Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 06 Nov 2010 (Saturday) 18:12
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Would this hurt the industry more?"
Yes
50%
No
50%

28 voters, 28 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good idea/Bad idea?

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 06, 2010 18:12 |  #1

I was recently having a conversation with a fellow photographer/super business guy and we came up with the following idea: Create a business/website entirely different from our own and not affiliated in any way, and cater to low end/poor brides. We would charge much lower than the industry norm BUT we would only bring basic gear, and only shoot the ceremony and formals then burn a CD at the end of the day.

The mindset is that everybody wants good photos of their wedding, but not everybody can pay top end rates. I dont think that this would ruin the industry (anymore than it already is) because the people who would book us wouldn't have a chance with our regular rates anyways. As for the people who normally cater towards the lower price range.... I guess its time to step up your skills. What do you guys and gals think of this? It would make you a few extra easy bucks, and it would still be giving back to the low end bridal community.

Discuss.

sponsored links
Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 06, 2010 18:21 |  #2

It wouldn't work for me. I wouldn't be able to try less hard to get good shots. Unless you hire photographers that aren't as good as you to shoot then i don't see why you would bring worse gear or not try as hard. I wouldn't devalue myself, and what happens when your budget brides are coming before your higher end brides?

I don't think it would hurt e industry, but it just doesn't make any sense.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

omnom
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 06, 2010 18:35 |  #3

I never said I wouldnt try as hard :P I would shoot the ceremony and formals as usual, I just wouldnt cover the rest of the night. The price break comes from no editing, albums, prints etc. I would also bring my normal gear, just not all of it. I would leave the lighting bag at home along with a few other extras which arent necessary. Budget brides wouldnt come before regular ones, I look at it like if im shooting every saturday and 2 sundays, why not take 2 more sundays that will be shorter and less work? last minute/extra things, ya know?

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 06, 2010 18:51 |  #4

Why don't you just offer a formals/ceremony package and say they can only book it if the wedding is within a month and list the specifications under which you would shoot. Spreading out e marketing would seem to hurt both businesses.

Bryan

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 06, 2010 19:22 |  #5

To me, a 4 hour day might as well be an 8 hour day. By the time I deal with all the prep, the drive, the set up, etc., I don't have much of a day left. It's not like I'm going to go out and play golf that morning because I don't need to be on the job until 3. If it's really only going to be two hours and the ceremony is local, I guess maybe, but generally, if I'm going out to shoot, it's going to be a full day for a full day's rate.

I don't think it'd ruin the industry, I just can imagine wanting to do it.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 06, 2010 19:46 |  #6

Check craigslist much? There's already a bunch of low-rent togs doing this.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

Focused ­ Moments
282 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 07, 2010 01:07 |  #7

no hurt to the industry, hurt to the wallet ... and portfolio ... and ... nope i couldnt do it :)

kalahmarie
263 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 07, 2010 01:31 |  #8

See I think to most brides, the equipment doesn't matter. They are gonna look at the portfolio and if you have a good portfolio, then that's all that's going to matter to them. They also mostly just want a CD anyways, so that's not going to turn higher budget brides away. People go to you because of your portfolio and your style. It's going to definitely hurt the industry (and your wallet) because people will go with the lower priced one over professionals offering professional services. I hope this makes sense, and it's still only my opinion. I just think the better answer is to just have a package in your normal price range that only offers ceremony and formals. It wouldn't be worth it to me to only shoot that much (mostly because I live 2 hours from civilization so I have to drive forever to get to a wedding).

Kalah
Texassweetphoto.com
Facebook.com/texasswee​tphoto

alainvd
200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 07, 2010 07:43 |  #9

Don't see why you would devaluate yourself as your time is limited.
I'd better spend 5 saturdays with full price than 20 weddings at 1/4 of the price.
Time is limited so try to make the best out of it and your business will grow by itself.

5D² - 7D - 17-55 2.8 IS - 90 Macro - 35L - 85LII - 135L
Photographe de mariage en Belgique (external link)

pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 07, 2010 08:16 |  #10

I think the best thing to do for this crowd of people who can't afford a photographer... is to NOT give them the whole wedding. Take five very professional posed shots. There is no way that shooting the whole wedding and (please don't) giving them a CD is teaching people anything.

omnom
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 07, 2010 11:31 |  #11

Maybe I'll have to rethink parts of this, or at least change the business model. Funny enough I got an email this morning from a bride only wanting 4 hours of coverage. I'm torn if I should book her, or wait and maybe get the spot filled later on.

hmm...

SirStuey
284 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 07, 2010 12:02 |  #12

I'm not a pro, but I can't see how this would hurt the industry more. I do think that you'd be hurting your own business.

An analogy would be a top chef like Gordon Ramsey opening up a low-cost fast food eatery. Yes, it would allow him to attract different clientele, but a conflict is bound to happen.

I really think that at some point you would run into problems trying to cover both ends of the spectrum in parallel.

Ask yourself this - what will happen if your low-fee venture booms?

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 07, 2010 12:44 |  #13

SirStuey wrote in post #11240760 (external link)
Ask yourself this - what will happen if your low-fee venture booms?

You work you butt off for no profit. Then you take up a second job to help pay your bills. No fun.

Bryan

casp3r
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Nov 08, 2010 10:10 |  #14

Sorry but this is coming from a total noob (when it comes to shooting weddings and the business side of it), but do you have a second shooter that could become the primary shooter on these low budget shoots. Then it is something else to add as a product. You're not being taken away from bigger budget shoots and you're offering a stripped down product. The B&G know exactly what they're getting at the end of the day - 3 or 4 hours shooting, 1 or 2 locations, unedited photos on a cd at the end of the day, no prints or album.

I see it as no different to buying a computer - Dell offer all singing, all dancing PCs at £1000+ and budget machines around £400. Does it affect their business? I don't think so, they just cater for everyone.

http://www.mcarberypho​to.co.uk (external link)
http://www.niaviation.​co.uk (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 08, 2010 12:12 |  #15

if that is the case... why don't you just offer a ceremony only package...

we've thought about this... but opposite. Creating a much much higher priced photography company for those certain individuals who only want to pay top dollar for the best of the best. Why? Cause "that" guy in my town now just isn't that great. But he managed to break into that market so he gets $6000 minimum just for showing up. I ain't gonna lie... i'm a little jealous. :)

The problem though... what happens when you're found out? As pro photographers, especially on the wedding side, have to sell themselves, not just their photo skills. If you're are doing the shooting for both companies, how are you going to market yourself... put on a wig and fake mustache and hope nobody notices?

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebook (external link) | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographers (external link) - The seriously outdated website.

sponsored links

2,585 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good idea/Bad idea?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.