Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Nov 2010 (Saturday) 17:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is the final picture considered E-TTL when you add any manual flash to the scene?

slr_noob
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 06, 2010 17:46 |  #1

This is a debate that I have where the true answer may differ from person to person.

Let's see what do you guys think about the following statements. I split it into two sentences so it's easier to read:

-"If you have any number of E-TTL capable flashes (say two 580EX II) set and triggered in E-TTL (by say the on-board 7D wireless trigger) to take a picture of a subject, it's no doubt a E-TTL exposure at the end."

-"When you add any number and any form of user-controlled manual flash (for example, a 580EX II in manual mode or a studio flash), the final exposure is no longer considered E-TTL even though E-TTL can co-exist with the manually-controlled flash(es) in the final exposure regardless whether it's a supplement."

I'm going to ask that question for now just so everyone is on the same page. Let me know if you don't understand any of it.

Canon 7D
-580EX II
-24-105 f/4L IS USM (Now fixed!)

sponsored links
billybookcase
473 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 06, 2010 17:54 |  #2

i'm just going to speculate it would be awfully hard for that ETTL component to understand the full exposure given the fact that the preflash would not capture what's truly there.

I guess if you set everything accordingly (like FEC on the ETTL flash) then it could be partially ETTL?

Flickr (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Nov 06, 2010 18:06 |  #3

I don't understand how or why ettl should be used as an adjective.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 06, 2010 19:17 |  #4

That's like getting ready for a Jog, and putting only one sneaker on and leaving the other food bare.
Now comes the tricky part.. Which is going to work better, the bare foot or the one in the shoe?

If you run on the beach, the bare foot will work better. Run on a gym floor and a dry clean bare foot will grip better till it's start to sweat, acquire painful blisters and cloud your mind. The sneaker foot on the other hand is still ready to go. Run on asphalt and the bare foot is not going to do you any good.
Can you run like that? Sure. But why!?

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 06, 2010 19:36 |  #5

krb wrote in post #11237167 (external link)
I don't understand how or why ettl should be used as an adjective.

Quite so! E-TTL / E-TTL II and the recent version used in the 7D are a proprietary technology commonly referred to by the noun E-TTL.

The exposure it produces is in several forms. 1. Ambient and TTL for all flashes. 2. Ambient and TTL for A and B grouped flashes. 3. Ambient and TTL flashes, with other flashes adding un-evaluated light to the exposure.

Edit: Add 2A. Ambient and TTL for A and B, plus C evaluated as a compemsated value.

In my opinion, the only exposure that could be called "E-TTL" is one where the ambient is squelched to black. With flash, there are always at least two exposures.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

Hoppy1
841 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 06, 2010 19:41 |  #6

The camera's exposure calculation would be 100% E-TTL, but the actual exposure would be part E-TTL and part manual, and the two would co-exist indpendently.

The camera would set the E-TTL exposure from the pre-flash, with no knowledge or influence of the manual gun's contribution.

5D2, 17-40L, 50/1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L 4 IS, 580/270EX, Strato II/RF-602, Elinchroms

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 07, 2010 08:43 |  #7

Not sure why the OP considers it a debate and thinks that the true answer will very.
There is only one technically correct answer;
ETTL is a light metering technology for Canon Speedlites.
The light output for the Speedlites using ETTL as metering source is set by the firmware.
Any manual flash has to be metered by a hand held meter.
The two meter readings have to be synchronized to get a proper exposure.
What seems to lead to questions like this is a mistaken idea about when ETTL metering takes place. It takes place before the exposure. Then the firmware sets the power output for the exposure.

Its the camera doing with a reflected light meter what the photographer does with an incident light meter. But it only works with Speedlites that will emit the pre-flash for measurement.

Same with ambient. Meter the room light, set the F-stop and shutter speed for correct exposure. Now turn on a 1000W hot light and take the picture. Over exposure.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

slr_noob
THREAD ­ STARTER
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 07, 2010 22:46 |  #8

dmward wrote in post #11239984 (external link)
Not sure why the OP considers it a debate and thinks that the true answer will very.
There is only one technically correct answer;
ETTL is a light metering technology for Canon Speedlites.
The light output for the Speedlites using ETTL as metering source is set by the firmware.
Any manual flash has to be metered by a hand held meter.
The two meter readings have to be synchronized to get a proper exposure.
What seems to lead to questions like this is a mistaken idea about when ETTL metering takes place. It takes place before the exposure. Then the firmware sets the power output for the exposure.

Its the camera doing with a reflected light meter what the photographer does with an incident light meter. But it only works with Speedlites that will emit the pre-flash for measurement.

Same with ambient. Meter the room light, set the F-stop and shutter speed for correct exposure. Now turn on a 1000W hot light and take the picture. Over exposure.

You're so far the first person who comes close to where I'm getting to.

The point is not when E-TTL metering takes place. And you're right, the E-TTL metering takes place before the actual exposure begins after the shutter button is depressed. What I'm really looking for is how can I explain to someone who is so stubborn not to believe E-TTL is defeated and therefore out of the picture when anything E-TTL is not capable to use to judge flash power on E-TTL-enabled flash.

In otherwords: (X) number of E-TTL enabled flash = E-TTL exposure. (X) number of E-TTL enabled flash + any manual flash = no E-TTL exposure even though they can co-exist.

Canon 7D
-580EX II
-24-105 f/4L IS USM (Now fixed!)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 07, 2010 23:17 |  #9

I'm not sure what you are trying to illustrate.
When shooting ETTL, the camera/speedlite combination is controlling exposure for the ETTL speedlites.
If an external manual flash is part of the exposure it will deliver its light independent of the ETTL exposure calculation made by the camera metering system. i.e. Speedlite on camera set to ETTL, OCF set to 1/8 power on a light stand. When an image is made close to the OCF it over exposes, when an image is made farther away it under exposes compared to the ETTL Speedlite.
Thus, on a dance floor, when the subject is close to the OCF there is a strong back or side light. When the subject is farther away there is less back or side light. If far enough away there is no perceptible back or side light.

This is not magic. It is basic exposure control. The ONLY difference between ETTL and manual flash is the method of metering and when it occurs. EVERY thing else is how the photographer uses the information provided.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Nov 08, 2010 05:15 |  #10

slr_noob wrote in post #11244094 (external link)
In otherwords: (X) number of E-TTL enabled flash = E-TTL exposure. (X) number of E-TTL enabled flash + any manual flash = no E-TTL exposure even though they can co-exist.

I think you're trying to play with words in a way that makes no logical sense.

If ETTL flash systems were used to make an exposure, using an an additional manually-controlled flash does not negate the fact that the primary exposure was computed by the ETTL systems.

The fact is that if one uses a manually controlled flash in addition to an ETTL system, the location and adjustment of the manually controlled flash will determine whether or not the exposure will be acceptable. If the manually controlled flash is aimed at the primary subject, the subject will be overexposed. The reason is simple - the ETTL system knows nothing about the extra flash and cannot compensate for it. If, however, the manually controlled flash is used for lighting some distant background, things could be just fine.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links

1,909 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is the final picture considered E-TTL when you add any manual flash to the scene?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.