, 2010 03:54 |  #4

Kevindar gave good info! As to why you might be in aRGB, the most typical reason why some people do is because aRGB can handle colors with a bright/saturated tone that can go beyond the capabilities of sRGB to display and/or print (some printers and more "photo-friendly" monitors handle a wider gamut than sRGB) and because of this having images in aRGB can preserve this wider range.

But, think of sRGB as "safe" in that it will handle your colors in a way that your variety of displays and printers can handle, but if you are dealing with images with bright saturated colors, one of your first tasks will be to tone down those colors to "fit" in the sRGB space. This is most effectively done if you are shooting Raw (it preserves all data with no color space "compensation") and you do the tonal corrections in a Raw converter.

In any case, as you noted, outputting images for "public consumption" or, say, use by clients, family, friends and such, is best done in sRGB because most of the "public" will not be using color-managed software.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 06, 2010 10:13 |  #5

http://www.cambridgein​colour.com …als/sRGB-AdobeRGB1998.htm (external link)

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=296149

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,141 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 06, 2010 16:32 |  #6

To the OP:

You may find the list of threads at the bottom of this page informative.

Kirk
---

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 06, 2010 17:29 |  #7

kirkt wrote in post #11236791 (external link)
To the OP:

You may find the list of threads at the bottom of this page informative.

Heh! Sometimes I forget to glance down there before jumping in to respond to a question:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 06, 2010 20:21 |  #8

My general rule is if you're not confident in your color management knowledge and skills use sRgb for everything. Your images posted online and prints will all look good. Using wider color spaces has very few benefits for most people, and the complexity and risk of things going wrong is much higher outside of sRgb.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

TitusvilleSurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 06, 2010 22:10 as a reply to  @ ChasP505's post |  #9

Great information guys. Referring to "the list of threads at the bottom of this page", are you referencing this?

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=296149
This thread is a gem and I am so happy to have found it! I usually check the stickies but just didn't notice it on this particular puzzle. Thank you all!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 06, 2010 22:55 |  #10

Ah, you didn't realize...

If you look at the very bottom of this page you will see a section called "Similar Threads". Just look at what's listed there, and you may get a smile on your face:)!

Tony

TitusvilleSurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 06, 2010 23:28 |  #11

Oh wow...that seems pretty obvious hu? :) We all need the obvious pointed out from time to time I suppose. lol

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,635 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 07, 2010 08:15 |  #12

You should analyze the picture to determine if the highly saturated colors that AdobeRGB includes in their gamut, are present or not.

Because, in a group of 7 pictures I tested, all fitting into the sRGB gamut, each converted and saved in sRGB as well as AdobeRGB (both to 8-bit TIFF), the number of colors contained in the sRGB version was, on average, 38% higher than in the AdobeRGB counterpart.

In one sample, comprising mostly greens and very little else, the number of colors in sRGB was even 50% higher (green is the direction in which AdobeRGB expands most).

The "stretching" of the color points grid that the larger AdobeRGB gamut dictates, is obviously taking quite a toll.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,312 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 09, 2010 17:28 |  #13

some pertinent information

A very interesting dilemma about the issue of which color space...the ABSOLUTE NUMBER of hues (bits) is the same in both cases! Both color spaces map 16.7 million hues, but the range of hues is wider in the aRGB space. Let me state a counting analogy for those who do not grasp that concept...

Using a 4 bit numerical system, I can count from Zero to 15 in increments of one, or I can use the same four bits to count from Zero to 29 but leave some of the values out in between those extremes (e.g. instead of using the values of 8-4-2-1 mapped to the four bits, I map the values of 16-8-4-1 with the same four bits, so that I count as high as 29 in the sequence '0-1-4-5-8-9-12-13-16-17-20-21-24-25-28-29', rather than counting to 15 in the the sequence '0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15'

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TitusvilleSurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 14, 2010 02:47 |  #14

Thanks Wilt, that really helps me understand just what is going on here.

sponsored links

2,319 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe RGB vs. sRGB
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.